Texas Fishing Forum

Best Alluminum Fishing Boat

Posted By: CJSTEVEN

Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/09/11 07:31 PM

I'm new to fishing and like fishing for bass, sand bass and crappie. The lakes I fish are Lewisville, Ray Roberts and sometimes Moss Lake. My budget is around 15k so Alluminum boats appeal more to me because of the price. What is the best quality brand and where can I get the most bang for the buck.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Posted By: HENDO

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/09/11 07:36 PM

http://www.xpressboats.com/view/131
Posted By: snmcc

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/09/11 07:41 PM

I would spend 9/10K on a good used fiberglass boat and use the other 5K for Fishfinders/powerpole/ and trolling motor.
Posted By: Mac Town Fuzz

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/09/11 07:47 PM

I'm not in the financial position to buy, but shop and wish everyday. While I like the lower operating costs and idea of having a nice aluminum boat, from what I've seen you can get better deals on used fiberglass boats. I'm not sure where your located, but I would watch craigslist, this forum and places like DFW boats. There are plenty of deals to be had if you have the money.
Posted By: RKT

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/09/11 07:48 PM

I have owned fiberglass and an aluminum bass boat. My aluminum was an Xpress X19 with a 150 hp motor. The Xpress only had a few drawbacks from the glass. The biggest is that the wind will push it a more than a heavier glass boat. The Xpress is not that light of a boat though. The Xpress handled rough water as good as most glass boats. However, it was not a Champion or Charger when it came to rough water. Out of the aluminum I would say Xpress has the best riding and handling boat but SeaArk makes the most durable. Most guys that say don't buy aluminum and get an older glass boat have never owned an Xpress.
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/09/11 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: CJSTEVEN
I'm new to fishing and like fishing for bass, sand bass and crappie. The lakes I fish are Lewisville, Ray Roberts and sometimes Moss Lake. My budget is around 15k so Alluminum boats appeal more to me because of the price. What is the best quality brand and where can I get the most bang for the buck.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I gotta say War Eagle is pretty innovative.
Posted By: chuck44l

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/09/11 08:07 PM

15K will buy you a very nice used Lund!!!!
Posted By: larrywc

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/09/11 08:18 PM

You go Mr. Hendo,and Mr. RKT, I'm on my 4th XPRESS

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/09/11 08:24 PM

I actually bought an old one('91 model), stripped it down to bare metal and rebuilt/repainted the entire thing to like new condition. When it was all said and done I had about $3500 in it.
Posted By: davetexas22

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/09/11 08:30 PM

Xpress!

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/09/11 08:33 PM

MPD165 I'm in the Argyle area.

I kinda like the Triton VT 17. Does anyone know anything about those? I was told to stay away from Tracker because they use wood for the decks unlike Lowe and Triton who use metal for the decks.

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/09/11 08:42 PM

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/boa/2147239563.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/boa/2148338714.html
Posted By: wild bill

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/09/11 10:11 PM

Got to join here I bought a used Xpress last year 18 foot long with a 90 yahama, I did not worry about the rough bottom as It can be welded. I rebuilt the inside with huge flipping deck, live well, storage box added a foot trolling motor . I spent my extra cash on good depth finders and rods and reels when I found them on sale.

Look at a good used aluminum boat you will be surprised at what is out there.
wild bill
Posted By: bigdipper

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/10/11 01:26 AM

I love my Lund
Posted By: HawkeyeFisher

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/10/11 01:33 AM

don't overlook a bass tracker, their hulls arn't bad, you'll get pushed around a bit in the wind, but with a 90 merc. you can go 45 or so. Not too bad. in fact, i might have an '04 model for sale soon.
Posted By: texasblueheron

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/10/11 01:35 AM

It seems like fiberglass starts to develop cracks after 10 years.

I owned an 1984 Skeeter SD-80 that I sold in 2004. I bought it ten years old and still got 10 years out of it. By the time that I sold it, it needed some fiberglass work for sure - Make sure you check the TRANSOM if you buy a used fiberglass boat.

After I sold the Skeeter in 04', I found an 1998 Aluminum Ranger Cherokee which I still own today. I'm very happy with it. I believe that I can probably get ten more years out of the boat.

The comment about stability in wind is definitely a consideration. Aluminum boats just get pushed around easier under windy conditions. Pontoon boats are much worse in terms of boat control in wind.
Posted By: daddystog

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/10/11 03:10 AM

The Triton aluminum and xpress boats are great boats , I just traded from a 19' aluminium bass boat to a 21' Glass boat, a Triton 21TR dual console , yes it's much smoother in rough water and handles alot better in the wind but I can't fish some of the places I could with the smaller boat , so if you'll be fishing big lakes and fishing in the wind a lot buy a used 21' glass boat , if you like fishing smaller lakes and don't plan on fishing in rough water and wind You can get a lot more for your money buying a good used Aluminum boat
Posted By: tufffish

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/10/11 03:12 AM

a 16' bluewave will run you around 15,000 brand new. if you are gonna go with aluminum, i would look at a g3 or tracker deep v. the bluewave may be lighter than the aluminum. my 18' bluewave is lighter than a lot of aluminum boats. the bluewave is very nice to ride the rougher water in.
Posted By: Tommy Yetts

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/10/11 01:50 PM

Check out the Alumacraft boats. We now stock them.
http://www.alumacraft.com/
Posted By: FishWalton

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/10/11 02:16 PM

All kinds of answers here. I bought an aluminum flat boat in 1970 and used it up until about 3 months ago when I bought another used aluminum boat of craigslist. Nothing wrong with the old boat except I'm older now and need a wider more stable boat.

The old boat is a Duracraft with revits and it still does not leak. Amazing craftsmanship by Duracraft. It's a member of the family and I hate to sell it in the spring.

My new boat is a G3 flat boat and it's 3 years old in perfect condition. The price was half of the same new setup would cost. It was a 250 mile trip to see the boat before money exchanged, but it was worth it.

There are some deals out there.

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/10/11 03:42 PM

Originally Posted By: HawkeyeFisher
don't overlook a bass tracker, their hulls arn't bad, you'll get pushed around a bit in the wind, but with a 90 merc. you can go 45 or so. Not too bad. in fact, i might have an '04 model for sale soon.

How much are you wanting for the Tracker?
Posted By: Lowly Net Boy

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/10/11 07:46 PM

Bought an xpress 20 yrs ago, back then they were call Alumaweld Xpress an H56 w/140 rude on the back, it was a little scarey,a little wet,rough riding, wind blown boat. But it survived 15 yrs on fork, got me into places no one else could go and caught fish like crazy and still runs to this day with NO LEAKS, gave it to my son-inlaw when I bought my champ. So 2 cents say Xpress
Posted By: engine1129

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/10/11 09:06 PM

i bought an aluminum triton 186 from tommy at rockwall marine and have had very good luck with it,no probs so far with rough water or anything,also tommy will treat right....

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/10/11 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: engine1129
i bought an aluminum triton 186 from tommy at rockwall marine and have had very good luck with it,no probs so far with rough water or anything,also tommy will treat right....

Can you tell me more about the Triton? How is runs (top speed etc..) and what size engine you got on the back of it.
Posted By: HawkeyeFisher

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/10/11 11:37 PM

PM SENT regarding TRACKER
Posted By: Big Red 12

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/11/11 05:51 PM

Xpress. We have amn '06 17' with a 96" beam that handles rough water well. My son is trying to sell it. It would be in your price range. Yamaha 4-stroke 115 HP with very, very low hours on it. It will run about 58 mph loaded down.
Posted By: engine1129

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/11/11 07:59 PM

18.5 ft with a 115 yamaha 4 stroke full of fuel with me and my son on board it will run about 42-43 mph according to gps...had it on t wok in some pretty rough water and it done fine.
Posted By: texcajun

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/11/11 08:30 PM

I own an Alumacraft 1650 tunnel hull and it is built to last and take a beating while doing it. Not the smoothest riding out there by a long shot, but it has never let me down.

Originally Posted By: Tommy Yetts
Check out the Alumacraft boats. We now stock them.
http://www.alumacraft.com/

Posted By: Eastexn

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/12/11 03:30 AM

I really like the Tracker 16' Panfish Crappie boat.

And, thanks to this forum, I just bought one and am ready to use it whenever the temps get over 50 deg.
Posted By: Retired Guy

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/12/11 07:42 PM

I have a G3 1652 that I am very happy with. It has a 40 HP Yamaha which is plenty of motor for me. It will do around 30 MPH with two people abord and fully loaded with gear. I bought it from a firend of mine who used it in Galveston's west bay for five years before winning a CCA tagged redfish tournment in this boat winning a much larger boat and truck. I use it on the Trinity river and a few lakes in my area and love it. It is a smooth ride and a very dry ride unlike some other aluminum and fiberglass boats I have been in.

Richard
Posted By: aggiefisher3

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/12/11 10:30 PM

xpress! The only aluminum boat there is!
Posted By: Bud B

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/12/11 11:33 PM

I bought my Triton V186 Magnum with a Merc 115 seven years ago, and still love it. It's stable, handles rough water well, has lots of storage and deck space, it's just a very well built boat.
Posted By: Jeff_W

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/12/11 11:38 PM

Doesn't matter too much on aluminum.... just get a deep or semi-deep V hull, and you will be happy. I've owned plenty of flat-bottom aluminum boats (Sea Ark, Alumacraft), and hands-down, my Tracker TV-18 from Bass Pro is the best. It handles rough water as good as any other boat.
Posted By: BHR

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/13/11 01:46 AM

Lowe makes good aluminum boats at a decent price.
Posted By: chuckwagon

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/13/11 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By: MPD165
I'm not in the financial position to buy, but shop and wish everyday. While I like the lower operating costs and idea of having a nice aluminum boat, from what I've seen you can get better deals on used fiberglass boats. I'm not sure where your located, but I would watch craigslist, this forum and places like DFW boats. There are plenty of deals to be had if you have the money.

Just make sure that any "deal" you get on a boat has a CLEAR TITLE and is in the SELLER'S NAME and is VISIBLE and CONCRETELY in his HAND!

(I learned "the hard way" by not doing this. frown
Posted By: CanadiYak

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/13/11 02:26 AM

anything by Lund the best of the best
Posted By: RAP36

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/13/11 02:48 AM

I have a 08 Express with a 50 hp yahama and i love the s@#t out of it. I dont have to mix the fuel it does that on its owne.
just add oil in the oil tank and gas in the gas tank. The boat does the rest. New? $14.500
Posted By: RAP36

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/13/11 02:50 AM

OH.WEST BOATS. MESQUITE TX
Posted By: BHR

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/13/11 03:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Playing Hooky

LUND

Leaky Unreliable..... No Deal

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/13/11 05:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Big Red 12
Xpress. We have amn '06 17' with a 96" beam that handles rough water well. My son is trying to sell it. It would be in your price range. Yamaha 4-stroke 115 HP with very, very low hours on it. It will run about 58 mph loaded down.

Do you have any pics? How much are you wanting for it?
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/13/11 06:19 AM

Tracker, SeaArk, and Xpress are all middle of the pack, or lower. I've owned all three. They may be best in worst ride, getting you wet, or breaking at welds, but all three are far from being best.
Posted By: chuckwagon

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/13/11 11:06 AM

Gittchee uhh 1956 Crestliner like the one in this pic. built right and TOUGH ENOUGH! thumb
Posted By: hunglikeaBASS

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/14/11 03:24 AM

definatly check out bass pro shops tracker pro team 175's or there deep v's!! there pro team 175,with a 60 hp(does 40mph) is only with 13k with 5 year warranty on the motor!!
Posted By: chuck44l

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/14/11 03:31 AM

Originally Posted By: BHR
Originally Posted By: Playing Hooky

LUND

Leaky Unreliable..... No Deal

Just wondering why you say that and what do you have to back it up with?
Posted By: Jeff_W

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/14/11 12:06 PM

Dont know why everbody is ate up with lunds..... yes they are good boats but just a little overpriced! It makes me think of how some people will purchase a lexis at top dollar when its nothing more than a toyota with nicer trim etc. I have fished out of lunds before and dont think there any better than my tracker tv18 that i bought new for 18k! A lund of the same caliber was 30-32k! tracker has a lifetime warranty on welds and motor (merc opti) has a 5yr. warranty! Plenty of storage and a smooth dry ride.
Posted By: USNfool

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/15/11 02:39 AM

XPRESS hands down. I have a 2009 18ft XPRESS with a 150 Yamaha. I love it; fishes great, has lots of features those bigger boats have.
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/15/11 09:57 AM

Originally Posted By: USNfool
XPRESS hands down. I have a 2009 18ft XPRESS with a 150 Yamaha. I love it; fishes great, has lots of features those bigger boats have.

Hope you have better luck with your 18' Xpress than I did mine. It was welded up twice by West Boats, sent back to the factory three times to be welded and repaired. 1st time took 3 months, 2nd time 2 months, and 3rd time only six weeks. That was with me taking it to Hot Springs and picking it up. I also have three friends who have trouble with Xpress breaking at the welds. Good Luck!
Posted By: fishy finder

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/16/11 08:57 AM

I have x-19 xpress with 200 yamaha. I bought it last april has performed well in rough water (lake amistad 20mph winds) no broken welds... the 19ft has thicker aluminum than the smaller boats, maybe that helps (don't really know) has ran 65 on gps... too fast for me ... I like to cruise about 35, it'll stay on a plane in the low 20's.... don't know how it ranks against boats I haven't owned but I like it...
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/16/11 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Jeff_W
Dont know why everbody is ate up with lunds..... yes they are good boats but just a little overpriced! It makes me think of how some people will purchase a lexis at top dollar when its nothing more than a toyota with nicer trim etc. I have fished out of lunds before and dont think there any better than my tracker tv18 that i bought new for 18k! A lund of the same caliber was 30-32k! tracker has a lifetime warranty on welds and motor (merc opti) has a 5yr. warranty! Plenty of storage and a smooth dry ride.

I guess you could say the same thing about Cadillac and Chevy or Lincoln and Ford, or Acura and Honda. One might want to look at comparable retails and resales when it comes to pricing. When I went to sell my 18 year old Ranger, some of the prospective buyers used to say...I can get a newer "Stratos, or Procraft" for less money...and I used to say "then go buy it". If you don't know the difference it probably doesn't mean much to you. Were I buying aluminum I personally think it would be between Lund and War Eagle, but thats just me.
Posted By: blue175

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/17/11 12:59 AM

i have a 07 proteam 175 and it rides great.not a speed demon and it does get pushed in the wind but a bigger trolling motor and it works fine and not as hard on the battery as the heavier boats plus great gas milage. i fished a 1 1/2 years on the media trail in it and the only time that was rough was on ray roberts during one of those horrible wind days and we just had to stay up in a creek, we had plenty of company all size boats too. partner bought a 21i so now my boat does not get much use, bet i didnt put 3 hours on it this year.i bought mine for the reason of the cost and also i could get a new one with waranty and not have to sweat about paying 13000 for a boat and hope the motor didnt blow on me or taking on someone elses problem. bring on another thousand is expected ,but not when i first get a boat.good luck with your decision and if you have questions about a tracker shoot me a pm and ill do my best to answer them
Posted By: BeltonBasser

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/17/11 01:47 PM

I don't have any experience with anything other than my '04 Bass Tracker Pro Team 175... Have a 60hp 4-stroke Merc on it and absolutely love it. Not a Ferrari (runs 32 at 5000 rpm), but I have nowhere to be in a hurry. Even tow my kids on a 2 person tube with no effort! Unbelievably smooth ride, even with a bit of chop.

Picked it up last year for $6500 and it was in nearly mint-condition... Am out every other weekend and it has never missed a beat. Lightweight (tow it easily with an Acura MDX) and super easy to launch and load all by myself (only missed a loading effort once... 25 mph cross-wind).

Has all the features I wanted and was great value for the money... Would do it again in a heartbeat!
Posted By: MCooper

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/17/11 02:57 PM

Duracraft- 20 years ago, I received my grandfather's 1960 16' rivited flatbottom and it is still in service. new outboard every 15 years and no problem for what the vessel is.
Posted By: TheGizzard

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/19/11 12:28 AM

Have a 2005 alumacraft pf170 with a 50 hp,merc.I love mine
Posted By: TheGizzard

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/19/11 12:29 AM

Oh yea,BOAT SHOW in S.A. the end of jan.
Posted By: Flukester

Re: Best Alluminum Fishing Boat - 01/22/11 05:19 AM

I have a 96 Champion for sale
19'1"
200 Mariner
White with silver stripes
Asking $10,000
Tandem axle trailer
Runs 68-70 depending on conditions and load
Great boat, just boat a new boat though and have too many now

Let me know if you are interested
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum