Texas Fishing Forum

I've decided...Canyon....help is appreciated!

Posted By: captdavid

I've decided...Canyon....help is appreciated! - 10/19/11 10:53 PM

I have decided, all things considered, that I'll probably be moving to Canyon when I retire in a year or so. I have had some very encouraging PMs. If anyone lives on or near the lake, I would appreciate any info that you might care to share.
thanks again and in the future, capt david

Posted By: WahooBob

Re: I've decided...Canyon....help is appreciated! - 10/20/11 02:43 AM

Im from new braunfels and as far as fishing going canyon is one of the slowest lakes around thins area. Dunlap is way better fishing than canyon if you like this area

Re: I've decided...Canyon....help is appreciated! - 10/20/11 09:44 AM

What fish are on Dunlap, in numbers? I checked the P/W website and they don't mention whites/hybrids/stripers, or trout. capt davod

Posted By: G3 Angler

Re: I've decided...Canyon....help is appreciated! - 10/20/11 12:54 PM

I would consider Richland Chambers. Much better fishing and you get two for one Cedar Creek is near. Both really great lakes.

When the bite gets tough, fish harder.

Posted By: cypher_orange

Re: I've decided...Canyon....help is appreciated! - 10/20/11 02:15 PM

I love the trout fishing area near Sattler. That is the best luck I have had in the Canyon area. It's very serene and peaceful and there are some large fish in the trophy area. I just moved into a house at Canyon and am seriously considering hiring a guide for a few trips to learn some tricks on the lake itself.

Posted By: TuN3R

Re: I've decided...Canyon....help is appreciated! - 10/20/11 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: cypher_orange
I love the trout fishing area near Sattler. That is the best luck I have had in the Canyon area. It's very serene and peaceful and there are some large fish in the trophy area. I just moved into a house at Canyon and am seriously considering hiring a guide for a few trips to learn some tricks on the lake itself.

Great and congrats on move ! Hopefully we will see you around .

Posted By: wgpj

Re: I've decided...Canyon....help is appreciated! - 10/20/11 07:06 PM

Dunlap has good population of Bass and bream. It has some cats though I find them extrememly difficult to find except on Jugs. Very very few stripers and crappie, never heard of anyone catching whites but that doesn't mean they haven't. Too far downstream for trout.

Posted By: Redshad1

Re: I've decided...Canyon....help is appreciated! - 10/21/11 10:46 PM

Canyon is a really good lake if u can finesse fish. Otherwise u should look into choke canyon.

Posted By: Redshad1

Re: I've decided...Canyon....help is appreciated! - 10/21/11 11:03 PM

Dunlap is great for kids with perch fishing. Not so good for anything else.

Posted By: WahooBob

Re: I've decided...Canyon....help is appreciated! - 10/22/11 01:03 AM

I have caught whites and trout in dunlap cant tell ya where but caught a 19 1/2 in white last yr and ive seen 20lb striper caught there too.

Posted By: HENDO

Re: I've decided...Canyon....help is appreciated! - 10/22/11 04:21 PM

don't be fooled...catching whites and stripers in dunlap is not a common occurrence.

Posted By: papayak

Re: I've decided...Canyon....help is appreciated! - 10/22/11 04:33 PM

I recently retired and moved to Canyon Lake, haven't tried fishing yet. Think I will need to hire a guide to get some pointers. btw we just love living here it's so peaceful.

Re: I've decided...Canyon....help is appreciated! - 10/22/11 09:06 PM

I 100% agree with Hendo. Yea they are in there, but go out and try to catch one. You will have to do an awful lot of fishing to boat one.

Re: I've decided...Canyon....help is appreciated! - 10/22/11 09:12 PM

Gosh, guess whoever caught that 20 lbder didn't want to claim the record. Pro Guide Sean Kubiak says he holds the Dunlap striper record at 14 ponds, caught by accident while bass fishing.

Posted By: revoskeeter

Re: I've decided...Canyon....help is appreciated! - 10/22/11 10:35 PM

Canyon is an alsome little lake if you know where to fish. It aint Falcon but neither is dunlap.

Re: I've decided...Canyon....help is appreciated! - 10/23/11 12:23 AM

I fished for blacks\bass on Rayburn for 10yrs, then switched to whites and hybrids and never looked back. Although Rayburn is knot known for whites and hybrids, they can be found with a little knowledge and luck. I'm sure that I'll end up with a center console w/downriggers. I might end up a catfish or panfisherman. capt david

Posted By: fishinnb

Re: I've decided...Canyon....help is appreciated! - 10/23/11 01:54 AM

canyon can have some good catfishing, and the bluegills are always biting. look for mussel beds and the blues will prob be there.
i caught a striper trolling dunlap about 5 years ago. that's once in about 8 years + fishing dunlap with a boat. there are some big ones upstream and they have def made it to dunlap, but few and far between.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum