Texas Fishing Forum

Joe Pool will be up for a while

Posted By: Smithaven

Joe Pool will be up for a while - 05/21/15 01:53 PM

A back of the envelope calculation show Joe Pool may be high for a while.

The Corps of engineers data page shows a water release rate of 900 cu ft/ second. That is 3,342,000 cu.ft/hour or 74.38 acre ft/hr. Joe Pool is 6469 acres. Divide, and you get .01149 ft/hr. Times 24 hours/day gives .2759 ft/day.The lake is 7.93 feet high. Divide, and you get 28.73 days to get back to conservation pool. The lake is usable at 4 feet high, so it will take 14.24 days to get back to 4 feet high.

So we are talking a month to get back to level full or 2 weeks to get the water out of the parking lot. Of course, that assumes no more water comes in and the Corps keeps the same release rate.

Bummer. I sure hope I slipped a decimal point.
Posted By: Ariel Mendez

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while - 05/21/15 05:41 PM

eek2
Posted By: mjaatc

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while - 05/21/15 07:40 PM

I wish your math was wrong, But.... It looks pretty correct to me. frown
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while - 05/21/15 08:29 PM

I notice bardwell is up over 9 feet above.
This lake might actually fish halfway decent with the water that high.

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while - 05/22/15 01:24 PM

This flood is going to be hard on the marinas. Walker, the owner of Lynn Creek Marina, estimated that he will lose $100,000 on the Memorial Day weekend alone, not to mention the day-to-day loss of business and the repair costs.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while - 05/22/15 05:45 PM

Gotta be good for loyd park tho just hope they keep it open.
Posted By: joebass2

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while - 05/22/15 05:54 PM

It's worse than that.

I'm showing at the current level Joe Pool is approximately 73,000 acre ft higher than conservation level. It's holding 248,000 acre_ft now at 8.5' high....normal level is 175,000 acre ft. Subtracting 175 from 248 is 73,000 acre_ft. At your rate of 74 acre_ft per hour release, that's almost 1000 hours, or 42 days to get back to normal......and that's with NO more inflow.

Four feet high is about 205,000 acre-ft - 175,000 , or 30,000 acre feet high. Would reach that level in 17 days with NO more inflow.

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while - 05/22/15 06:21 PM

Thanks for the update. It looks like a long wet spell. The good news is 42 days will put us into July so we can count on dry weather. The bad news is they are not releasing water this morning.
Posted By: joebass2

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while - 05/22/15 09:26 PM

I'm thinking the Corp of Eng is going to have to be careful and probably alternate releases between Lake Worth, Joe Pool/Mountain Creek, Grapevine, and Lewisville to prevent flooding in Coppell and downtown Dallas. Of course, if all these lakes all hit spillway level, there's nothing they can do.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while - 05/23/15 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Smithaven
A back of the envelope calculation show Joe Pool may be high for a while.

The Corps of engineers data page shows a water release rate of 900 cu ft/ second. That is 3,342,000 cu.ft/hour or 74.38 acre ft/hr. Joe Pool is 6469 acres. Divide, and you get .01149 ft/hr. Times 24 hours/day gives .2759 ft/day.The lake is 7.93 feet high. Divide, and you get 28.73 days to get back to conservation pool. The lake is usable at 4 feet high, so it will take 14.24 days to get back to 4 feet high.
You have way too much time on your hands! :-) Actually, while I know the governing authorities need to lower the levels to make room for future runoff, I would love the water to stay up in this new flooded vegetation so I could fish it when it clears up.
Posted By: RiverBanks

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while - 05/23/15 08:53 PM

This flood is going to be hard on the marinas. Walker, the owner of Lynn Creek Marina, estimated that he will lose $100,000 on the Memorial Day weekend alone, not to mention the day-to-day loss of business and the repair costs.

Hats off to Mr. Walker. He spent some money to build a temporary walkway so slip owners could get to their boats during this period. He is willing to spend the money to keep his slips available to his lease holders.

The owners of Joe Pool Marina aren't willing to spend any money to help their slip owners reach their boats.

I do hope those slip holders remember this when it is time to renew their leases at Joe Pool Marina.
Posted By: dw173

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while - 05/23/15 10:21 PM

With Ray Roberts, Lewisville,and Grapevine all dumping into the same flood area as Joe Pool it may not be open for a month. The gates cant be opened much if at all due to adding to that downstream flooding. I think 2 weeks is very conservative to bring it down to a usable level, (4) ft high. It just poured here again and with the forecast calling for on and off rain for at least awhile I would guess closer to a month to get down enough to get cleaned up and usable.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while - 05/24/15 05:06 PM

10 ft high now came up almost 2 ft overnight.bet some of those pontoons would have trouble getting under the bridges
Posted By: nitro_898

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while - 05/24/15 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: RiverBanks

Hats off to Mr. Walker. He spent some money to build a temporary walkway so slip owners could get to their boats during this period. He is willing to spend the money to keep his slips available to his lease holders.

The owners of Joe Pool Marina aren't willing to spend any money to help their slip owners reach their boats.

I do hope those slip holders remember this when it is time to renew their leases at Joe Pool Marina.

It's closed now, I just received an email from the marina. I just hope they follow through with their promise to notify those who lease dry slips so we can get our boats out before the road is blocked. They have assured me multiple times they will notify everyone.

the following is the content of an email from Lynn Creek Marina received today:

Absolutely no one is allowed on property at this time. It is getting too dangerous. We will keep everyone updated on when you will be allowed to come back and check on your boats and property. Thank you.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while - 05/25/15 01:11 PM

Jp will go over it's tiny spillway in another 2.5 ft. Gv can hold another 6 plus ft. Don't look good for folks down south.

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while - 05/25/15 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Muzzlebrake
Jp will go over it's tiny spillway in another 2.5 ft. Gv can hold another 6 plus ft. Don't look good for folks down south.

The spillway at Joe Pool is at 541 feet ASL. The current level is 533.5. It should be able to rise another 7.5 feet before going over the spillway. It may well do it.

I cannot believe that only a week ago I made the comment that I could not imagine it going that high.
Posted By: nitro_898

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while - 05/25/15 07:15 PM

The level has jumped 3 feet in 2 days. It's now 11.45 over and about 2 feet inside the dry storage area. I went and got my boat out today. They cut a hole in the back fence to access the area thru the repair yard.

Posted By: cellis

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while - 05/25/15 08:26 PM

eeks
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while - 05/25/15 10:23 PM

Thanks. Google search I did had it at 536.
Posted By: meP2too

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while - 05/25/15 11:24 PM

6 pm news showed part of the marina broken away from the main area

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while - 05/27/15 01:13 AM

News tonight says Oasis restaurant is taking on water.
Posted By: RPD

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while - 05/27/15 04:15 AM

and 2 to 3 more inches of rain in the area tonight...ugh..
Posted By: BigCaseyB206

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while - 05/28/15 02:59 AM

I've got my boat in dry storage at Lynn Creek Marina. They sent me an email today - they are asking all residents to vacate their units. I checked my unit and water was just starting to creep in. Can't do anything until tomorrow about it .

Never thought it could be this high
Posted By: wagonwheel

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while - 05/28/15 09:44 AM

Does anyone know if you can launch at Loyd?
Posted By: BigCaseyB206

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while - 05/28/15 05:52 PM

I don't think so, but when in doubt, call before you go.

I pulled my boat out of dry storage today - the level of water has risen 4"-5" overnight. The marina actually had one of their pontoon boats motoring inside the storage lot!
Posted By: Bill J

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while - 05/28/15 06:09 PM

What I saw was the lake itself is closed to all boaters and traffic so even if you could launch, they have closed off the lake to people.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while - 05/29/15 05:18 AM

I am pretty sure it is closed. I was there about a week ago and it was to the point of almost being under. With the water they got since, I doubt you could launch anything there
Posted By: RPD

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while - 05/29/15 03:16 PM

It is closed
Posted By: Bill.B

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while - 05/31/15 07:39 PM

Me and My Daughter went to Check out the Lake and Spillway This afternoon here a couple of pics . Sorry about the glare from the windshield couldn't stop long enough to take a pic from outside the truck .

Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while - 06/01/15 12:26 PM

a friend has his boat at one of the marinas and was at the lake yesterday. The entire lake is closed, not just the ramps. the police had a boat out patrolling and found someone with a boat on the water and made them leave.
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while - 06/01/15 01:46 PM

Hopefully these lakes can dump some water before the rains come again.

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while (updated) - 06/01/15 04:55 PM

I repeated the calculation which started this tread, and got 18 1/2 days to get rid if the excess water at the present release rate providing no more water comes in. That is using the amount of water stored versus the amount stored at conservation level. It has dropped over a foot since they started letting water out.
Posted By: xmatador

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while (updated) - 06/01/15 08:28 PM

Yep, there is/was a sign by Lynn Creek Marina stating that lake was closed to public access. I don't think you can find a ramp above water at the current level.
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while (updated) - 06/01/15 08:39 PM

Loyd park has people signing an acknowledgement sheet that you will not enter the water, before you can enter the park. No swimming, wading, no water access by any means. And there are signs posted everywhere.

This was last Thursday when I went, before it came up another 3 feet from the storm early Friday morning.

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while (updated) - 06/01/15 10:06 PM

The woods north of Joe Pool to I20 are flooded worse than ever before.
I do not know how much water the lake can let out before it threatens those auto scrap places west of 1382
Posted By: acfatcat

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while (updated) - 06/03/15 08:07 PM

Drove down Camp Wisdom going west this morning and the water was not near the road like it was Monday night.

Re: Joe Pool will be up for a while - 06/04/15 02:49 PM

The water release has slowed to a relative trickle (372 cfs). The level has dropped only 0.2 ft in the last 24 hours. The lake is 13.84 feet high.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum