Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Weatherford

Posted By: fishingallday

Lake Weatherford - 07/16/10 02:55 AM

Looking at some properties around the lake and was wondering how the fishing is up there. I've never been on the lake. I mainly fish for crappie and bass.
Does it get crowded in the summer with lots of skiers? Any info would be greatly apprecitated.
Posted By: Kerry Dugan

Re: Lake Weatherford - 07/16/10 03:06 AM

Sandbass and crappie are good, have friends who catch nice blacks also. As far as the traffic, YES during this time of year it is played on very often.
Posted By: Smithaven

Re: Lake Weatherford - 07/16/10 02:40 PM

The fishing at Lake Weatherford is as good or better than the area lakes for crappie, catfish, sand bass, sunfish and large mouth bass. Some really large crappie and bass are caught.

If you are buying property be sure to get on the South end of the lake ( south of the old White Settlement Road crossing). Properties on the north end are on shallow water and have flooded. Property on Marina View Court is prime, as well as property on Parker Point.

There is a fair amount of boat traffic and PWC traffic from Memorial Day to Labor Day, but it is really quiet during the prime fishing seasons in the fall and spring.

By the way, I have retired from the marina so I think my post is objective.

Lilburn
Posted By: Zach412

Re: Lake Weatherford - 07/16/10 08:35 PM

You can catch alot of crappie at W'ford and I know a guy that has caught 10 blacks over 10 lbs out of there in the past 5 years
Posted By: North Texas Bass Assasin

Re: Lake Weatherford - 07/17/10 01:22 AM

my first 10lber was from weatherford
Posted By: Stogie

Re: Lake Weatherford - 07/18/10 06:08 PM

My BIL has a small place for sale on the lake. If interested and I will put you two together.
Posted By: bakerlies2allen

Re: Lake Weatherford - 07/18/10 07:25 PM

Look hard at the property taxes. They never charged property tax, but now I hear they do even though it's 'city property'. Heard some horror strories!
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Lake Weatherford - 07/18/10 08:12 PM

10 lb'ers there?
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Lake Weatherford - 07/18/10 10:03 PM

The little lake would surprise you. I know of at least 4 fish over 10 that were caught out there last year. The lake record is bigger than Eagle Mountain's.

The lake can get stingy with the fish, but right now the water is up so its getting better.

Posted By: KickerFish29

Re: Lake Weatherford - 07/19/10 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish Killer
The little lake would surprise you. I know of at least 4 fish over 10 that were caught out there last year. The lake record is bigger than Eagle Mountain's.

The lake can get stingy with the fish, but right now the water is up so its getting better.

I'm pretty sure the lake record is over 12lbs.

Posted By: KickerFish29

Re: Lake Weatherford - 07/19/10 07:04 PM

Posted By: Branden H.

Re: Lake Weatherford - 07/19/10 11:14 PM

12.55lbs and there is bigger in there...and im going to beat it one of these days!!!
Posted By: fishingallday

Re: Lake Weatherford - 07/20/10 01:10 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. This is the first chance I've had to get back on here. Stogie, I sent you a PM. Thanks.
Posted By: Stogie

Re: Lake Weatherford - 07/20/10 01:41 PM

PM returned.
Posted By: Brad Dunn

Re: Lake Weatherford - 07/22/10 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: KreitureKing

From the TPWD

Bass, Largemouth 12.37 25.00 May 31, 1999 Lloyd Hull  
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Lake Weatherford - 07/23/10 11:38 PM

Lake levels would be a big concern, this year is great, the pass not so great.
Posted By: One Blessed Dude

Re: Lake Weatherford - 06/20/17 04:43 AM

I'm headed out there for the first time tomorrow. Trying to catch bass. Any tips?
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Lake Weatherford - 06/20/17 11:29 AM

Originally Posted By: bakerlies2allen
Look hard at the property taxes. They never charged property tax, but now I hear they do even though it's 'city property'. Heard some horror strories!

No, property taxes have always been assessed on the "improvements," that is, on the home you buy or build, garages, etc. The physical structures. However, lake home owners don't own the land, they lease it. So, in addition to the property taxes, they pay an annual lease for the land itself.

The lake has morphed a bit over the decades. It was once dominated by smaller almost fishing shacks on septic tanks. Some still exist out there but they are being razed and the land used for newer and larger homes. Once the city made improvements, adding a sewage system was a big deal, much nicer homes began to pop up around the lake.

I have fished it. I think it is a good crappie lake. For LMBs, it is like a lot of FW area lakes: you can catch a fair number of rather small ones, then the occasional giant.

The best thing about the lake? It is out in the country yet just a short drive back into FW so it has become popular for people who need access to work.

Brad
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Lake Weatherford - 06/20/17 11:34 AM

I should have added that Possum Kingdom also used land leases historically, then converted to fee simple ownership as best I recall.

Weatherford? How short-sighted it is to think that it will attract the best "revenue base" by leasing the land. Some people, a lot of people, are hesitant to build nice properties on land leases.

Just a guess that if the lots were converted to fee simple ownership that Weatherford's tax collections would go up dramatically. Why? People would build bigger and more expensive homes to tax.

It would also likely price anyone looking for a small and simple weekend home out of the market, so it isn't all good.

Brad
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum