Texas Fishing Forum

Tips on how to free a snagged lure

Posted By: bobrfishes

Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 06/23/13 03:17 PM

1. DO NOT TRY TO PULL IT LOOSE FIRST. A light tug is OK, anything else makes it worse.
2. Jiggle it on a slack line. Often you'll get lucky.
3. Remember #1. Move boat to opposite side of where it is snagged. then do # 2 again.
4. Remember #1. Use a Lure Retriever. For less than 12' a pole type will pay for itself quickly.
For deeper water some form of lure knocker that slides down the line and can be pulled up and
dropped repeatedly will often work.
5.When all else fails - PULL IT LOOSE. Occasionally you'll get lucky.

Remember - The time you spend trying to retrieve a lure is time you are not fishing.
Posted By: jwatts77

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 06/23/13 05:20 PM

Agree on all this.

The one mistake I have noticed most hung up anglers make is keeping the line tight and trying to shake it loose on the tight line. The hang will come off most of the time if you don't pull the line tight to get it loose. Let the lure fall back and try to "lightly" bring it back over/through the object hanging it up.
Posted By: Kat-man-do

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 06/24/13 01:37 AM

Originally Posted By: bobrfishes

1. DO NOT TRY TO PULL IT LOOSE FIRST. A light tug is OK, anything else makes it worse.
3. Remember #1. Move boat to opposite side of where it is snagged. then do # 2 again.
4. Remember #1. Use a Lure Retriever. For less than 12' a pole type will pay for itself quickly.
For deeper water some form of lure knocker that slides down the line and can be pulled up and

Remember - The time you spend trying to retrieve a lure is time you are not fishing.

I tried that and almost got a ticket for indecent exposure and public defecation.
Posted By: TheGizzard

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 06/25/13 12:08 AM

When it's windy,I find it hard to use the drop weight fish with coil rings I bought at bass pro.The boat is moving around too much.On calaveras lake I get hung up and lose them when down rigging.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 06/25/13 12:36 AM

Before step #4 (lure retriever), I try the bow and arrow, shoot line toward the snag technique.

I like this guy's homemade lure retriever (spark plug + snapswivel)
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 06/25/13 02:18 PM

About 30% of the time when using a c-rig. I grab the line by hand and get down as low as possible to the water line and pull by hand. Don't ask me why but it sometimes works.

I also try the bow type method of snapping the line.

If that fails I move to the opposite side of the bait then pull it loose.

One more method when shallow, especially when fishing a jig, crankbait, worm or spinner bait, I will get close to the bait. Grab the line and drop the rod and reel in the water and let it fall down into the water and 90% of the time the rod tip hits the bait and frees it. I don't like to drop it down so far that the reel goes underwater, but I have done it a few times. It's kind of scary just dropping your rod and reel over into the lake, but it's amazing how evective this really works.
Don't try it on c-rigs cause your rod tip has to hit the bait.
Posted By: Sunup

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 06/26/13 11:26 PM

thumb
Posted By: TheGizzard

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 06/26/13 11:59 PM

Great video I will try it out.I always loose lures down rigging.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 06/27/13 10:25 PM

Another thing in shallow water is to get over the bait and reel down to it. Then push it down off the snag. Don't push so hard you break the rod. Sometimes you have to jiggle it a little but unless you really set the hook it will work.
Posted By: CatBoss

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 06/28/13 01:50 AM

cant beat them spark plugs
They even work from the bank if you know how to "pop that line" just right
Posted By: rexmitchell

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 06/28/13 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: the skipper
Another thing in shallow water is to get over the bait and reel down to it. Then push it down off the snag. Don't push so hard you break the rod. Sometimes you have to jiggle it a little but unless you really set the hook it will work.

This works without fail if you are shallow enough. Reel to the bait then give it a little shake.
Posted By: TheBombBait88

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 06/28/13 05:58 PM

We use a big weight instead of a spark plug. Normally works every time.
Posted By: Chuck7700

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 06/29/13 01:43 PM

I use a 4 ounce no roll weight with a swivel.
Posted By: Skeeterg180

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 07/01/13 11:18 PM

Any out there hung up a 10xd or 6xd? If so whats your trick to freeing those?
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 07/02/13 12:32 AM

Rex, what are you holding in the far right photo?

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

This works without fail if you are shallow enough. Reel to the bait then give it a little shake.
Posted By: Riptide103

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 07/02/13 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Skeeterg180

Both of these lures have excellent hooks which gives them a special attraction for submerged wood of all types. We use a Hound Dog lure knocker/retriever with 2 4-6" lengths of 1/4" chain securely attached. An old broken rod and reel make excellent storage for the Hound Dog's and its line [85-150lb]. After the lure is hung-up, attach the Dog to the lure's line and let it slip down until the Dog makes contact with the lure. Take the hung-up rod in one hand and the Dog's rod in the other. Raise & lower the Dog up about 2' with the hung-up lure's line slightly tight so the Dog goes straight down and makes contact with the lure. One or two cycles of the "up and down" process is usually adequate to free the hung-up lure. We have had an excellent success rate with this technique. However, if all else fails, try to catch the lure's hooks with the Dog's chains. When the Dog is caught on the lure's hooks, use a piece [10-12"] of sch 40 PVC pipe to twist in the Dog's line and pull. Usually straightens a few lure hooks but the lure is saved. The PVC is essential since it keeps you from cutting your hands on the heavy Dog line. Braid and other line types can really cut your fingers/hands especially if they are wet. Use caution since a lost lure is better than cut hands/fingers. Hope this helps.
Posted By: tlh3842

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 07/02/13 07:02 PM

Good post!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 07/02/13 08:58 PM

I use braded line on most of my rods now. Pull hooks bend replace and repeat.

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 11/26/13 04:01 AM

bump
Posted By: tapwater

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 11/26/13 05:01 AM

Great post and responses. I pull the line tight and release it as my last ditch effort, the spark plug method will be tried, I have thought about using a carabiner with key rings on it, but I see I need more weight. I am going to clip a spark plug or two on it, along with a rag. It seems hooks love cloth, drop a treble on your carpet and you can shift your foundation
Posted By: ColoradoTransplant

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 11/26/13 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by Skeeterg180

I don't do the big boy 10xd bait, but for the 6xd the bow and arrow / guitar pluck method works great...

(actually that method works great for all baits, but the xd crankbaits will swim a lil backwards when you do it and come unsnagged)

This video shows the technique (it is a pretty poor quality video, but regardless, you can get the idea of how to do it)
Posted By: James Roberts

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 11/26/13 05:55 AM

Also if you happen to break off, keep your eyes open often times breaking the line is just what it takes to free up a bait.
JR
Posted By: Kevin R.

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 11/26/13 11:39 AM

The bass pro tool has worked pretty good for me.
Posted By: OldChamp

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 11/26/13 02:43 PM

Rick Clunn has a Facebook video tip on freeing crankbaits. Probably work on other type baits as well;

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=765...e=2&theater
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 11/26/13 02:46 PM

Offer your fishing buddy a Natty light if he'll dive down & get your lure!
Posted By: BKT

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 11/26/13 06:10 PM

Used to if I got snagged up in the trees I'd get my 12ga and shoot the limb off...
Posted By: 374 Trigger

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 11/26/13 07:06 PM

On tex rig and jigs learn to snap our line just above the reel,it will take practice but once you get it figured out you will rarely lose a bait. on crank baits that will float,if you do break off a lot off times when the line breaks it will pop them loose so keep an eye out to see if they come up,when its windy they can be hard to see
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 11/26/13 09:06 PM

Be AWARE of your line on windy days. Cast plug to one side of stump, line blows to other side of it in flight, you get hung up on retrieve. If you go to side of stump that plug landed on to retreive lure, you have just wrapped line half way around stump and will have hard time getting knocker down to plug.

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 02/13/14 03:42 PM

bump
Posted By: MBoehm1729

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 02/13/14 04:55 PM

I really like the spark plug idea. I will throw one in the box for the next trip.
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 02/13/14 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Kat-man-do
Originally Posted By: bobrfishes

I tried that and almost got a ticket for indecent exposure and public defecation.
rolfmao
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 02/14/14 02:05 AM

good thread
I will try the spark plug
in a kayak, you can recover almost all of them
otherwise, I am tempted to break them off & keep fishing

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 10/07/14 08:27 AM

BUMP
Posted By: Nocona Brian

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 10/07/14 02:21 PM

I was watching a tournament one time and a guy got hung up about 15' or so away from his boat. He took a good amount of line off the reel and holding the line tight to the lure in one hand, slid the rod down to it and knocked it loose then pulled it back. Pretty neat way of getting un-hung.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 10/07/14 10:27 PM

Also remember that if you make too much racket trying to free a lure, you'll spook every fish within a 100 yards.

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 01/11/15 05:26 PM

bump
Posted By: geebass

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 01/12/15 02:51 AM

Wow lots of great info on this one. Way to come together everyone..

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 05/16/15 08:49 PM

Bump
Posted By: Ranger-188-2007

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 05/16/15 10:06 PM

Motto: Don't fish where you can get hung up! LOL - If you fish cranks in timber, feel the bait through the limbs. You can feel the line on the limbs then slow down the bait so it will float up. Then reel back down and only set the hook when something pulls back on it not when it bangs into the structure! The bow and arrow method works best for me.
Posted By: OUFishing-Sean

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 05/22/15 01:39 AM

Going to the opposite side of the snag usually works for me
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 05/30/15 01:59 AM

Don't push so hard you break the rod.

This.

If the lure is shallow enough to free by reeling down to it and then pushing with your rod, be very careful. Graphite and boron rods are VERY easy to break this way. Lures are lots less expensive.
Posted By: UJC

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 05/30/15 09:59 PM

Here's a timely article from Outdoor Life Magazine June/July 2015. Most if not all of these tactics have been discussed. Pic quality poor; enlarge for an easier read (CTRL +).
Posted By: Freeman Clark

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 05/31/15 12:48 AM

This very simple ,just cut line.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 05/31/15 02:20 AM

Be very careful if you start yanking on the hung lure with the rod/reel as it could cost you a lot more than a lost lure. With the frequent use of high pound test lines today, it IS possible to bend a spool shaft without realizing you're doing it. Replacing a damaged baitcaster spool is typically an expensive proposition.

The section of schedule 40 PVC pipe suggested in another post is an excellent way to avoid a damaged reel. If you have to thumb the spool to pull, you're exceeding the reel's designed resistance level and shaft damage can be expected.
Posted By: Garvin

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 06/05/15 05:34 PM

Thanks for the tips. I could get hung up pulling a greased bare line across ball bearings.

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 08/04/15 04:18 PM

Re-cycle

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 09/19/16 11:08 PM

Bump

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 09/21/16 10:01 PM

If the lure cost me more than a dollar, I'll buck off and go in after it.

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 12/07/16 04:37 PM

Bump

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 12/07/16 04:37 PM

Bump
Posted By: Grainraiser

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 12/11/16 09:15 PM

I have a extenable boat hook I got from Academy. I simply drill a hole in the plastic hook and attached a large swivel. When hung just attached the swivel to the line and follow it to the lure. The boat hook extends to 8ft and I can reach another four ft.
Posted By: kickingback

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 12/12/16 10:23 AM

Here's a tip...Don't get hung up!
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 12/12/16 12:46 PM

I sink chain link fence and old cast nets in key fishing areas. Pull them up once a month and walla ... Free lures!
Posted By: mrdvant

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 12/15/16 12:39 AM

After breaking my nose with a 1/2 swimbait jig head last month, I'm breaking off from now on rather than trying to pull free if it doesn't come off with the first couple steps.
Posted By: Sopwell Fishing

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 12/15/16 10:39 AM

A light tug is OK, anything else makes it worse.
Posted By: fray

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 12/15/16 02:13 PM

Thanks

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 02/24/17 03:26 PM

rebump
Posted By: Townsend

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 02/24/17 07:22 PM

I've always done well with pumping the rod. Reel in the line, tight, then bump the rod with the hand nearest the butt, (what she said moment) this allows for the lure to drop and break free, reel when you feel a little give. Might need to do it a few times depending on the brush.

If it's snagged on a bottom branch or, thick weeds I pull out my Tasun Lure Retriever to break it loose. It doesn't harm the lure, just slides down the snagged line and breaks free the snag no problem or harm to my lures. I Get all my lures back that way. smile Jigs too.

Tight Lines and Full Live Wells...

Love the Forum.
Posted By: rngrfshrmn

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 02/27/17 10:12 PM

Absolutely without a doubt get you a HOUND DOG lure Retriever best I have ever used and tie it on a 50 ft length of para cord or old bait caster and short rod. go to the opposite side to how you was moving the bait drop it down on a tight line and let it directly hit the bait off what ever has it stuck. Might have to shake it a few times but works 99% of the time for me. jigs, cb's crappie jigs, road runners, everything. I always say "send down the dog " My fishing friends always have one next time we fish. I do not sell or have anything to do with the product.
Posted By: dreamweaver96

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 02/28/17 01:19 AM

not always the best method, but when bank fishing the other day, I somehow managed to get my lucky craft crankbait stuck in a bush... shoes came off phone came out of my pocket and I went swimming... works

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 08/28/17 12:35 PM

bump

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 01/01/18 12:07 AM

BUMP
Posted By: richg

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 01/30/18 09:11 PM

I seem to put my lures OVER low (and high) branches above the water too often. Due to the many times that I've done that, I learned to do the following....

Assuming that the lure is still moving up and down...
#1 run the boat over to the loose lure; cut off the lure, and reel the loose line back
#2 if #1 isn't possible.(Most of the time, it seems) ..reel the lure up SLOWLY, until it just touches the branch and then give it a quick, sharp pull towards you. DUCK...because, often, the lure will pop free and head right back at you.

Works a lot more often than most people think it should.

On a fishless day, I'd suggest you purposely throw a few lures over low hanging branches and try out #2 a few times. If you pick your spot correctly, you can always run the boat over and retrieve the lure if #2 doesn't work for you. Takes some practice, but I've had guides gasp in disbelief when I do it.
Posted By: Chris97

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 02/03/18 06:18 AM

Great tips
Posted By: Larry Mosby

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 02/05/18 03:25 PM

I do a lot of deep cranking, jig fishing and also Texas rigging. Many times a slack line has let the crank bait float up on its own. I prefer my telescopic retriever pole that will get them loose down to 18' beyond that I use a hound dog lure retriever.
Posted By: Larry Mosby

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 02/05/18 05:59 PM

I have my hound dog retriever line on marker bouy with a hundred feet of 150 lb braid on it.
Posted By: JWfish

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 02/05/18 09:26 PM

Make my own and they work great. You need 1 big 2 or 3 oz. lead weight, 1 zip tie thin enough to go thru weight eye and either one of those large vinyl covered paper clips Or a swivel will do to. Run the zip tie in the eye of the weight and bottom loop of paper clip, snug as tight as you can and cut excess zip tie as close as possible. All you have to do if you get hung up is work your line thru the loop loop of paper clip and let it and the weight slide down your live to it bumps your lure off. Never takes me bore than a few shakes. So cheap to make, you can have one ready in multiple tackle boxes.

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 03/21/18 02:19 PM

BUMP

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 05/29/18 01:43 PM

bump
Posted By: Ojai Angler

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 05/29/18 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By: CatBoss
cant beat them spark plugs
They even work from the bank if you know how to "pop that line" just right

Well I do carry the proper tools to remove one of the spark plugs from the boat motor, but what if that get lost also?
Posted By: spazm09

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 05/29/18 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

+1

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 08/29/18 01:37 PM

BUMP
Posted By: JWfish

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 08/31/18 06:23 PM

Nine out of 10 times, the idea shared earlier with the heavy bell weight zip tied to a swivel works for me. Just for fun I have even powder coated the weight and swivel to protect the line from nicks. For the fraction of the cost of buying a lure knocker, you can easily make half a dozen of these to keep stocked in your pocket, boat, tackle bag etc.

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 10/15/18 07:40 PM

Bump

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 03/10/19 02:16 PM

BUMP

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 01/04/20 01:07 AM

BUMP

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 03/06/20 08:36 PM

bump
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 03/08/20 01:47 PM

It turns into a cluster when you are by yourself, $12 whopper popper is on a stump in plain sight, trolling motor head is chewing up a log, keel is bouncing off rocks, lower unit you forgot to raise is bouncing off rocks, wind is swinging you around, tree limbs are trying to sweep you off the deck, the boat gets trashed from all the sheet falling off said tree limbs, the rod gets under you while laying flat on the deck reaching for popper, and best of all you get a treble in your finger trying to unsnag from the stump.

I fish with a buddy finds lures at garage sales for .25 cents. He hangs up more than anyone I've ever seen. After the second "hey bud can you troll over there to get my lure?" I'm telling him "break that bait off and lets keep fishing and I'll give you a quarter"
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 03/09/20 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by David Welcher
About 30% of the time when using a c-rig. I grab the line by hand and get down as low as possible to the water line and pull by hand. Don't ask me why but it sometimes works.

One more method when shallow, especially when fishing a jig, crankbait, worm or spinner bait, I will get close to the bait. Grab the line and drop the rod and reel in the water and let it fall down into the water and 90% of the time the rod tip hits the bait and frees it. I don't like to drop it down so far that the reel goes underwater, but I have done it a few times. It's kind of scary just dropping your rod and reel over into the lake, but it's amazing how evective this really works.

And then you can carry your rod back to academy when the tip breaks.
Posted By: RZ520

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 03/15/20 12:49 AM

Use a Plug knocker from BPS. Best $ spent
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 03/18/20 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by David Welcher

+1 The "bow" trick works a lot of the time.
I tried sending the rod down the line to free up the lure once and it knocked the insert out of my rod tip. Never did that again. There are better ways of getting a lure back than that technique..
I don't suggest that method at all.
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 03/20/20 11:40 PM

I’ve had great success with the Water Dog lure retriever. Save a ton of money using the Academy $4.99 water dog.

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 09/02/20 10:31 PM

Bump

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 01/29/21 10:14 PM

Bump
Posted By: bassnman

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 01/30/21 03:12 PM

Anybody know why bobrfishes keeps bumping this 8 year old post?
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 01/30/21 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by bassnman
Anybody know why bobrfishes keeps bumping this 8 year old post?

He still hasn't gotten his lure unstuck. Help him out...
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 02/02/21 04:45 PM

When popping your bait loose by careful , a big toad might hammer it just as it pops free .
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 02/03/21 02:12 AM

Between bouncing the boat off rocks, impaling myself with tree limbs, dang near falling overboard, spending too much time and effort, and killing the area I'm trying to fish, i'm about over trying to get em back. If I can make an easy run after one without a good chance of the above drama taking place I'll give it a go, otherwise fishing by myself and controlling the boat is just too much azz whipping . Break it off and grab the next rig up and keep fishing.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 02/03/21 03:23 PM

Tie it to a cleat and put the big motor in gear.
Posted By: Mo

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 02/03/21 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by the skipper

sucks to break a $100 rod trying to free a $5.00 lure.

MO
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 02/04/21 12:58 AM

After all of the above fails and use my lure knocker which is tied to an anchor rein and has 28' of line. If windy I always situate the boat down wind from the stick up and if in less that 10' I put my 12' talons down. I rarely loose a crankbait with this method.

I recently threw the plug knocker into a tree and actually caught a hook in the chain and was able to pull it down. Not on the first try however.
Posted By: Mo

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 02/09/21 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Huckleberry
I sink chain link fence and old cast nets in key fishing areas. Pull them up once a month and walla ... Free lures!

You would not believe the collection of lures I have found on my dock in the last 20 years

Rattle traps must be a favorite lure of night fishermen.

MO

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 07/16/21 07:12 PM

bump

Re: Tips on how to free a snagged lure - 07/16/21 09:52 PM

hump
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum