Texas Fishing Forum

Something many of us dont take advantage of and use....

Posted By: JkWho

Something many of us dont take advantage of and use.... - 07/08/15 04:32 PM

A husband and his wife were ejected from a boat in Alabama in late March when the husband reached for his sunglasses as they were blowing off his head, the boat circled, and they were both struck by the propeller.

Be careful out there!

Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Something many of us dont take advantage of and use.... - 07/08/15 09:03 PM

Excellent reminder. God knows I've gotten way too careless about not wearing a kill switch lanyard anytime the motor is on.

I'm that doofus you see with the boat driving itself at trolling speeds while I'm rigging fishing gear. No more.
Posted By: H-TownCrappieMan

Re: Something many of us dont take advantage of and use.... - 07/08/15 11:50 PM

Thanks. As much as its a hassle to keep restarting the boat, we make it a habit to keep that kill switch hooked up.
Posted By: whnigt

Re: Something many of us dont take advantage of and use.... - 07/09/15 12:00 PM

I know I'm going to get beat up over this but. He only learned part of the lesson. Kill switch hooked up, but still no life vest on either one while running the big motor. Yes I was one of those who didn't wear the vest,kill switch all the time, that changed for me years ago. It was due to an accident years ago, not to me but to someone's brother I met do to a lost phone. It's a long story.
Posted By: JkWho

Re: Something many of us dont take advantage of and use.... - 07/09/15 01:27 PM

No need to beat you up over that at all, you are absolutely right. Needless to say it would be great for all people to take all safety measures all the time, but we all know that is a dream. Whatever it takes to get people to remember to be safe is key...
Posted By: Fritz423

Re: Something many of us dont take advantage of and use.... - 07/09/15 04:38 PM

I hate to point this out, but even if you wear a life jacket and hook up your kill switch and watch the weather and don't drink and drive you're STILL going to die some day.

Enjoy the fishing while you can!
Posted By: Knot Normal

Re: Something many of us dont take advantage of and use.... - 07/15/15 02:18 AM

Yep the kill switch will save your life! We were driving over Stienhagen lake (Dam B) last month and while we were on the bridge someone looked out and saw a skiff in the river channel above the bridge with a tiller motor going in circles around a guy trying to avoid it. Kill switch and life jacket a must have.
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: Something many of us dont take advantage of and use.... - 07/15/15 02:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Fritz423
I hate to point this out, but even if you wear a life jacket and hook up your kill switch and watch the weather and don't drink and drive you're STILL going to die some day.

Enjoy the fishing while you can!

Exactly!! So control the things you can....wear a seat belt, wear your life jacket and kill switch. You may be able to enjoy fishing many more years.
Posted By: Bittercreek

Re: Something many of us dont take advantage of and use.... - 07/15/15 03:27 AM

All the above. Words of Wisdom.
Accidents on the water do, an Will happen.
When they do. They happen quick.
Be safe.
Godbless.
Posted By: DCS

Re: Something many of us dont take advantage of and use.... - 07/15/15 04:53 AM

Thanks for posting.
Posted By: Santonio Banderas

Re: Something many of us dont take advantage of and use.... - 07/23/15 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By: whnigt
I know I'm going to get beat up over this but. He only learned part of the lesson. Kill switch hooked up, but still no life vest on either one while running the big motor. Yes I was one of those who didn't wear the vest,kill switch all the time, that changed for me years ago. It was due to an accident years ago, not to me but to someone's brother I met do to a lost phone. It's a long story.

Agreed, I have my kill switch hooked to my life jacket and I make my any passengers wear life jackets. I have a wife who Is a very strong swimmer and our oldest son who is a life guard and they fought me on this at first. If you get tossed out of a boat going any speed and get knocked out or hurt it does not matter if you could swim across the ocean.... You could drown very easily. When I get in my boat the life jackets come out and everyone has one on.... Is it cool? No it don't look cool I'm sure but it's pretty cool for me to make sure when running 70 +mph that at least we have life jackets and that kill switch ready to do their job. Anyone who thinks its a hassle to wear either one would change their mind real fast if the [censored] hit the fan.
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: Something many of us dont take advantage of and use.... - 07/27/15 02:02 PM

Good post, the sad part it those of us who wear our jackets and use a kill switch will stand up in the pew and holler "AMEN"! But the ones who do not will glance at this thread and blow it off.

I was on Livingston this weekend, the number of boats without anyone wearing a PFD was amazing, and then to top it off I saw too many kids in moving boats without a vest of any kind on. I just shook my head and kept fishing.
Posted By: Santonio Banderas

Re: Something many of us dont take advantage of and use.... - 07/27/15 08:06 PM

There's a video on YouTube of a cool guy in a skeeter i with a 300 on it that is going 73 down Rayburn and no life jacket.....!his wife had one on but I'm sure he is way to cool for that. The nfl player that died in Lavon 2 weeks ago thought the same thing. It's very sad that he would still be here if he would have put a life jacket on. Life jackets and kill switches are not made to be cool and impress they are made to help (and I said help) save lives.
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Something many of us dont take advantage of and use.... - 07/27/15 08:12 PM

Everyone has known someone who died or were injured on the water not paying attention or being safe.
Be careful out there
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Something many of us dont take advantage of and use.... - 07/27/15 11:24 PM

kill switch saved me,, hit a floater in the fog on Ray Roberts.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum