Texas Fishing Forum

Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "updated info"

Posted By: TIM CLINE

Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "updated info" - 04/21/15 01:10 PM

"Update: Was told all these fish went to a turtle farm."

I don't think I need to add any comment how wrong this apparent waste is! I wonder if they will come back and fillet them out now or if there is a plan to send them somewhere for fertilizer along with the cans and other trash?
Posted By: lite-liner

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/21/15 01:26 PM

was that this weekend?

class act, those bow "fishers"
mad

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/21/15 01:31 PM

Yes!

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/21/15 01:49 PM

http://www.texasbowfishingassociation.com/tournament%20schedule.htm These guys held the event!
Posted By: Tejas Trofeo

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/21/15 02:23 PM

whats wrong with it?

I can't understand all the negative press that comes along with bowfishing. I for one want my waters filled with sport fish not a bunch of carp and gar. bowfishing is the most effective way to remove those fish

in any case, those fish will not be "wasted" they will be consumed by all manner of critters, birds, etc.

just because a animal or fish is not consumed by a person does not mean its wasted

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/21/15 02:32 PM

Then next event just have them dump all the dead fish in your yard until all manner of critters, birds, etc consume them!

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/21/15 02:35 PM

It does not bother me one bit if they go shoot them! Hey, have at it the population needs control as well! I just hope they have a plan for all those fish.

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/21/15 02:37 PM

Originally Posted By: TIM CLINE
Then next event just have them dump all the dead fish in your yard until all manner of critters, birds, etc consume them!

is that where you throw your carcasses and gut piles after you have just finished filleting fish or cleaning a deer? you throw that stuff in your yard?

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/21/15 02:40 PM

It does not bother me one bit if they go shoot them! Hey, have at it the population needs control as well! I just hope they have a plan for all those fish.

that's just it.....what plan would that be? longnose gar are not a food fish. neither is carp or buffalo (gator gar is pretty good though)

so if one needs to control the population of a species but its not really edible, then what do you do? you just let them overpopulate because no one wants to eat them?

reducing the number of these fish in our waterways is proper management. what is done with them after the fact is secondary to the first priority

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/21/15 02:42 PM

You are the one that asked what was wrong with it? So I assumed you were ok with dead rotting fish smell!

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/21/15 02:44 PM

I do not place my fish guts and remains in someone's front yard.

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/21/15 02:50 PM

You are the one that asked what was wrong with it? So I assumed you were ok with dead rotting fish smell!

I'm ok with bowfishing as long as they are properly disposed of, just like I'm ok with hunting as long as gut piles and carcasses are properly disposed of.

the fish in that dumpster, were they dumped in someones yard?
Posted By: Fishbreeder

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/21/15 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy

that's just it.....what plan would that be? longnose gar are not a food fish. neither is carp or buffalo (gator gar is pretty good though)

so if one needs to control the population of a species but its not really edible, then what do you do? you just let them overpopulate because no one wants to eat them?

Never watched "Bottom Feeders" on Outdoor Network?

Carp and buffalo are both edible species with a commercial market and demand.

My question is, "Is the selective removal of these species part of the overall fisheries management plan? or Not? If so, catch 'em and fill the dumpster, if not, then follow the law of wanton waste (and any others that pertain) and see to it they are used as a resource, not dumped as a liability.

reducing the number of these fish in our waterways is proper management. what is done with them after the fact is secondary to the first priority
Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/21/15 02:53 PM

Just imagine if you lived near the Dogfood factory on the Red River....all they do is grind up fish guts. Imagine working there for a living...Thankful!!

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/21/15 02:56 PM

yes carp and buffalo are "edible" In the sense that you can eat them although few do. you can eat coyotes and bobcats but you don't see people lining up to get a coyote steak.

as far as legalities are concerned, they are within the confines of the law.

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/21/15 03:00 PM

txtrophy, Yes, that dumpster is right in an area where people live. I am fine with Bow fishing and do not care if they grind them up for dog food, chicken food or fertilizer just don't leave them sitting around for a few days!
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/21/15 03:10 PM

Waste of edible fish is illegal. Throwing them to rot in a dumpster like this is 'waste'.
Posted By: Blues

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/21/15 03:13 PM

Only issue I have is disposal. Leaving a dumpster full of rotting anything for people to see and smell isn't right.

Stringers of cats, crappie, bluegill...etc are harvested day in and day out, so there can't be an argument that they are hurting the fishery. If anything they help the population, that's been proven over and over, best way to improve a fishery for trophies and overall health is maintaining the population.
Posted By: Fritz423

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/21/15 03:21 PM

Yeah, I don't have a problem with the tourney or even a ton of dead trash fish.
I have problem with poor public relations. Whoever put on this event should have known this would be bad optics. Some nimrod was obviously going to present this photo to the public with a moan about "waste".
Posted By: Blues

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/21/15 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Waste of edible fish is illegal. Throwing them to rot in a dumpster like this is 'waste'.

Never understood that part "edible" is a broad term. I'm not eating every hog I shoot, haven't actually cleaned one in a long time, but every chance we get we pile them up and leave them for the yotes and buzzards. I'm talking 30 a night if we are hitting some good places. Tpwd is fine with that, but carp and gar are different?

No I don't leave them piled up in places for people to smell either.

Yes I understand hogs are classified as invasive and rough fish are not...I'm speaking of just the contradiction with tpwd and their "waste" and "edible" concerning hogs vs fish.

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/21/15 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Blues
Only issue I have is disposal. Leaving a dumpster full of rotting anything for people to see and smell isn't right.

Stringers of cats, crappie, bluegill...etc are harvested day in and day out, so there can't be an argument that they are hurting the fishery. If anything they help the population, that's been proven over and over, best way to improve a fishery for trophies and overall health is maintaining the population.

I agree with this! Worded better than my original post!

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/21/15 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Blues

I agree 100%. Don't leave a nasty fishy dumpster full to the brim to stink up an area.

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/21/15 04:33 PM

Dumpster crew doesn't work weekends. I'm sure they will be there as scheduled today.

Better in a dumpster than the ramp I would think.
Posted By: hook-line&sinker

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/21/15 04:45 PM

I'm with Blues.. management of carp and gar fall into the same category as feral hogs. The biggest difference is the visibility of the damage and the management there of.

Bowfishing is mostly done in the public space and visible to anyone. Hunting in Texas is mostly on private property and is out of sight as is much of the damage feral hogs do to the environment.

We have created these problems with unwanted species invading and upsetting the natural order like a cancer on the planet. The only cure we have for this cancer is ugly, wasteful and painful to watch..

The question I pose to all of you is:
Do we stop this type of management or do we ignore the mess we created and let nature do it her way.

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/21/15 05:01 PM

I will add that fish management is more susceptible to brutal cycles of drought that can kill whole lakes in a bad year.. but the feral hogs out compete everything for resources (more like humans) and are much harder to manage or even hope to eradicate. I don't feel bad about killing hogs by the hundreds or thousands just for buzzard feed.. Governmental regulations on the use and/or sale of game/fish or feral hogs effectively removes the only incentive that might work in the management of the resource/waste..

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/21/15 06:04 PM

"update was told these fish went to a turtle farm"

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/21/15 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: hook-line&sinker
We have created these problems with unwanted species invading and upsetting the natural order like a cancer on the planet. The only cure we have for this cancer is ugly, wasteful and painful to watch..

I used bold for emphasis. Last time I checked, gar and buffalo are NATIVE to Texas, not invasive.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/22/15 01:14 AM

I kinda misunderstood the original post, if they dumped those fish into a public dumpster I would be wanting to do something about it, they should be required to dispose of those fish properly, weather it is bringing them to a land fill or onto someones property to get rid of.

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/22/15 01:57 AM

Makes little difference if an unwanted species is native or introduced when it comes to management. Nature uses natural cycles to ensure that only the strong survive but we humans manipulate and tinker around with everything to see what we might make "better" but most often that "better" is only in the short term.

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/22/15 02:04 AM

My use of the word "invading" wasn't necessarily intended as "invasive"

adjective: invasive

(especially of plants or a disease) tending to spread prolifically and undesirably or harmfully.
Posted By: Tugmaster

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/22/15 01:14 PM

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=408987335946923&id=100005069791028&_rdr

This is duckhunter's video (Capt Kirk Kirkland)

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/22/15 01:24 PM

Well, my bottom line is that these fish are being wasted. Doesn't matter if we're talking about gar & buffalo, or black bass & blue catfish. Killing fish and discarding them as waste is wrong AND it happens to be illegal.

The fish in the OP's picture should have been used as bait, donated to a food bank, pressure cooked into pet food, composted into fertilizer for someone's garden . . . or, heaven forbid, the guys who killed the fish could've taken the time to fillet them and figure out recipes to feed themselves, their families and friends.

If I knew such an event was going on, I'd be glad to come fetch about 50-100 pounds (or more) of FRESH fish to turn into cat food and compost. Just hate seeing them going to waste.

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/22/15 02:33 PM

Well, my bottom line is that these fish are being wasted. Doesn't matter if we're talking about gar & buffalo, or black bass & blue catfish. Killing fish and discarding them as waste is wrong AND it happens to be illegal.

The fish in the OP's picture should have been used as bait, donated to a food bank, pressure cooked into pet food, composted into fertilizer for someone's garden . . . or, heaven forbid, the guys who killed the fish could've taken the time to fillet them and figure out recipes to feed themselves, their families and friends.

If I knew such an event was going on, I'd be glad to come fetch about 50-100 pounds (or more) of FRESH fish to turn into cat food and compost. Just hate seeing them going to waste.

GW are well aware of it and no laws are being violated. I'm sure if they are, they received tickets. This tournament is very public, it's not some dog fight on some back road in the middle of no where. GW can easily see a bow fisherman, looks like a UFO on water. smile
Posted By: steven1968

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/22/15 05:07 PM

If the fish were donated to a Turtle farm, that seems like a fine use of the carcasses. Even if they are farming turtles for food, it is a good use of the resource. Seems like these Bow hunters provide a responsible avenue to enjoy their sport. Doesn't really appeal to me, I like my rod and reel, but they should enjoy what they enjoy if they can do it while being mindful of the resource.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/22/15 10:28 PM

I'd bet you could give them away for garden fertilizer if the "green thumb boys" got wind of it.
Posted By: OIF3

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/22/15 11:07 PM

1. Fish were said to be given to turtle farm.
2. Fish were not dumped back into water way to wash ashore or float around near a ramp.
3. Wikipedia (for what its worth)defines carp as being a Native of Europe and Asia.

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/24/15 01:02 AM

The dates of tourneys are posted on their website.

Go pick up the fish, they will be happy to give them to you
Posted By: ScottEvil

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/25/15 11:44 PM

kill for the thrill.......

FYI Florida Largemouth Bass are considered an invasive species and actually higher on the worldwide invasive species list than carp are.
Just because a particular type of fish isnt what you deem as a game fish doesnt devalue the fish.
Posted By: formula462

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/26/15 07:01 PM

Who won and what did the winner win?
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 04/27/15 03:23 PM

one mans trash is another mans gold.
Posted By: Twistedmidnite

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 05/04/15 05:32 PM

Some of you are ill informed. That is not a public dumpster. Whoever put that tournament on requested that dumpster as is done all over the country for tournaments. Usually they go to compost plants, turtle farms or raptor farms. If you guys would do a little research before jumping to conclusions you would find that most bowfisherman including the TBA and the BAA are conservation minded. I promise you that they go to great lengths to ensure that everything is in it's place and everyone is happy. Thanks, cody...long time bowfisher
Posted By: lite-liner

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 05/04/15 07:31 PM

ill-informed, perhaps.
but I can tell you that a dumpster full of rotting indigineous fish
is not exactly synonymous with "conservation-minded".....noidea

might need a little work on the PR end ??
But it's pretty hard to polish a turd, LoL smile

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 05/04/15 09:07 PM

I don't think the turtles mind them being "rotten".

I agree it is hard to polish a turd but then again I'm sure someone out there has a gripe about releasing fish with hook holes in their mouth.

Don't get me wrong, I love to harvest fish any way I can. Heak just this weekend I was catching catfish on the river then went and shot a couple needle nose gar to put in the freezer...Yes they are good eating also..

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 05/04/15 09:08 PM

Just because it's below your "standard's" doesn't mean it's wrong
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Bow fishing tournament Lake Texoma! "Waste!" - 05/04/15 10:16 PM

fishermen complain because of the rough fish an when someone comes along to eradicate them they complain with what they do with them go figure.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum