How safe is Falcon Lake? Going in May.

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Falcon Lake Safety - 04/18/12 09:28 PM

Posted By: BassSAT

Re: Falcon Lake Safety - 04/18/12 09:32 PM

Your right Jimbo, it's bad over there!

Posted By: fouzman

Re: Falcon Lake Safety - 04/18/12 09:48 PM

jmitchell, welcome to the forum. This question always stirs up trouble with dissenting opinions.

There is a terrible drug war going on all over Mexico, some areas hotter than others. The area west of Falcon in Tamaulipas State was one of the worst. We're talking on land, not the water. But the Mexican Marines and other Federal forces have cleaned that area up, and patrol it constantly.

Go fishing! Buy your Mexican license from Falcon Lake Tackle and fish that side with confidence if you choose. If not, stay on the 35 or so thousand acres on the Texas side. There have not been any reports of trouble on the Mexican side of Falcon in a looooong time.

Posted By: Manchu

Re: Falcon Lake Safety - 04/18/12 10:02 PM

and for a small fee, my partner and i will follow you around to make sure you have a pleasant and safe fishing experience.

Re: Falcon Lake Safety - 04/18/12 10:05 PM

Don Scagnetti?

Posted By: dobbin

Re: Falcon Lake Safety - 04/19/12 02:12 AM

how safe is down town Dallas

Re: Falcon Lake Safety - 04/19/12 11:10 AM

tired

Posted By: AgSellers04

Re: Falcon Lake Safety - 04/19/12 12:34 PM

The U.S. side is safe. We never went more than 30 minutes without seeing a LE boat of some kind and they all have a locker full of M4s on the decks. Border Partrol, Game Wardens, Coast Guard, DPS.

As for the Mexican side, I don't know personally because we stayed on the Texas side but it's my understandin that they haven't had much problem there in a while but I'd just be careful and use your best judgement if going to the Mexican side.

Good luck on your trip, there is no other lake like it.

Re: Falcon Lake Safety - 04/19/12 01:11 PM

Jimbo, what does Nuevo Laredo have to do with Falcon Lake? Nothing. Are American fishermen being harassed on the Mexican side of Falcon Lake? Are fishermen being found mutilated in minivans?

The declaration of war between "Lazca" and "Chapo" has nothing to do with Americans or fishermen on Falcon Lake. If you have been down to Falcon, then you obviously have seen some of the 8,000 troops in Tamaulipas, especially those flying up and down the Mexican side of Falcon in helicopter gunships.

Re: Falcon Lake Safety - 04/19/12 01:49 PM

popcorn

Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Falcon Lake Safety - 04/19/12 02:09 PM

The main challenges to fishing Falcon are:

The weather. Watch out for high winds.

Nets in Mexico. Many are unmarked. If you get tangled in one, take your time and untangle it. Don't pull out your knife and start cutting. If it's really bad, there's a good chance the Mexican fisherman may come along and help you get it untangled. If they do, offer them a small tip. They're generally pretty friendly people.

Extremely dangerous fish. Get ready to lose some baits and have some tackle torn up. Those fish are also biters. Watch your fingers and thumbs.

Posted By: westtexgolfer

Re: Falcon Lake Safety - 04/19/12 03:57 PM

LOL at the people that think falcon lake is in danger because of Mexico... that cracks me up!!!

Falcon Lake is just as safe as Amistad...

Posted By: bassdreamer

Re: Falcon Lake Safety - 04/19/12 05:10 PM

I went with a guide in late February and frankly I felt much safer ON Falcon than I did in Zapata or the highway between Larado and Zapata! There were border patrol, and coast guard everywhere on the lake. Use your head, and don't put yourself in a bad situation. Most folks get in trouble when they start thinking the whole world is disneyland.

Posted By: Cypress Legend

Re: Falcon Lake Safety - 04/19/12 07:22 PM

we went down there for a week last summer and only fished in mexico in salado. I felt 100% safe the entire time. Got caught up in the gill nets and talked to some gill netters using broken spanish and them broken english. If they are out then it is safe. The netters do not go to the dangerous places. Just go and have fun. Get your mexican fishing license from falcon lake tackle.

Posted By: hoodoobaits

Re: Falcon Lake Safety - 04/22/12 07:30 PM

It is an awesome fishery. Just keep an eye on your sorroundings and you will have an excellent time. If you feel unsure, the Texas side has alot of great fishing. I have spent many trips and never left American water and had a blast.

Posted By: Dude Lebowski

Re: Falcon Lake Safety - 04/22/12 10:15 PM

fish with a cowboy hat and a pancho on with two .44 revolvers holstered. bolt bolt

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum