Texas Fishing Forum

Lakes too full

Posted By: blooper961

Lakes too full - 05/11/15 08:59 PM

Never thought I could say that a couple of years ago.
Ray Roberts is showing a whopping 6.55 feet over.
Most are 3-4 feet over.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Lakes too full - 05/11/15 09:14 PM

Send the extra to the west, we are still really low!
Posted By: JRR

Re: Lakes too full - 05/11/15 09:34 PM

And Ray Roberts is gonna get higher with all the water still flowing in feeder creeks, my creek feeds into Spring Creek and it's still flowing strong, same with Buck Creek well away from the lake. Cedar Mills marina on Texoma sent us an email update since we keep boat there, basically 3 more feet and main road in will be closed and have to use alternate route from north. Much higher and electric may be disconnected to docks and adding length to dock ramps. Launch ramp closed. May end up being like a private lake for those of us with boats in slips if all ramps end up closed.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Lakes too full - 05/11/15 09:35 PM

Yep, Hubbard Creek is still 29' low. Wish we could pump some of that extra water here.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Lakes too full - 05/11/15 09:36 PM

Lakes too full?

Our lakes are too empty!
Posted By: davidsonbasser

Re: Lakes too full - 05/11/15 10:15 PM

Well, I just hope people dont complain. This time last year we were praying and practically begging the gods for rain. You get what you pray for, folks. We are blessed to have lakes too full around here. Better to be too full than empty.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Lakes too full - 05/12/15 12:43 AM

Texoma is too full. Went up there today and all the boats ramps I saw were closed except the Corp ramp at the dam. There was a pile of flotsam (woodchips, plastic, Styrofoam, etc) about three foot high at the ramp and a thick skip of similar material for a about five feet out.

I came back home. Looks like another week without fishing.
Posted By: Rhaider

Re: Lakes too full - 05/12/15 01:56 AM

Went out to Grapevine today and the ramps I usually use were completely flooded into the parking lots. Thankfully I was on the kayak!
Posted By: SpiderJig

Re: Lakes too full - 05/12/15 01:59 AM

Originally Posted By: davidsonbasser
Well, I just hope people dont complain. This time last year we were praying and practically begging the gods for rain. You get what you pray for, folks. We are blessed to have lakes too full around here. Better to be too full than empty.
too late, this place is full of guys complaining. Pathetic really
Posted By: Dosser

Re: Lakes too full - 05/12/15 07:27 AM

Originally Posted By: SpiderJig
Originally Posted By: davidsonbasser
too late, this place is full of guys complaining. Pathetic really

+1

I'll trade them the overfull and closed for safety lakes for our dry lakes out west any day, tell em to be thankful and quit griping!
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: Lakes too full - 05/12/15 12:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
Lakes too full?

Our lakes are too empty!

Lake Waxahachie is just right.
Posted By: NITRO Z8

Re: Lakes too full - 05/12/15 01:05 PM

People just cannot be happy about nothing it seems. You'd think they would be happy with water in the lakes now. Just give it time for all the floater to go down though. Fishing should pick up for sure and sure wish the west would fill.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Lakes too full - 05/12/15 02:10 PM

I am elated about most of our lakes being full around here, I am not elated about the possibility of 10 inches of rain that is predicted for this week, could get really interesting.

Re: Lakes too full - 05/12/15 02:23 PM

It's always been that way!
There's a remedy to both the situations since you can't do anything about it, and that is....Just deal with it!
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Lakes too full - 05/12/15 03:42 PM

We'll take all you don't want down here in south Texas. Falcon and Amistad are down 25+, so send it this way.
Posted By: lare2

Re: Lakes too full - 05/12/15 03:59 PM

any pictures...
Posted By: Skip

Re: Lakes too full - 05/12/15 04:20 PM

Any lake never has to much water. There are several lakes in south and west Texas that need more water. Hope they get some before it stops.
Posted By: formula462

Re: Lakes too full - 05/12/15 06:01 PM

Originally Posted By: JRR
Launch ramp closed. May end up being like a private lake for those of us with boats in slips if all ramps end up closed.

except for those pesky yakkers
Posted By: DaveRTX

Re: Lakes too full - 05/12/15 06:04 PM

How's Medina doing? It was a creek last I saw.
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Lakes too full - 05/12/15 06:21 PM

Ray Roberts is releasing water which will flood homes south of it.
If they do not, homes north and east of it will flood.
Rock in a hard place here.
Of course the lakes like Lewisville that Roberts drains into is full and will have to release and flood downstream
Posted By: driedmeat

Re: Lakes too full - 05/12/15 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: DaveRTX
How's Medina doing? It was a creek last in saw.

up an inch. only 85.28 ft low!

Re: Lakes too full - 05/12/15 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Skip
Any lake never has to much water. There are several lakes in south and west Texas that need more water. Hope they get some before it stops.
I hate to disagree with you but there are several lakes with too much water around here, so much that it could endanger lives and many homes, I hope you get all the rain you can stand down south but we do not need anymore here.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Lakes too full - 05/13/15 02:15 AM

I quit sewing on the giant air bladder project.
Posted By: FMJshooter

Re: Lakes too full - 05/13/15 02:25 AM

Pretty isolated to north east tx the rest of the state needs a whole lot more.
Posted By: tuner

Re: Lakes too full - 05/13/15 02:41 AM

It's either not enough, or to much in Tejas. I'll take the to much every time. Feel sorry for the folks in the flood zone.
Posted By: cellis

Re: Lakes too full - 05/13/15 11:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Scoundrel
I quit sewing on the giant air bladder project.

grin

Re: Lakes too full - 05/13/15 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: driedmeat
Originally Posted By: DaveRTX
How's Medina doing? It was a creek last in saw.

up an inch. only 85.28 ft low!

If it doesn't rain in or near the town of Medina that lake will stay bone dry.
That lake probably has the smallest watershed in the state and if it doesn't rain between those two hills it doesn't fill up.
Sounds funny but we are looking at the proof! Rain all around and it still doesn't get any water!
It will eventually, but it will usually have to be more localized and constant before it catches enough water to fill up.
Posted By: driedmeat

Re: Lakes too full - 05/13/15 02:50 PM

that's a fact Jimbo. It's a small - but very efficient watershed. Finally getting a good rain up there in the right spot today. It's a start.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Lakes too full - 05/13/15 02:51 PM

The big danger is the integrity of Lewisville dam if RayBob goes over the spillway. Lewisville dam already has seeps and the spillway is degraded and cracked. Carrolton and parts south are in peril right now.
Posted By: ACAMS

Re: Lakes too full - 05/14/15 06:19 PM

Lake Palestine has been too full for 2 months.
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Lakes too full - 05/16/15 12:51 PM

Travis just hit 40% full for the first time in about three years. I'll take too much every time. It will eventually drop. Some people just like to complain and you can't help those types.

Re: Lakes too full - 05/16/15 05:07 PM

When it's been dry for so long and most of the lakes were at all time lows it's a little hard to take someone complaining. When you live as long as I have you've seen the ups and downs and believe me I'll take the ups anyday. You can stay on higher ground, and just don't build in a flood plain and too much water won't bother you.

Re: Lakes too full - 05/17/15 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo
When it's been dry for so long and most of the lakes were at all time lows it's a little hard to take someone complaining. When you live as long as I have you've seen the ups and downs and believe me I'll take the ups anyday. You can stay on higher ground, and just don't build in a flood plain and too much water won't bother you.
I know you need rain, we do not need rain here, our rain does you no good, our rain is doing us more harm than good because our lakes are over pool, I really hope South and West Texas get the rain that they need.
Posted By: The Leadbetter Legend

Re: Lakes too full - 05/17/15 03:27 PM

Lake Palestine Boat Ramps - Checked out Lake Palestine Resort (was M&M Campground)
ramp. The wooden pier is almost under water. Boats were being launched from
the south ramp. Most vehicles had both sets of wheels in the water to launch.
Villages - again, both sets of wheels.
Posted By: Eastexn

Re: Lakes too full - 05/17/15 04:17 PM

I farmed for forty years in Texas and we had a saying, "YOU CAN LIVE WITH THE RAIN,,,,YOU CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT IT".

Until ALL of Texas has benefited from abundant rainfall, including All of Central Texas, All of far west Texas, All of North Texas, and All of the Panhandle, I'm just saying to the prediction of more rain,,,,BRING IT ON. We can handle it.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: Lakes too full - 05/17/15 06:34 PM

COE lakes
http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/drought/drought.htm
Posted By: FMJshooter

Re: Lakes too full - 05/17/15 06:50 PM

Stillhouse was something around 10 feet high 7 or 8 years ago now it's still 13 feet low even after all this rain. Be happy with you can get there's no guarantee what the future will hold and water consumption will continue to rise. I feel for the flooded people but just like folks in hurricane rich areas it comes with the territory.

Re: Lakes too full - 05/17/15 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By: FMJshooter
Stillhouse was something around 10 feet high 7 or 8 years ago now it's still 13 feet low even after all this rain. Be happy with you can get there's no guarantee what the future will hold and water consumption will continue to rise. I feel for the flooded people but just like folks in hurricane rich areas it comes with the territory.

The rains haven't been that widespread, and there are a lot of lakes in west, central and south Texas that still need water and some are still mudholes as the rain has hit in pockets and totally missed those watersheds.
It's a case of some getting more than their share and others getting nothing.
A large tropical system is usually the answer, but we all know what that means and it's usually not good for those caught in the bullseye.
Posted By: Fishcharmer

Re: Lakes too full - 05/18/15 04:22 PM

breakdance This high water means one thing to me....buzzbaits..and if I can't launch , I will catch em from shore!!
Posted By: DaleMcCutchen

Re: Lakes too full - 05/19/15 11:23 PM

No such thing! Everyone be blessed , and think of the fishing afterwards!
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Lakes too full - 05/20/15 12:11 AM

Originally Posted By: DaleMcCutchen
No such thing! Everyone be blessed , and think of the fishing afterwards!

+1000!!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum