Texas Fishing Forum

Just a rumor....

Posted By: DaggerDoc1

Just a rumor.... - 05/12/15 01:50 AM

So I have been told they are going to open Ray Roberts spillway up 100% tomorrow possibly flooding out/ locking in some homes south of the damn. State troopers are going door to door informing folks. Anyone else hear of this? Prayers to those downstream if it's true but I def trust my source.
Posted By: PhishWhisperer

Re: Just a rumor.... - 05/12/15 04:50 AM

If you live in ANY river bottom below a dam it's only a matter of when, not if!
Posted By: ForkFisher

Re: Just a rumor.... - 05/12/15 06:55 AM

The Denton County Office of Emergency Management is providing the following notice to residents who live around Lake Ray Roberts: "The Denton County Office of Emergency Management is providing you notice that the National Weather Service is forecasting approximately 10-12 inches of rainfall through May 17, 2015. In conjunction with the forecasted rainfall, the United States Corps of Engineers anticipates releasing water from the Ray Roberts reservoir sometime within the next 12-24 hours. Please make preparations to ready yourself and your family to evacuate your residence within the next 12 hours. You may be requested to evacuate on short notice via a recorded phone message based on your residential 9-1-1 number. Preparations should be made to be away from your residence for a minimum of 24 hours up to approximately 48 hours. To sign up for emergency notifications, visit www.dentoncounty.com/emergencynotifications."
Posted By: davidsonbasser

Re: Just a rumor.... - 05/12/15 07:21 AM

Apparently its true. My father works over in Aubrey area and some folks were mentioning it there as well.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Just a rumor.... - 05/12/15 12:26 PM

Almost 2000cfs being released this morning.
Posted By: Fishbreeder

Re: Just a rumor.... - 05/12/15 02:28 PM

Generally speaking, when lake waters rise to the point of causing minor damage to the backyards of gazillionaire lake house owners, the Corp releases huge amounts of water to save the backyard grass around the lake's edges. If this floods entire towns, damages homes and vehicles and disrupts life to downstream river dwellers, so what? The wealthy movers and shakers are happy.

Someday we'll all learn that "IT" is not about water, fish, exotic species, weeds in the water, fishing regulations, floods, droughts, etc. "IT" is about politics, power and money.
Posted By: CDubSmith2

Re: Just a rumor.... - 05/12/15 02:40 PM

Shouldn't you be in your storm shelter, waiting for Armageddon?
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Just a rumor.... - 05/12/15 03:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishbreeder
Generally speaking, when lake waters rise to the point of causing minor damage to the backyards of gazillionaire lake house owners, the Corp releases huge amounts of water to save the backyard grass around the lake's edges. If this floods entire towns, damages homes and vehicles and disrupts life to downstream river dwellers, so what? The wealthy movers and shakers are happy.

Someday we'll all learn that "IT" is not about water, fish, exotic species, weeds in the water, fishing regulations, floods, droughts, etc. "IT" is about politics, power and money.

loco

Re: Just a rumor.... - 05/12/15 03:18 PM

how many lake front houses are there on Ray Roberts, exactly?
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Just a rumor.... - 05/12/15 03:19 PM

I think it has more to do with the integrity of the earthen dam.

Re: Just a rumor.... - 05/12/15 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: 04champ
how many lake front houses are there on Ray Roberts, exactly?

Looking at Google Earth, I see only a few farm houses.

Re: Just a rumor.... - 05/12/15 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: ChuChu1
I think it has more to do with the integrity of the earthen dam.

this is absolutely the case. Minor flooding is far more acceptable than potential disaster if there was a failure of either the Ray Roberts or Lewisville dams

Re: Just a rumor.... - 05/12/15 03:42 PM

Looking at the Ray Roberts Dam, it has no high water spillway. IF the water gets too high, it can cause the over saturation of the dam and a possible breach which would only get worse as the dam eroded. The only way to let water out are the gates, and there aren't many of them.

Re: Just a rumor.... - 05/12/15 03:56 PM

there is a spillway west of the dam, you can see it from 455
Posted By: lare2

Re: Just a rumor.... - 05/12/15 03:59 PM

any pics

Re: Just a rumor.... - 05/12/15 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By: 04champ
there is a spillway west of the dam, you can see it from 455

It doesn't show up on Google Earth. I'm not real familiar with 455, but isn't that a little too far up the lake to da much good?

Re: Just a rumor.... - 05/12/15 04:09 PM

OK, I see it now. Just a lay of the land, not part of the dam structure itself.

Re: Just a rumor.... - 05/12/15 04:12 PM

I'm not sure what elevation it is at, but I'm sure they would like to avoid it getting that high

Re: Just a rumor.... - 05/12/15 04:35 PM

It looks like a lot of development below that spillway. And if the 12 to 20" of rain is accurate, could cause some misery to that development.
Posted By: AGSWON

Re: Just a rumor.... - 05/12/15 09:04 PM

Open the gates. It's better than a complete breech of the dam. If you chose to live in the 100-year flood zone, you are about to get a reminder as to why that's a bad idea. Hope you have flood insurance.
Posted By: ChrisTexan

Re: Just a rumor.... - 05/14/15 12:06 PM

There is a 100' long concrete spillway at the west end of the dam. Official flood pool max is 640.5, the level they don't want to exceed (when they get aggressive about releasing) due to lakeside flooding above that. If they can't keep the level below that, the uncontrolled spillway is 5' higher. It has never been topped yet since the dam was built, but is designed for that, and feeds directly back to the main river channel in it's own cross-channel.
Keep in mind lewisville's spillway is 560ft long, has been overtopped 5 times since built, and in 2007 was a several feet deep flow at the peak, and had a duration of three weeks before returning to the controlled pool. The news keeps misusing the word spillway, right now the "floodgates" are releasing, but not the spillways. Some dams combine those functions with gates above the spillways, but ours are separate on those two.
Posted By: Chuck N. Wind

Re: Just a rumor.... - 05/14/15 07:55 PM

Anyone know if they ever fixed the spillway height on Ray Bob, or will highway 377 still flood first before water goes over the spillway?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum