Texas Fishing Forum

Crawfish in Texas Lakes?

Posted By: NTXFishing2002

Crawfish in Texas Lakes? - 12/27/13 09:58 AM

Anyone know if there are any crawfish in the northern lakes? Specificly in Lake Ray Roberts?
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Crawfish in Texas Lakes? - 12/27/13 11:03 AM

Yes and bass will hit a plastic craw hard.
Posted By: Samuel Ragle

Re: Crawfish in Texas Lakes? - 12/27/13 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Rudy Lackey
Yes and bass will hit a plastic craw hard.

+1 on the hitting the crawfish hard part
Posted By: SteveHummert

Re: Crawfish in Texas Lakes? - 12/27/13 09:17 PM

yes, crawfish in just about every lake in Texas I would think
Posted By: Reel-Deel

Re: Crawfish in Texas Lakes? - 12/29/13 03:31 PM

I'm fairly positive there are crawfish in every lake in the state... I would actually venture to say that the northern lakes and eastern lakes have a larger population than the remainder of the reservoirs. On the other hand, they get as big as dang lobsters down in S. Texas!
Posted By: texcajun

Re: Crawfish in Texas Lakes? - 12/29/13 08:37 PM

You find rocks or broken concrete, and you'll find crawfish!
Posted By: Hawkfish

Re: Crawfish in Texas Lakes? - 12/29/13 09:10 PM

Yep! Seen them at Ray Bob in spring in the rocks. Welcome to the TFF!
welcome
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Crawfish in Texas Lakes? - 12/29/13 10:05 PM

If you stress out a bass he will poop a crawdad shell.
Posted By: SteveHummert

Re: Crawfish in Texas Lakes? - 12/29/13 10:18 PM

I have seen them in the hydrilla at Bob Sandlin......figure they are everywhere,we just don't see them that often

Re: Crawfish in Texas Lakes? - 12/29/13 10:45 PM

Thanks for the information, I will have to toss out a few of my crawfish traps this spring, use a few for bass rest for crawfish boil mmmmmm
Posted By: TheGizzard

Re: Crawfish in Texas Lakes? - 12/29/13 11:22 PM

I live in san antonio the two lakes calli and braunig are always fished in the warm months with crawfish for reds.I never see crawdads in the water,you would think the lakes would be filled with them by now.

Re: Crawfish in Texas Lakes? - 12/29/13 11:23 PM

Don't be surprised when you catch the bass of a lifetime, only to find out it's a big ole Gaspergoo. They love crawfish!
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Crawfish in Texas Lakes? - 12/30/13 03:23 AM

As long as there is water all year every stream,river, pond, and lake should have them. I guess they could be killed off in polluted water but not sure.
Posted By: Aggiebasser05

Re: Crawfish in Texas Lakes? - 12/30/13 06:17 PM

http://texascrawdads.com/home
Posted By: Fishhound.com

Re: Crawfish in Texas Lakes? - 12/30/13 11:45 PM

This guy sure liked a crawfish!

Re: Crawfish in Texas Lakes? - 12/31/13 05:23 AM

Originally Posted By: texcajun
Don't be surprised when you catch the bass of a lifetime, only to find out it's a big ole Gaspergoo. They love crawfish!

I had to google what a Gaspergoo is, are they good eating? Are they like a Crappie? How do you hook a live crawfish? is it like a minnow you put the hook threw the side so it can still swim around? Do you just cast and reel it back in slowly or do you cast it out and let it crawl around on the bottom of the shallows?
Posted By: Samuel Ragle

Re: Crawfish in Texas Lakes? - 12/31/13 04:31 PM

You put the hook through their tail let them go to the bottom and slow reel them back in
Posted By: scott01

Re: Crawfish in Texas Lakes? - 12/31/13 05:28 PM

Make sure you don't just leave the live crawfish on the bottom without a slow retrieve. The will crawl under whatever they can find to avoid being eaten, lol.
Posted By: 1willis

Re: Crawfish in Texas Lakes? - 12/31/13 06:29 PM

i have a very off topic question regarding fishing the trinity river on beltline road. anyone know anything about that spot? there is a spot off of 45 east of Hutchins. Beltline (1382) crosses over the trinity. it has produced some good fish in its day. Im lookin to shoot some pigs out there, as it is INFESTED with them. Can anyone help me out on the subject of who owns this piece of land?
Posted By: 1willis

Re: Crawfish in Texas Lakes? - 12/31/13 06:29 PM

i have a very off topic question regarding fishing the trinity river on beltline road. anyone know anything about that spot? there is a spot off of 45 east of Hutchins. Beltline (1382) crosses over the trinity. it has produced some good fish in its day. Im lookin to shoot some pigs out there, as it is INFESTED with them. Can anyone help me out on the subject of who owns this piece of land?
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Crawfish in Texas Lakes? - 12/31/13 08:11 PM

I am on a bass lease in Whitesboro, Texas - just north of Ray Roberts. It's about an 80 acre private lake. The place was impounded about 50 years ago. We cull a lot of small fish out of it. The number one thing in their stomachs are crawfish, number two is perch. I got a friend who fishes it who cuts the first small fish up and investigates what they are eatin, then he matches it the rest of the day. Kind of like trout fisherman - they cary those rubber swabs that they stick in their throat and suck out the hatch that the trout are feeding on and then match the hatch as they say. The crawdads change in color throuhout the year depending on water temp and water clarity. You can go thru the lake pitching one color and not catch a thing. Make a suttle color change and then come back thru the same area and Bam! There are tons of crawfish in every lake. Go to Acadamey and buy you a crawfish trap. Take it to any lake, bait it out, come back a few days later and you'll see.

Re: Crawfish in Texas Lakes? - 12/31/13 10:10 PM

As fish go, they aren't the worst fish you'll ever eat, especially if cleaned properly. I have eaten them many times and enjoyed them. Like a lot of fish, trim away all the dark/red meat and what's left is pretty good. I'd still rather eat crappie, white bass or catfish though.

Originally Posted By: NTXFishing2002

I had to google what a Gaspergoo is, are they good eating? Are they like a Crappie? How do you hook a live crawfish? is it like a minnow you put the hook threw the side so it can still swim around? Do you just cast and reel it back in slowly or do you cast it out and let it crawl around on the bottom of the shallows?
Posted By: JACKTHE

Re: Crawfish in Texas Lakes? - 01/01/14 02:17 PM

Hey NTXfishing, another good way to hook them is the plastic horn or widows peak between their eyes. its a little protrusion of shell that stickss out between their eyes. just stick a sharp wire hook underneath it and wiggle it through. This doesn't hurt them and you can fly line them all day if necessary. Like the guy said, throw them out and inch them along. Big bass love big dads. So does everyone else.
Posted By: xxprotegexx

Re: Crawfish in Texas Lakes? - 01/03/14 04:25 AM

if I bought 5 pounds of live crawfish and release them around a moderate size pond, do you think they can establish themselves? Ive never seen any in my neighborhood pond(no rocks, no concrete, just vegetation along the banks) havent seen any mud huts either... so my guess is theres none here frown
Posted By: ColoradoTransplant

Re: Crawfish in Texas Lakes? - 01/03/14 04:45 AM

Originally Posted By: NTXFishing2002

A gaspergoo is closer to a carp or buffalo than it is a crappie or bass...lol

Those suckers STINK when you get their nasty ol' slime on your hands trying to get the hooks out of their nasty soft flesh sucker-like mouths

I wouldn't recommend eating em... there are plenty of other good fish to eat
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Crawfish in Texas Lakes? - 01/03/14 02:40 PM

A Gaspergoo (Cajun for "Big Ugly")is NOT similar to a Carp or Buffalo. They are more closer relatives to it's Brackish/Salt water cousin the Redfish. It is a type of Drum Fish. The smaller ones are great table fare.
Posted By: scott01

Re: Crawfish in Texas Lakes? - 01/03/14 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: xxprotegexx
if I bought 5 pounds of live crawfish and release them around a moderate size pond, do you think they can establish themselves? Ive never seen any in my neighborhood pond(no rocks, no concrete, just vegetation along the banks) havent seen any mud huts either... so my guess is theres none here frown

Crawfish love and thrive in vegetation. A crawfish (bait) trap is the best way to find out for sure but I would be really surprised if none were found. Growing up as a kid, every dirt creek or mudhole we came across always had crawfish. So long as the mudhole retained a little water of stayed damp, there were crawfish there.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum