Texas Fishing Forum

Fishing Yellowstone River

Posted By: butch sanders

Fishing Yellowstone River - 06/07/15 10:06 PM

i am going to Dubois, Wyoming. The yellowstone River is close.
of course i am bringing ultra-lite rods
should i also bring a bass rig with some plugs & swim baits?

how big are the fish?
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Fishing Yellowstone River - 06/07/15 11:00 PM

I fished the Yellowstone when I was in Billings, Montana. All we caught were what they call white fish. They have some sure enough fangs in their mouth. I would hire a fly fishing guide to take you out because I was pretty much lost its so different from southern fisheries.

Re: Fishing Yellowstone River - 06/08/15 02:44 AM

thats what i think too
i fish spinning tackle, so i am going to try whaat i think could work
been skunked in a lot of foreign waters with that aproach also
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Fishing Yellowstone River - 06/08/15 05:18 AM

Bring a camera too. Its amazing country up there.

Re: Fishing Yellowstone River - 06/08/15 12:20 PM

wow

gonna be a tough hike down to the shore

beautiful
Posted By: eagle 2

Re: Fishing Yellowstone River - 06/11/15 05:07 PM

Good luck to you, read up on the rules, they vary section to section, generally barbless, only 2 of 3 hooks of a treble allowed, bring pliers to meet this requirement
Posted By: eagle 2

Re: Fishing Yellowstone River - 06/11/15 05:10 PM

The cutthroat come in several varieties, have the guide book handy, know your section and bag limits, caught some bigguns, posted in the photo section years ago, hunt the little streams that feed in, you can get some really nice ones that are coming off the spawn
Posted By: Fwt

Re: Fishing Yellowstone River - 06/12/15 09:54 AM

No swim baits.

They're big for cutts, but there aren't many left compared to 20 years ago. Any you catch treat w wet hands and barbless hooks. You also will probably be out fished by fly fisherman.

Or rent a boat and murder lake trout. You'd be doing everyone a favor and you could use your swim baits.

Edit- the Yellowstone isn't "close." Driving either way is slow, though pretty. If you're in Dubois, you're staying on a major river...
Posted By: CedarCreekWoody

Re: Fishing Yellowstone River - 06/19/15 03:33 PM

Not on the Yellowstone but I fished the Snake River at Jackson a couple weeks ago. It is flowing and and muddy now with the heavy snow melt. Much different than late summer.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Fishing Yellowstone River - 06/19/15 03:56 PM

Your spinning rods with 4-6lb mono with some Mepps spinners and some small spoons. You will get bite with this approach including on the smaller rivers right there by town. And as Fwt mentioned above^^^^^ the Yellowstone river isn't "right there". Good luck.
Posted By: RexW

Re: Fishing Yellowstone River - 06/19/15 04:07 PM

Buddy, Dubois is located south of Yellowstone NP, but the Yellowstone river flows out of the north end of the park. You might want to consider fishing either the Wind River or the Snake River, they will be closer to you and you'll have to drive by them to get to the Yellowstone River.

With that said, last week the Yellowstone still looked like chocolate milk, but it had cleared up considerably between Monday and Saturday. It probably has another week or so before it will start fishing real well. Inside the park, your ultra-light stuff should be fine, but as the river leaves the park it gets larger and you may like having heavier gear available. Park's Fly Shop in Gardiner, MT can give you current information on the Yellowstone River. (If a girl answers the phone, that will be my daughter.)

Posted By: roadtrip

Re: Fishing Yellowstone River - 06/19/15 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: butch sanders

how big are the fish?

Hey Butch, if you get over near the Little Bighorn, watch your hair!
Posted By: grandpa75672

Re: Fishing Yellowstone River - 06/20/15 05:45 AM

My brother and I were taking our Mom on what was to be her last trip out West.
We stopped in Yellowstone for a day and stood in that cold water trying to be
fly fish anglers. Neither one of us knew what we were doing but we had fun
and froze from the knees down. That water is cold even in the middle of summer.

Re: Fishing Yellowstone River - 06/21/15 04:27 PM

skunked
once we got there i figured out what the rivers names were
they all were really flowing
i fished creeks with the little spinners & went to a lake in Shoshone National Forest
lets just say 13 year old girls & a million gnats did not mix
i have a lot to learn about that type of fishing
& you need to invest time
i was with my family of 4, 2 of them who do not understand fishing
i honestly thought i was going to catch something on every cast
i have a lot to learn & next time will set aside a day by myself for fishing a place called Brooks Lake
i had a really great time & saw some beautiful stuff & spend premium time with my people
Thanx for y'alls input

Re: Fishing Yellowstone River - 06/21/15 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: roadtrip
Originally Posted By: butch sanders

how big are the fish?

Hey Butch, if you get over near the Little Bighorn, watch your hair!

yep
but mainly now, they really freak out on Grizzlies
every store you went into, they told you about the guy they carried off the mountain in a 5 gallon bucket
while showing you the $50 can of bear spray

Re: Fishing Yellowstone River - 06/21/15 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: RexW
Buddy, Dubois is located south of Yellowstone NP, but the Yellowstone river flows out of the north end of the park. You might want to consider fishing either the Wind River or the Snake River, they will be closer to you and you'll have to drive by them to get to the Yellowstone River.

With that said, last week the Yellowstone still looked like chocolate milk, but it had cleared up considerably between Monday and Saturday. It probably has another week or so before it will start fishing real well. Inside the park, your ultra-light stuff should be fine, but as the river leaves the park it gets larger and you may like having heavier gear available. Park's Fly Shop in Gardiner, MT can give you current information on the Yellowstone River. (If a girl answers the phone, that will be my daughter.)

awesome for her
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum