Texas Fishing Forum

Lowrance & Humminbird units on same boat

Posted By: Okyakfishing

Lowrance & Humminbird units on same boat - 11/26/14 10:27 AM

Guys, what are your thoughts on having an Lowrance on the front and Humminbird on dash both units have side scan ability would this work? Would the two units running at the same time cause issues? I'm thinking of moving my lowrance to the front and purchasing a Bird as I think the side scan picture is better. Any feedback would be great.
Posted By: fivepinhunter

Re: Lowrance & Humminbird units on same boat - 11/26/14 04:35 PM

i have a lowrance mark 5x pro on front and bird at dash. dont have side scan but have no problems with it.
Posted By: JimmyP

Re: Lowrance & Humminbird units on same boat - 11/26/14 04:45 PM

First let me say this is my opinion only. Not an expert by any means. I don't see what it would harm but I don't think they can use the same transducer. I had a Humminbird 998 on my old boat and my new one has a Lowrance 12 touch. The side scan was better on the 'Bird by far but my 12 touch has a way better 2D sonar. I liked the Lakemaster better than the Navionics also. The down scan is about the same to me. Do what you want or you will never be happy with your setup. And for us old guys the bigger the screen the better. LOL
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Lowrance & Humminbird units on same boat - 11/26/14 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Okyakfishing
Guys, what are your thoughts on having an Lowrance on the front and Humminbird on dash both units have side scan ability would this work? Would the two units running at the same time cause issues? I'm thinking of moving my lowrance to the front and purchasing a Bird as I think the side scan picture is better. Any feedback would be great.

I have thought about doing this too but with a different twist. Bird on the trolling motor with it's all in 1 ducer and great shallow water SI performance, Lowrance on the console. I currently run Lowrance and the biggest drawback to 2 brands is the lack of easy waypoint sharing.

Re: Lowrance & Humminbird units on same boat - 11/27/14 02:18 AM

I'm in the group that likes "needs" the bigger screens. I know they cant use the same transducer but the concern is if you have both on the back will the signals cross up.

Hay, Grout if you do this let me know how it's working for you.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Lowrance & Humminbird units on same boat - 11/27/14 02:41 AM

My son just graduated from University of Texas Med School after graduating from Texas A&M. Humminbird & Lowrance together? Don't see the problem. "A House Divided"!
Posted By: chucktx

Re: Lowrance & Humminbird units on same boat - 11/27/14 03:11 AM

I run a bird at the console and lowrance up front with no problems,,,,,,different duscers tho...
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Lowrance & Humminbird units on same boat - 11/27/14 03:18 AM

ANY two units operating on the same frequencies at the same time will cross-talk if the sonar pulses overlap.

Humminbird and Lowrance use the same frequencies for 2D sonar and imaging.

Re: Lowrance & Humminbird units on same boat - 11/27/14 06:43 AM

will they do the same with side scan running on both units? Guess I need to find out the frequency each uses?
Posted By: Secret Bait

Re: Lowrance & Humminbird units on same boat - 11/27/14 10:41 AM

I run a HB998 with side scan and Lakemaster the on trolling motor, a HB 798 w/side scan and Lakemaster
in the dash and a Lowrance LCX-IIIc with Navionics platinum next to it on a ram Mount. Running 2d, side scan or lakemaster on the dash unit has never interfered with the Lowrance or visa versa. My GPS pucks for the console area are within 3 inches of each other. Never a problem.

Re: Lowrance & Humminbird units on same boat - 11/27/14 11:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Okyakfishing
will they do the same with side scan running on both units? Guess I need to find out the frequency each uses?

Both use 455 and 800 kHz for imaging
Both use 83 and 200 kHz for 2D sonar

Side Imaging and Side Scan will cross-talk hundreds of feet apart.

360 will cross-talk too and looks like this:

Re: Lowrance & Humminbird units on same boat - 11/27/14 11:45 AM

Originally Posted By: Secret Bait
I run a HB998 with side scan and Lakemaster the on trolling motor, a HB 798 w/side scan and Lakemaster
in the dash and a Lowrance LCX-IIIc with Navionics platinum next to it on a ram Mount. Running 2d, side scan or lakemaster on the dash unit has never interfered with the Lowrance or visa versa. My GPS pucks for the console area are within 3 inches of each other. Never a problem.

GPS has nothing to do with cross-talk

Re: Lowrance & Humminbird units on same boat - 11/28/14 02:35 AM

Wayne, thanks for the education. If you only have one unit turned on at a time I'm assuming this would eliminate the cross talk issue?
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Lowrance & Humminbird units on same boat - 11/28/14 04:24 AM

Wayne is indeed the man to ask for help but I can answer your current question. The simple solution would be to run 1 on 455 and the other on 800. Or simply put 1 in standby while not at that location.
Posted By: xanadu

Re: Lowrance & Humminbird units on same boat - 11/29/14 01:31 AM

Absolutely no problems with using both. Two humminbirds or two lowrances will interfere with each other just as much as one of each. My only complaint would be having to learn two different skill sets when using different units in stressful situations. I just like having the same menus and adjustments throughout.
Posted By: jwatts77

Re: Lowrance & Humminbird units on same boat - 11/30/14 01:01 AM

I have a lowrance on the front another in the dash and a bird on a mount at the console. It makes it nice to run GPS on a full size display and sonar on a full size display at the same time. The bird has side-scan as well. It's super convenient!!!
Posted By: Catch&Release-Me-Again

Re: Lowrance & Humminbird units on same boat - 12/04/14 11:28 PM

Which one has the better picture?
Posted By: Corey C. Metroplex Insurance

Re: Lowrance & Humminbird units on same boat - 07/21/15 08:29 PM

I have 958 on bow and 998 at helm, I just purchased an HDS12 for helm also, I will only use my 998 for GPS, I hope it will all work like I thought.
Posted By: catchesbass

Re: Lowrance & Humminbird units on same boat - 07/28/15 05:57 PM

I've had both. I just sold a couple of HB 1198's and went with Garmin. I should have made the switch a long time ago.
Posted By: Russell Marine Products

Re: Lowrance & Humminbird units on same boat - 07/28/15 08:27 PM

I run both

Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Lowrance & Humminbird units on same boat - 07/28/15 08:36 PM

I run two HB's and a Garmin,..no problem.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Lowrance & Humminbird units on same boat - 07/28/15 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Justin Russell
I run both

Can you even see where you are going....except on GPS screen? :-)(jealous). The biggest problem I see is sharing waypoints with the units separated front and back as the original post states.
Posted By: Russell Marine Products

Re: Lowrance & Humminbird units on same boat - 07/28/15 09:32 PM

I don't share waypoints between the units. I have a 12 lowrance upfront, I use the bird for lakemaster mapping. If I see something I like on the map I run over it and use structure scan on the lowrance. If I like something there I waypoint it on the lowrance, then I can see it on the one upfront.
Posted By: Santonio Banderas

Re: Lowrance & Humminbird units on same boat - 07/29/15 01:14 AM

I have a big lowrance in the dash that I use for GPs/charting and installed the Garmin Echomaps on the console and at the bow......
Posted By: Santonio Banderas

Re: Lowrance & Humminbird units on same boat - 07/29/15 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: catchesbass
I've had both. I just sold a couple of HB 1198's and went with Garmin. I should have made the switch a long time ago.

Plus 1..... I called a friend of mine to ask him his thoughts on his Lowrance Hds, he said I should look at the Garmin units and I am glad I did.... Bought two a couple days later.
Posted By: txmark1959

Re: Lowrance & Humminbird units on same boat - 07/29/15 02:36 PM

this was really helpful....thanks guys!
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Lowrance & Humminbird units on same boat - 07/29/15 10:57 PM

I have a Lowrance at the nose because they have better 2D IMO, and a HB SI at the wheel because it has better side imaging. I have no issues. It works great.... BUT...the lack of waypoint sharing sucks sometimes. I am planning on switching to a Bird 2d unit at the wheel because easy waypoint sharing is more important to me than slightly better 2D.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum