Texas Fishing Forum

BENBROOK WALLEYE?

Posted By: Tooslim87

BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 03/01/11 09:23 PM

I was throwing for shad at benbrook last night and caught a few small fish about 3 to 4 inches. They were best identified as walleye fry. I've fished benbrook for 20 years and never caught a walleye. Anybody ever caught or heard of walleye in benbrook?
Posted By: AgSellers04

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 03/01/11 09:31 PM

They were probably Gar
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 03/01/11 09:32 PM

3 or 4 inches?I can see how a river perch might be mistaken for a small walleye..
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 03/01/11 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: cborden
3 or 4 inches?I can see how a river perch might be mistaken for a small walleye..

possible. get a close up pic of one and post it if you can, next time. I have fished benbrook for 35 years and never seen a walleye come out of it.
Posted By: gray

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 03/01/11 10:05 PM

Sounds like a little sucker-fish, to me...

It would be very nice to find a place to catch walleyes. They are the best freshwater fish I have ever eaten, by far.
Posted By: BridgeportGuide

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 03/01/11 10:28 PM

Log Perch

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 03/01/11 10:59 PM

Keith,
Good call. I never even heard of a log perch. But, I looked it up and it completely makes sense. Thank you. And, here is a link with more information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logperch

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 03/01/11 11:00 PM

Keith,
Good call. I never even heard of a log perch. But, I looked it up and it completely makes sense. Thank you. And, here is a link with more information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logperch
Posted By: Starless

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 03/01/11 11:05 PM

They're most likely Log Perch. I see someone's already mentioned that, but that's almost certainly what they were. Definitely not Walleye.

Texas has several species of Log Perch, including the standard Log Perch, The Texas Log Perch, and the Bigscale Log Perch.

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 03/01/11 11:42 PM

Well I guess what I call a river perch is technically a log perch..Use to catch a few on Pk and now I am seeing them in Granbury.Cool looking fish.
Posted By: Sumfish

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 03/02/11 01:25 AM

In late 2000 or early 2001 I caught fingerling Walleye in thrownet at PK, just before the first outbreak of GA. Never caught one out of Benbrook and I have been fishing it since I was 4 (first fish I remember catching was a 4lb LMB on a cane pole) and I am 52 now, neither have I heard of a Walleye coming out of that lake. However they did stock Lake Weatherford with around 5 million Walleye.
Also never saw a gar in the lake and always heard that the salinity was too low for gar to be present.

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 03/02/11 01:49 AM

lol gar are the rats of the fish family..They can live anywhere..What you caught at pk was river perch..Bet they felt like sand paper.5 million walleye in Weatherford and not one report of someone catching one?Something smells fishy.
Posted By: Starless

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 03/02/11 01:50 AM

5 million walleye in Weatherford and not one report of someone catching one?Something smells fishy.

That would be all the dead Walleye that died shortly after stocking in the '80's. Since they didn't survive well on Weatherford. Or most of the other lakes TPWD threw them into years back.

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 03/02/11 01:54 AM

lol gar are the rats of the fish family..They can live anywhere..What you caught at pk was river perch..Bet they felt like sand paper.5 million walleye in Weatherford and not one report of someone catching one?Something smells fishy.

there was actually 1 or 2 mounted and on the wall in the weatherford marina many years ago. yes, there were a few caught- and one guy claimed that there were still some in the lake by the damn in the deep holes.... my dad never saw him catch one, but he was always out in the middle of the lake jigging for them and swore up and down he still could catch them....

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 03/02/11 02:12 AM

I stand corrected..Just figured our water was way to hot for a stable walleye population..But on a research of river perch they spawn sooner than most fish and may attribute to the recent catches..

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 03/02/11 02:17 AM

i agree on the log perch. i just didnt want to say anything cause the bass love them wink

i still wonder if that guy on weatherford really does catch walleye, or if he just drinks too much smile LOL!
Posted By: imgonefishing

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 03/02/11 03:33 AM

If it looked like this is a Texas Log perch. I have caught several the last few years in the cast net at Benbrook. I contacted TPW a few years ago hoping they were a protected species, hoping it would stop the 7-12 drops in the lake each year from them pumping water out.but no such luck.

Posted By: James P.

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 03/02/11 05:49 PM

i snaged one of those at pool last year on a trap thought it was carp fry
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 03/02/11 07:04 PM

No walleye left in Weatherford. The first population survived but the conditions are not right for them to reproduce. The originial population died off a long time ago.
Posted By: rjones69

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 02/09/16 08:50 PM

A few months back my neighbors son brought a fish to my house he caught in Bear Creek a mile or so from benbrook (We live in a subdivision that backs up to Bear Creek). We normally will catch a lot of bass, perch, catfish in there when it's running. It MOST definitely was a Walleye! teeth and all, I have pics to prove it. The fish was about 9 inches long and had the exact same coloring as a walleye. Log perch don't have long sharp teeth similar to a speckled trout... I know in the stocking history for Lake Benbrook on the TPWD website, It said they had stocked walleye in Benbrook in the '70's, apparently they are still there and spawning...... Good to know!
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 02/09/16 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: rjones69
A few months back my neighbors son brought a fish to my house he caught in Bear Creek a mile or so from benbrook (We live in a subdivision that backs up to Bear Creek). We normally will catch a lot of bass, perch, catfish in there when it's running. It MOST definitely was a Walleye! teeth and all, I have pics to prove it. The fish was about 9 inches long and had the exact same coloring as a walleye. Log perch don't have long sharp teeth similar to a speckled trout... I know in the stocking history for Lake Benbrook on the TPWD website, It said they had stocked walleye in Benbrook in the '70's, apparently they are still there and spawning...... Good to know!

Post the pics then..........
Posted By: travman

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 02/10/16 03:02 AM

yes i need to see proof lol! I live down the road from benbrook and havent heard of any walleye being pulled from there in the 26 yrs i have lived around here....

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 02/10/16 05:07 AM

However there is a little small lake around the dfw are that does have some walleye fish hint its near cleburne

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 02/10/16 05:09 AM

tpwd stocked it with 365,000 last year
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 02/10/16 01:11 PM

I believe wheeler branch has a walleye population that is maintained

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 02/10/16 01:28 PM

I caught about 2 lb Walleye on Grapevine long time ago

I used to target them on Lewisville around the old party cove by the 35 bridge, never caught one. Knew a few guys who caught them back in the day........
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 02/10/16 08:20 PM

The walleye are able to survive the warmer temps around here, the problem is many of the lakes don't have the Rocky structure and cool enough water for them to reproduce. Temps have to get down to the mid to low 40s for a successful walleye spawn with lots of rock structure. Saugeye would probably make it around here but I bet the stocking programs would cost too much.
Posted By: BearfootGypsie

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 02/10/16 10:16 PM

wopics
Posted By: 374 Trigger

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 02/11/16 02:34 PM

referring back to the post of no gar in Benbrook.Dad fished Benbrook startin the first day it opened and I grew up fishing it hard and now at 66 ive never seen a gar in the lake.
Posted By: captaincam3

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 02/11/16 05:16 PM

Ive seen small gar in the back of Bear creek when the water is clear and full, but not many and never seen any rise anywhere in the lake.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 02/11/16 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: rjones69

No, TPWD does not indicate any stockings of walleye at Lake Benbrook in the 1970s. And, it shows listings as far back as 1968.

TPWD does show walleye stockings at Lake Weatherford in the early 1980s on several occasions . . . and this lake is next in the chain "up river" from Benbrook. Water coming out of Weatherford flows into Benbrook; and, Weatherford also occasionally buys water and pumps it back into Weatherford from Benbrook in drought situations. As I recall, it did this recently before the last drought broke.

Now, it doesn't mean walleye aren't in Benbrook, there is at least a fairly ancient path for it to have occurred, but it would be one of those Jurassic Park moments I suppose where nature's will perseveres.

I would like to see a photo, for sure. I sort of hope they are in Benbrook though I align myself with the camp that thinks it is highly unlikely.

Brad
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 02/15/16 05:12 AM

Posted By: Culling again

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 02/15/16 11:41 AM

Looks like a walleye to me

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 02/15/16 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: robert hunter

What lake? Wheeler Branch?
Posted By: Brad R

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 02/15/16 02:56 PM

The photo with the young man wearing the shade cap on is definitely holding a walleye and he is definitely on Wheeler Branch where there are definitely walleye. That has never been disputed. While I have never caught one out there, I have seen others who have.

Not sure regarding the provenance of the latter photos. Is this a fish caught on Benbrook?

Brad
Posted By: 374 Trigger

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 02/15/16 06:15 PM

sure not Benbrook looks like wheeler
Posted By: karpbuster

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 02/15/16 09:30 PM

Originally Posted By: straight angler
I was throwing for shad at benbrook last night and caught a few small fish about 3 to 4 inches. They were best identified as walleye fry. I've fished benbrook for 20 years and never caught a walleye. Anybody ever caught or heard of walleye in benbrook?

I have caught many walleyes over the years, the easiest way to ID is the white tip on bottom of tail, the teeth and the eyes. The fingerlings look like the big ones just smaller.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 02/16/16 01:10 AM

The log perch are OK but I prefer the tree bass.
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 02/16/16 01:11 AM

Yea definitely wheeler branch I have really figure them out they are fantastic eating I need to apply for the lake record I've caught several over 4 pounds. I have been catching them every trip out now. I have been trying to catch them out there since that Lake opened I have put in a ton of days and read about all the walleye information I could possibly take in. Just this last summer I finally got dialed in on them.
Posted By: charlief1

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 02/16/16 04:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Scoundrel
The log perch are OK but I prefer the tree bass.

roflmao
Posted By: GROD

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 02/18/16 10:39 PM

There are gar in Benbrook. Not as many as some
Other lakes around here but they're there for sure.

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 07/19/16 02:16 PM

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 07/19/16 02:22 PM

It USED to be on there I swear. I also saw myself that it was no longer on the stocking history. Maybe because they didn't survive for the most part? Might have to call TPWD to make sure.
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 07/20/16 01:49 PM

There was a major push by TPW to stock walleye in Texas in the late 70's and early 80's. They never took hold due to the water conditions and temps. Sure there are some that have a small population like Wheeler but never Benbrook.
Posted By: blooper961

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 07/20/16 02:41 PM

I have caught drum out of Joe Pool.
There not supposed to be any fish in that lake

Re: BENBROOK WALLEYE? - 07/25/16 07:25 PM

I've definitely seen gar in Benbrook, mainly in the bear creek arm as well.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum