Texas Fishing Forum

Ouachita Walleye

Posted By: Allfish

Ouachita Walleye - 04/29/15 11:17 PM

I'm stoked. Heading to Ouachita Lake in Arkansas next week. Bass, Stripers, Crappie and Walleye. Will fish with a guide for a half day to learn about the Walleye techniques and patterns and then the plan is to hammer them. Hope the plan works out. If it doesn't....well so be it....I'll be on Ouachita. banana
Posted By: Duckcreek Davy

Re: Ouachita Walleye - 04/30/15 03:44 AM

I've had a hard time fishing Ouachita in the past. I suspect due to the clarity and depth of the lake,. Good that you are using a guide. Regardless...as you say YOU'LL BE ON OUACHITA! . I love that lake. I'm also a rockhound so I always go to the crystal mines and comb along the lake for quartz crystals while there. Quartz crystal capital of the U.S.! Have fun and let us know how you did.
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: Ouachita Walleye - 04/30/15 01:48 PM

No argument here, love that lake, just have not been in a couple of years. Good call on going with a guide, I want to try the walleye myself next time I am up there.

Enjoy you sorry sucker!
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Ouachita Walleye - 05/05/15 01:12 AM

We just spent 3 days on Ouachita. The weather was incredible, the water was beautiful, the scenery was great but the fishing was rough. If it wan't for white bass, our fishing would have been pretty bad. My Wife did catch 2 nice walleye on back-to-back casts.

By the way; we stayed at Echo Canyon marina and resort. You could not find a cleaner, more organized camp if you tried.The cabins were some of the best we've stayed in. No mattresses wrapped in plastic, plenty of room, full size shower and toilet, and great views from the back porch. If you ever need a place to stay on Ouachita, I recommend Echo Canyon.
Posted By: Timberking

Re: Ouachita Walleye - 05/05/15 02:24 PM

Just got back from my annual camping trip (38 yr). Rough camped around the mouth of Little Blakely for 8 days. Water was a little more colored than usual. Bass bite was good early in the trip using a green plastic. Didn't see any striper action. Couple walleye caught by accident. Trotlines got a few channel and blues. Thats my old stomping ground and I love going back. Lake about 2 feet high. Enjoy!!!
Posted By: Meadowlark

Re: Ouachita Walleye - 05/05/15 10:10 PM

Can't imagine fishing for white bass on Ouachita, LOL .

The stripers there are world renowned. Arguably, it is one of the top striped bass lakes in the World. The last three years, my best fish went 24, 31, and 30 pounds so far this year.

Walleye are great fish....but the striped bass there are truly World Class.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Ouachita Walleye - 05/06/15 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Meadowlark
Can't imagine fishing for white bass on Ouachita, LOL .

The stripers there are world renowned. Arguably, it is one of the top striped bass lakes in the World. The last three years, my best fish went 24, 31, and 30 pounds so far this year.

Walleye are great fish....but the striped bass there are truly World Class.

We weren't fishing for white bass. They were just really stacked up in 2 coves.
Posted By: Allfish

Re: Ouachita Walleye - 05/12/15 10:44 PM

It was a great week of fishing. We didn't slay the walleye but we did well. Brought home a nice cooler of eaters. We slow trolled and casted crank baits. Picked up a good number of spotted bass casting. We even caught some absolute slab bluegills slow trolling for the wallys. What a beautiful lake. Our guide was Mike Worm ex Bass Pro He was a lot of fun and an educational guide. All three guides out of Mountain Harbor are knowledgeable and willing to talk to you even if you have not booked with them. Ouachita will now become an annual trip for me and my wife.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum