Texas Fishing Forum

Post-Spawn Patterns

Posted By: txhunt&fish10

Post-Spawn Patterns - 04/19/15 03:07 AM

What are some of your favorite post-spawn patterns in clear water? Fish here in town hit well for a couple weeks on crankbaits, but it has died down a bit (as in nothing). Just curious as to what yall go-to this time of year?
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Post-Spawn Patterns - 04/19/15 05:31 AM

There's some smaller, shallower lakes I go to that are definitely mostly post spawn right now.
In clear water, this is what I have confidence in:

Topwaters and frogs at daylight and sunset. Sometimes all day if conditions are right (often good if it's cloudy, but not too windy/choppy)

If there is a shad spawn or bluegill spawn going on in the shallows, definitely take advantage of that scenario. Sometimes those newborn baby bass fry are an attractive meal also. In clear water, I'll throw weightless white ice, natural shad, baby bass, watermelon red, and bluegill flash flukes; sometimes on a donkey rig.

Senkos and zipper worms in clear and "natural" colors. Shad and bluegill 5 inch swimbaits on weighted hooks.

If there are lily pads starting to grow, I'll throw a T-rigged crawfish into the pads. Use just enough weight, so that the craw can land on the pads, but fall off at the edges---this can be deadly.

Squarebills shallow (1-5ft)

Suspending jerkbaits (4-10ft)

Crankbaits deeper. (10ft+)
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum