Texas Fishing Forum

Question regarding Braided lines?

Posted By: Brit

Question regarding Braided lines? - 04/28/10 12:24 AM

I hate to beat a dead horse here de, but does the invisabraid or fireline crystal (pardon me if I got the names messed up) really turn invisible under water because on the spool it looks very white and seems obviously not "invisible". Thanks
Brit
Posted By: bchlr

Re: Question regarding Braided lines? - 04/28/10 03:45 PM

maybe, but I don't think it matters much
same reason why they made red braids, researches show that red is the first color to disappear after you get to a certain depth
the question is how deep
Posted By: beezy

Re: Question regarding Braided lines? - 04/29/10 02:44 AM

the color red supposedly disappears underwater at about 3 feet deep. I don't think that it truly disappears, but it's more of a gimmick to sell products.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Question regarding Braided lines? - 04/29/10 07:47 PM

Ok so ponder this, if the color red disappears in 3ft, as the makers claim....why do we buy so many red hooks? Red worms? Red rattle traps? Red....etc. etc. someone is not being honest LOL
Posted By: JZA

Re: Question regarding Braided lines? - 04/29/10 11:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Dan702
Ok so ponder this, if the color red disappears in 3ft, as the makers claim....why do we buy so many red hooks? Red worms? Red rattle traps? Red....etc. etc. someone is not being honest LOL
hmmm I have wondered this myself.
Posted By: big fish2

Re: Question regarding Braided lines? - 04/30/10 03:56 AM

Maybe that's why I see some pro's fish red braid line on the reel when they are fishing a c rig. But I too don't think it matters much.

Posted By: zaspook

Re: Question regarding Braided lines? - 04/30/10 05:05 PM

I have not used fireline since it first came out and it broke on most hooksets. I tried invisabraid and didn't care for it. Went back to Stealth for all braid applications.
Posted By: Connor S

Re: Question regarding Braided lines? - 04/30/10 07:13 PM

try PowerPro, that stuff is crazy strong. and it lasts a long time.. a little tip for someone trying to make it last even longer, unreal all the line and flip it so that the line that was in the top is now on the bottom, and the bottom line that is now on top has its color still.
Posted By: James Tucker

Re: Question regarding Braided lines? - 04/30/10 07:16 PM

I use Team Catfish Tug o' War Nuclear Yellow braid on all my big reels. I have been catching stripers, crappie, black bass, gar, just about everything with this line in super shallow water. I do not think that fish are that skittish about line color.

Re: Question regarding Braided lines? - 07/21/15 01:10 PM

Originally Posted By: JZA

Just for clarity, It doesn't turn "invisible", it turns gray. It's how the light wavelengths interact with the water in the visible light spectrum.
Posted By: txmark1959

Re: Question regarding Braided lines? - 07/21/15 01:39 PM

I've had no issues with Power Pro and have been using it for going on 4 years
Posted By: LearnedHat

Re: Question regarding Braided lines? - 07/21/15 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: GrueneRiverRodCo

Just for clarity, It doesn't turn "invisible", it turns gray. It's how the light wavelengths interact with the water in the visible light spectrum.

And it's still opaque. Those other superlines may have some translucency which helps but I still tie flouro leaders with as small of diameter I can get away with except when I'm redfishing . . . the redfish is the Honey Badger of the ocean.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Question regarding Braided lines? - 07/21/15 10:28 PM

Bingo! Just because it "looses it color" down a few feet hardly means it disappears. Have no scientific evidence but I'm positive the fish see my solid braid wether it is still red, green...or becomes grey/black at depth. I do believe mono or fluoro is "less visable" because of its transparent nature. It's less visable to me. Want your braid to be invisible? Fish it in total darkness. :-)
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Question regarding Braided lines? - 07/22/15 01:09 AM

welcome to the TFF. What I want to know is how does a new guy find a post that is 5 years old. I have to hand it to you; I couldn't have even used the search engine and found it.
Posted By: Drop_shot_king

Re: Question regarding Braided lines? - 07/22/15 07:53 PM

+1

Re: Question regarding Braided lines? - 07/23/15 06:32 PM

Originally Posted By: LearnedHat

And it's still opaque. Those other superlines may have some translucency which helps but I still tie flouro leaders with as small of diameter I can get away with except when I'm redfishing . . . the redfish is the Honey Badger of the ocean.

Flouro leaders are the way to go with any type inshore/freshwater fish if your application can handle it(i.e. Topwaters can't), I typically use 25lb for reds and have a better catch rates and landing ratios vs straight braid. In high winds I'll throw a swivel between braid and leader to control line twist... Just my 2 pennies.

Tight Lines!
Posted By: RodBreaker CWill

Re: Question regarding Braided lines? - 07/25/15 03:26 PM

try PowerPro, that stuff is crazy strong. and it lasts a long time.. a little tip for someone trying to make it last even longer, unreal all the line and flip it so that the line that was in the top is now on the bottom, and the bottom line that is now on top has its color still.

Couldn't agree more with everything you said. That is exactly what I do. I use 65lb Power Pro Moss Green on my punch rigs
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum