Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Texoma

Posted By: Fisher Jack

Lake Texoma - 06/30/15 01:03 PM

One post on Fishing Below the dam on the Red River said it may be until the fall before you can fish Texoma?? What is the situation at the lake? Is it open for fishing and are people catching stripers or bass? Thanks
Posted By: RexW

Re: Lake Texoma - 06/30/15 01:37 PM

Texoma is "open" for fishing, but access is seriously limited. Most, if not all, of the boat ramps are underwater and not usable.

The fishing reports have been mixed, but for the most part, the lake is very muddy and fishing is difficult. Water is still going over the spillway, but that should stop sometime this week. Hopefully, the lake will start to clear up once it drops below the spillway. It may be the end of the summer before the water level gets low enough to reopen the boat ramps. frown

Basically, the current situation of the lake is just plain sad.
Posted By: DaggerDoc1

Re: Lake Texoma - 06/30/15 04:59 PM

I'd like to get on the river below the dam in my boat. Anyone know a place a guy can put in on the river? I fished on the lake Father's Day weekend and caught a good number of stripers but looks like the biggest action is below the dam. Any help would be appreciated.
Posted By: RexW

Re: Lake Texoma - 06/30/15 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: DaggerDoc1
I'd like to get on the river below the dam in my boat. Anyone know a place a guy can put in on the river?

There are no boat ramps on the river near the dam. Some folks launch their boats from the sandy beach area on the Oklahoma side right below the dam. A four wheel drive tow vehicle is recommended if you want to try it.

But, you might might want to take a look at this post before launching your boat in the river. There is some nasty stuff in the river that can be hard on a boat.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/10936121/THINGS_ARE_UGLY...TEXOMA!#Post10936121

Posted By: Fisher Jack

Re: Lake Texoma - 07/02/15 06:49 PM

Thanks to all who answered my question. I will wait until fall.
Posted By: Reeladdict15

Re: Lake Texoma - 07/03/15 02:13 PM

Great thread!
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Lake Texoma - 07/04/15 02:00 AM

I was there this morning around 6 a m, it rained like hell for 4-5 hours, darndest year I have ever seen.
Posted By: ridinonthepad

Re: Lake Texoma - 07/04/15 11:16 PM

I live on Texoma about 1 mile from Highport Marina. I went up in the tower at Tanglewood yesterday. The entire lake is red. Worst of all is the suffering and hardship everyone around here who depend on the lake for a living are experiencing.

Re: Lake Texoma - 07/04/15 11:19 PM

I live on Texoma about 1 mile from Highport Marina. I went up in the tower at Tanglewood yesterday. The entire lake is red. Worst of all is the suffering and hardship everyone around here who depend on the lake for a living are experiencing. If you have never been here you should try to visit and fish when this is over. Texoma is a very large ad beautful lake. Sad is not a strong enough term to describe this disaster.

Re: Lake Texoma - 07/04/15 11:21 PM

Sorry for the screwed up post. I ran out of room.

Re: Lake Texoma - 07/04/15 11:23 PM

Sorry for the screwed up post. I ran out of room.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Lake Texoma - 07/05/15 02:37 PM

It is indeed a sight for sore eyes, probably be September before it gets back to normal.
Posted By: Fritz423

Re: Lake Texoma - 07/06/15 06:33 AM

Yuppers. I usually take the wife up to Texoma several times a year but this year we haven't and probably won't until fall.

Gotta be tough on the local economy.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Lake Texoma - 07/06/15 09:44 PM

More flooding rains in OK predicted tomorrow. Doesn't look like the end is in sight.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Lake Texoma - 07/07/15 05:06 PM

Could it go over 3 times in 1 year?
Posted By: TGalyon1

Re: Lake Texoma - 07/12/15 01:13 AM

If you get out on the lake be carefull. The last time I was out if you saw a limb it would have a tree just under the water.

You can get lake info and see damaged boats, roads and docks from the flood and or storm

https://www.facebook.com/TowBoatUS.Lake.Texoma?fref=ts
Posted By: Budward

Re: Lake Texoma - 07/13/15 02:07 PM

I went out yesterday and it's fine as long as you use common sense, the water is starting to clear up a little, its still pretty muddy but its improving. Also the lake won't go over the spillway a third time, its already crested and started coming back down, so RELAX and think Positive. There were quite a few boats out yesterday it sure is good to see signs of life out there. You can safely launch from highport btw just use the same route the water taxi's use.
Posted By: txtac

Re: Lake Texoma - 07/14/15 09:53 PM

I read yesterday that Highport is only open to members of Highport and for water taxis because there is not enough parking for them to open yet.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum