Texas Fishing Forum

Alvarado Lake

Posted By: CWCW

Alvarado Lake - 09/29/09 08:46 PM

I have seen posts about this lake being back up to normal levels now and that the ramp is good now after all the rain we had. I have been waiting on it to get better since i bought my boat and this weekend will be my first time out there. I have never even seen this lake before and i live in Joshua. Hell, i didnt even know there was a lake there until about 6 months ago. Is there anything I need to watch out for in this lake? Any major stumps or anything that is tricky to manuver around that i wont be able to see because of the risen water level? Any thing i need to watch for? I have been to some of the other lakes around here (Benbrook, Whitney, Cleburne) when the water was low so i could see where structure was before it filled up some.
Posted By: DU Drake

Re: Alvarado Lake - 09/29/09 08:51 PM

No stumps, pretty steep ramp though
Posted By: David Lee

Re: Alvarado Lake - 09/30/09 12:28 AM

No stumps to worry about the east side around the point gets shallow a ways out, but with the lake up it should be no problem.
Posted By: BassKicker74

Re: Alvarado Lake - 09/30/09 01:19 AM

PM Sent
Posted By: SlabNSteve

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/01/09 03:48 AM

I was out there late Sunday evening with the wife and kid for about two hours and caught several BB at the far south east end of the lake. We were using a chart/white buzz bait and a pearl white Zoom Super Fluke in the shallow grass. The wife was using a LG View cell phone that caught NOTHING!!! smirk

It has been at least ten years sense I have fished there (haven't owned a boat in this time). I plan on going back tomorrow and will give a report ASAP.

I have fished Whitney, Cleburne and Alvarado so far and Alvarado sure has helped with my confidence building.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/01/09 03:55 AM

If any of you guys have any pointers for Alvarado or just a secret fishing hole; I'm all ears.

Bass, Crappie or Cat

Thanks in advance!!!!

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/01/09 01:06 PM

Originally Posted By: UncleFunky

I have fished Whitney, Cleburne and Alvarado so far and Alvarado sure has helped with my confidence building.

I hope it can do the same for me. I havent really lost my confidence because i havent been ripping fish out of the water on every outing because i am still very new to this and im learning alot. But it would be nice to go somewhere where the body of water is smaller and where fish bite, so you can catch something. I havent had very good luck on cleburne and whitney is sooooo big i dont really know where to go. I have caught sand bass in whitney over by the white bluffs but havent found the bass yet, and i have caught some fish down at Cleburne but it was hit and miss.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/01/09 08:10 PM

CWCW - I fished Alvarado again this morning. I did't find em' in the same place, but I did do well again flipping a jig n pig around the docks and spinner bait between the docks. I was sure the top water bite would be on again with total cloud cover this morning, but I was wrong and learned another lesson on the fly (fish don't play by the rule book). I took a pic. of one of the fish I caught with my phone, but I'm not smart enough to post it yet. She was about 4.5 lbs. grin

Posted By: hero fisherman

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/01/09 08:31 PM

At Alvarado use a senko or a fluke around the docks

and reeds,,,,,,also a shallow running crankbait I have

had success with running it parallel to the bank

out about fifteen to twenty feet from shoreline...Hopes this helps you
Posted By: ShamrockSmith

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/01/09 10:07 PM

The wife was using a LG View cell phone that caught NOTHING!!! smirk
rolfmao LMAO!!

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/02/09 12:35 PM

Hero - I did the rattle trap thing parallel with the bank trying to catch the jumpin' little bastages! I thought it would be on like Donky Kong, but I was wrong (didn't catch a one). I guess they were running shad up. The bait fish was very small and silver.

Is shad the bait of choice at Alvarado and is there a good population of sand bass?

Thanks for the tip!!!!!!!

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/02/09 01:54 PM

Hero - I did the rattle trap thing parallel with the bank trying to catch the jumpin' little bastages! I thought it would be on like Donky Kong, but I was wrong (didn't catch a one). I guess they were running shad up. The bait fish was very small and silver.

Is shad the bait of choice at Alvarado and is there a good population of sand bass?

Thanks for the tip!!!!!!!

Would sand bass be in a lake that small that doesnt have a connecting river? I aways assumed sand bass were more of a river fish that were in bigger lakes or ones that had river access. Like Granbury, PK, and Whitney or a lake that was pretty substantial in size. Anyone else know if Alvarado has sandies? Im used to chasing sandies up river in the brazos north of Whitney.
Posted By: DU Drake

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/02/09 07:31 PM

Alvarado has some nice sandies but I don't think there is a ton of them.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/02/09 08:59 PM

have caught quite a few sandies out of the lake myself.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/02/09 10:50 PM

Killed 'em yesterday on a Mann's 1-, pearl white/chartreuse back. Fish the wind blown shorlines northern half of the lake. Strike King Red Eye Shad in ayu color also produced.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/04/09 02:41 PM

Originally Posted By: AlvaradoZX176c
Killed 'em yesterday on a Mann's 1-, pearl white/chartreuse back. Fish the wind blown shorlines northern half of the lake. Strike King Red Eye Shad in ayu color also produced.

I haven't tried the north shore (the dam I guess)yet. I think there are some brush piles there; running a crank bait off the rocks would have to produce year round. I have updated the ol' Astro with a new Humminbird 535 that I installed yesterday. This should help me out with finding the brush piles. I'm chomping at the bit wanting to check it out, but I don't really want to get soaked doing so. Looks like I will have to see next weekend.

Good info here, don't let any else know our secrets!!! cheers
Posted By: ugotthatcash

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/05/09 06:57 AM

We won the Cleburne open last Sunday in the first 45 minutes of the tourney,and culled 8 times.Everyone else caught 2 or 3 all day.We fished docks with a lime green top yellow bottom H20 3-6'diving crank,and a blue fleck/firetail worm drop shotted.Fish the docks on the southwest end of the lake,past the no wake booyes.Fish sloooooooooowww,lake get's pressured.
Posted By: Alvarado Custom Tackle

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/05/09 02:20 PM

all u guys no that u need that special jig from alvarado custom tackle to catch fish on alvarado!!!!!! lmao

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/05/09 02:32 PM

Way to go ugotthatcash! Right behind where you were I have had very good luck fishing the grass with a chart. Lunker Lure buzz (early)/Spinner bait and bone colored Pop-R's.

I have yet to try the docks.

As soon as I get a little bit better I will be out there with you guys.. $$$$

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/05/09 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: alvaradocustomtackle
all u guys no that u need that special jig from alvarado custom tackle to catch fish on alvarado!!!!!! lmao

Send me a dozen, I've heard they are the shizzle!!!!!! bow_down
Posted By: RGBass

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/05/09 04:44 PM

TRying to get one this lake. Drove down CR 405E until it deadended inot what look like a boatr ramp but the gates were closed. Is this normal? When is it open? I didn't get out and look so the gates could have been unlocked, but it looked like they were trying to keep people out.

Was I in the right spot?

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/05/09 04:47 PM

public boat ramp is on park lane off of cr3136
Posted By: RGBass

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/05/09 05:02 PM

so just follow cr3136 and I'll see it?

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/05/09 05:07 PM

u have to turn on park lane road. u cant see the lake from cr3136. boat ramp is at the end of park lane.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/06/09 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: new-old1
so just follow cr3136 and I'll see it?

New-old1,
Sending you an IM
Posted By: CatMannDu

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/06/09 04:25 PM

Went out there 10-1 and between my partner and I, we boated 10 fish and missed several others. The big one weighed 7.7 lbs.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/06/09 10:43 PM

Did good. You should check out "Like Kings of Cowtown? Then check this out" topic under Tournament Dates & Information!

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/10/09 03:07 PM

Are any of you guys going to be on Alvarado today? I will probably be out there this afternoon. You can make me an offer and I might show you the secret Honey hole and the magic bait that is SOMEWHAT of a sure thing.
Posted By: cuda72

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/10/09 07:43 PM

Went out there this morning til noon. Did great in the shallow end. Tried the south end not much activity there for me so went back to the shallow end and played some more with the fish.
Wasn't to bad for being cold out.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/10/09 07:45 PM

Originally Posted By: cuda72
Went out there this morning til noon. Did great in the shallow end. Tried the south end not much activity there for me so went back to the shallow end and played some more with the fish.
Wasn't to bad for being cold out.

thumb

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/11/09 12:55 PM

Went out there yesterday with the fam. and didn't do so well with the crappie, but I picked up a couple of BB off the dam. We were at a disadvantage with the amount of whine that was pouring out of the boat. "I'm cold, are we done yet, my arss is cold, lets go to Long Johns and buy some fish (or whatever it is they serve), are we done yet? You get the picture.....

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/11/09 02:04 PM

I learned a long time ago not to take the family when I want to fish. lol. Mine did the same thing. If anyone is interested in fishing the Dirty South fall series, I'm looking for a partner!

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/11/09 06:13 PM

partner found thanks.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/12/09 01:31 AM

Hooked up the boat, drove two miles and it started raining, still went to Alvarado thinking it probably won't be raining there. The only action I saw was the guys pulling their boats out to get out of the rain. I was pissed!!!!!!!

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/12/09 02:13 AM

Why were you pissed?? You were at the lake doing what you love.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/12/09 02:23 AM

Originally Posted By: BassKicker74
Why were you pissed?? You were at the lake doing what you love.

I would have fished in the rain, but my bride didn't see it the way I was thinking.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/14/09 10:12 PM

Yes shad is the main food chain on Alvarado and there is alot of them and there is also alot of good size sand bass although I have not got into them this year but last year a friend of mine and he were in his boat watching the birds and often got doubles. A shad pttern or white shallow running crankbait will work, not sure about a book though

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/15/09 01:22 AM

Thanks Hero!!!!
Posted By: Chris G. Davis

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/24/09 12:55 AM

Guys as of today the lake has come up about 2 feet.
Some docks are under water as mine is not even visible.
Please take care if fishing this weekend and stay way out from the banks and docks. The bass are still in the flooded grass and brush. I caught a big Crappie on a spinner bait in less than 2 feet of water. Happy Fishing!

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/24/09 11:56 PM

Went out today from 3-5:30 boy is it windy. Went to the south end had a blast along grass in the flooded area nothing big.
Posted By: Trashguy

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/26/09 03:51 AM

Alvarado os INFESTED with Shad! I was practicing throwing my cast net and caught several 10"+ gizzaeds and 4"+ threadfins!

They need to stock some Hybrids or Stripers in that lake!!

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/26/09 01:17 PM

Originally Posted By: trashguy
Alvarado os INFESTED with Shad! I was practicing throwing my cast net and caught several 10"+ gizzaeds and 4"+ threadfins!

Where or what are you looking for when casting for shad? Those large shad would look good hanging from a jug...

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/26/09 01:25 PM

Originally Posted By: cuda72
Went out today from 3-5:30 boy is it windy. Went to the south end had a blast along grass in the flooded area nothing big.

That area is HOT, also the small cut on the north side of the grass you are talking about has been good to me also. The water is a little more clear in there.

Has anyone tested the water on the shallow end of the lake?

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/26/09 01:25 PM

Originally Posted By: trashguy

Lake aint deep enough for hybrid or striper.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/26/09 10:12 PM

Out on Sunday 2 to 6.
Very windy, fished the south side.
The fish are still in the grass and reeds.
Nothing big here either, any day now....

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/26/09 10:18 PM

The shallow end (west end) does have bait popping around.
Should be some fish on the south side in the reeds and grass.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/27/09 12:59 PM

Im going to make another trip there this weekend and see if i can get lucky. Third times the charm right? fish

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/27/09 01:07 PM

CWCW- Let me know when you plan on going. I would like to be there to take your picture when you hang that big pig, or at least just laugh when it spits the hook at ya'. popcorn2

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/27/09 01:09 PM

I hear the Banjo Minnow is the hot lure on Alvarado this week. rolfmao

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/27/09 02:45 PM

CWCW- Let me know when you plan on going. I would like to be there to take your picture when you hang that big pig, or at least just laugh when it spits the hook at ya'. popcorn2

If its nice i might try to go Saturday about 2pm or so and fish til dark. I hope thats the case this weekend. It dont have to be a big pig i just want to catch something in this lake.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/27/09 02:49 PM

Thats the hottest lure anywhere right now. Did you just see that stupid commercial on TV or something? I wonder if some fisherman buy that thing?

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/27/09 04:21 PM

keep me posted and we will tag team those little Bastages!!!

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/27/09 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: CWCW

Thats the hottest lure anywhere right now. Did you just see that stupid commercial on TV or something? I wonder if some fisherman buy that thing?

You haven't bought any yet? Not me either, I think I will stick with the junk I buy at Academy....

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/28/09 06:58 AM

Good luck out there guys,i'm going in the morning.I've been catching alot of fish around the whole lake.I won't tell you what i've caught them on,but your on track.lol Anyways,the shad are pushed way up,but the bass have already moved up and feasted,and with the water temps going down.Back up off the bank more,and fish 30' further out.The grass at the south end of the lake is dead and moving out fast.Was out there Sunday,and all the grass spots that was holding good fish,has died.So i noticed that the bait fish are moved out also,so that means the fish move out to the bait.BINGO, it took me a few hours to figure a pattern,but once you find them,then the keepers are there.So good luck this weekend,and i'll let you know how i did.The Cleburne Open is there the end of the month,so alot of info will be hard to get out of some people.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/28/09 01:18 PM

ugotthatcash - Thanks for the info. I am trying to learn how to be a better deep water fisherman, but it has been slow and somewhat frustrating. I will check out some spots off the dam the next time out. After purchasing a new fish finder I can now see some of the humps and bumps that I had no idea were there.

Now it's time to party!!!!!

Getting close??

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/28/09 01:43 PM

How high is the lake now?
Posted By: Bassinfool

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/28/09 02:15 PM

Ugotthatcash, the last jackpot tournament for the club was at Cleburne October 25, 2009 according to the website.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/28/09 02:32 PM

Yes bassinfool,my mistake thought they fished every other month between Alvarado and Cleburne.But guess the years over.So with that said,fish the mid-lake East and West banks,use a 1/8 oz chart/wht/red splatter,spinnerbaits.Caught a hog on a blk/blue jig.Buzz baits early in the morning.Start shallow and move deep.But continue NORTH not South,alot of good fish moved up to feed now.All the little cuts have been holding good fish.Cranks,spinners,jerks,and chatterbaits,have been producing for me.Soft plastics will work,but with the bass chasing food,it's too slow of a bait,to cover water effectivly.Headed out there in a few,so report back later.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/28/09 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: David Lee
Running over the spillway.Up probably 5-6' past normal.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/28/09 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: ugotthatcash
Originally Posted By: David Lee
Running over the spillway.Up probably 5-6' past normal.

Gonna be higher than that after the rain that is coming Thursday morning.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/30/09 02:20 AM

Did'nt get enough rain to make a difference in the water level,just the clarity.
Posted By: Texcwby

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/30/09 02:25 AM

Going to give it a shot early in the morning. Practicing technique mostly. If I catch anything it will be a bonus!

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/30/09 02:08 PM

Did'nt get enough rain to make a difference in the water level,just the clarity.

Yep, the rain fooled the forcasters. We were under a severe thunderstorm warning yesterday in Joshua with a 100% chance of rain. Um, that didnt happen at all. It just got cold.
Posted By: joho5

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/30/09 05:07 PM

ugotthatcash, hey when we were there for the tourney, it was our first trip on that lake so we didnt really get to get a good grip on the bottom pattern. I have a navionics program and my buddy of course has it on his graph unit.

Now out away from the banks, is there any drops, inconsistent bottoms, humps?

i was just wondering how you were targeting deeper open water bass with no distinct bottom contour changes, or if there are some...we didnt get to really look.

thanks man

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/31/09 07:06 AM

Originally Posted By: joho5
ugotthatcash, hey when we were there for the tourney, it was our first trip on that lake so we didnt really get to get a good grip on the bottom pattern. I have a navionics program and my buddy of course has it on his graph unit.

i was just wondering how you were targeting deeper open water bass with no distinct bottom contour changes, or if there are some...we didnt get to really look.

thanks man

I will be out there this morning and the plan is to find the deep water fishing holes near the dam. I'll give a report later today.
Posted By: joho5

Re: Alvarado Lake - 10/31/09 02:20 PM

thanks man....

Matt

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/02/09 01:31 AM

I fished both Saturday morning and this morning until noon. Didn't catch a thing Saturday and only caught two small little turds this morning.

I tried everything from shallow grass, reeds, docks, open water, and all over the dam. The two fish I did pick up was off the dam. There is a drop from around 30 yards out that drops from 5 ft. to 20 ft. up and down the length of the dam. This is where I caught them. I was using a DD22 rolling it SLOOOOOW so the fish could see it in the mud.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/02/09 01:34 AM

We did about the same. We fished Cleburne this morning and caught 1 flathead and a small bass.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/02/09 03:20 AM

Yes i have spent the past year on Alvarado,looking at what your wanting to know.But the lake is so small and i learned to read my electronics better,cause i could focus on an area and study the bottom,1 way by watching my graph,and 2 way,by dragging a worm across the bottom and feeling for deep structure.

thanks man

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/02/09 05:18 PM

Hey Dean - I thought the fish would like my new hair cut, but that presentation fell thru just like everything else did..

I thought I was just a no fish catching sumbuck, but after reading you guy's report, maybe I'm not too bad after all.

Steve

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/02/09 09:10 PM

Guys don't feel bad, I've lived there and fished that lake since 1972. 3 of us in the boat Sunday, fished hard for 3+ hours and got 5 keepers. 1 to 3 feet on spinner baits. Cool muddy water makes it tough!! On the question of structure, there is very little. The fish relate more to drop offs. Very few fish go deep in this lake. Good Luck!!!

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/03/09 02:33 PM

I fished both Saturday morning and this morning until noon. Didn't catch a thing Saturday and only caught two small little turds this morning.

I tried everything from shallow grass, reeds, docks, open water, and all over the dam. The two fish I did pick up was off the dam. There is a drop from around 30 yards out that drops from 5 ft. to 20 ft. up and down the length of the dam. This is where I caught them. I was using a DD22 rolling it SLOOOOOW so the fish could see it in the mud.

Me and my buddy fished Alvarado Saturday evening and caught nothing. We saw only a few active fish in the shallow areas. We too fished that drop off along the dam because we saw fish on the sonar staged on the drop off about 13ft down. I too used some deep running cranks and we even worked soft plastics down the drop off but they didnt seem to like what we had or didnt see what we were throwing. Water was very dirty. We also pitched plastics under the docks during the high bright sunny hours hoping to catch some that were hiding from the sun.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/03/09 02:44 PM

This past weekend was only my third time out on the lake but i didnt see much variation in the bottom of this lake. The most definate change in the bottom contour is the drop off by the dam that was mentioned above. Water right next to the dam is 6ft deep for about 10ft from the shore line out. Then the drop off shows up and drops from about 7ft to around 17-20ft. The whole north west end of the lake is a shallow flat and the grade from this flat end towards the center of the lake is very gradual. You can start from the NW end of th lake in 5ft of water and travel past the ramp towards the center of the lake and it only drops to about 10ft over half of the distance of the lake. If I could get a good day (no weather changes) when the fish were agressive in the shallows, i think there is enough lay downs,stumps, and tall grass in the shallows to make fishing good.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/04/09 12:18 AM

Very True, the West end is all flat, fish around docks and in the reeds. Past mid-lake toward the east the breaks become more defined. Some docks sit in 10+ feet. Keep looking at the steeper drops from the banks as the water cools. Fishing the dam gets better as the water cools over the next month also. Caught several monsters in November fishing there. Right now they are chasing shad during the afternoon. Spinners and cranks get it done. As the water cools they don't go real deep due to the stained water, just fish slower. Good Luck!
Going Wednesday afternoon!!! Maybe I'll get a monsta.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/04/09 02:02 AM

That is my plan for this week to stay shallow and saturate the shallow end with a spinnerbait and if it is clear enough I will try throwing one of my new swim baits (have yet to use a swim bait, but if I were a fish I would SMASH IT!!!

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/04/09 03:15 AM

UncleFunky -

My new hair cut didn't help me at Cleburne either. Maybe we should just stick to the basics and hope for the best. We also are going to try some new swim baits Sunday at Cleburne. If you don't have much to do Sunday come on out to Cleburne and donate like we do.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/04/09 02:30 PM

Dean

There went my chance to fish with a legend (well kinda).
I think I am hooked up with box seats to the NASCAR races Sunday. I have yet to go to a NASCAR race, but I do know that every tru Redneck must be into NASCAR. So here I go. I will probably be out somewhere Saturday morning though.

I went yesterday to Academy and got myself hooked up with some swim baits yesterday. They look so good I'm thinking of putting some Tony's on a couple and grilling them for lunch today.

I probably have a good idea where you are going to try them out, if the water has cleared up some I will try them and give a report. thumb

Steve

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/06/09 09:21 PM

Went out this morning only caught 2, seen plenty of fish jumping.
Caught them on white/chart/with red splatter

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/09/09 09:29 PM

Went out today from 11:30 -1:15.Slayed them the whole time.Caught alot of fish 5 keepers,and the rest were 13-13/78.But fished slow and only a few spots are holding fish right now.But if your gonna fish Alvarado,the lake is small enough to find them holding up somewhere.That's why it's important to be able to read your electronics.I fished grass for 15 minutes,but it's dead around the lake the fish are moving out to deeper water.The dam was full of fish,but in 15' of water.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/10/09 03:23 PM

Went out today from 11:30 -1:15.Slayed them the whole time.Caught alot of fish 5 keepers,and the rest were 13-13/78.But fished slow and only a few spots are holding fish right now.But if your gonna fish Alvarado,the lake is small enough to find them holding up somewhere.That's why it's important to be able to read your electronics.I fished grass for 15 minutes,but it's dead around the lake the fish are moving out to deeper water.The dam was full of fish,but in 15' of water.

Were they still sitting on the ledge just out from the dam? Were you fishing plastics down on the bottom for them?

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/11/09 12:43 AM

Not the dam,and yes fishing plastics reallyyyyy slowwwwwwwww.Casted let it set for a minute,then set the hook.It was insane the hits i got.1 right after another.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/11/09 01:43 AM

Not the dam,and yes fishing plastics reallyyyyy slowwwwwwwww.Casted let it set for a minute,then set the hook.It was insane the hits i got.1 right after another.

I think something was hitting something and it wasn't the fish!!!!

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/11/09 02:50 AM

If cash is serious he will tell the rest of us where the hot spot is.

I'm with you Dean, I think something is hitting something!!!!

We won't tell, it will be our secret. cheers

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/11/09 03:19 AM

Dean knows where they are,he's my partner.I fished around boat docks,in 45' of water on the far northend of the lake.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/11/09 01:28 PM

I have caught them in that there 50' hole on the west end of the lake. That is where we ice fish in the winter on Alvarado.

I like my story better!!!!!!!!

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/11/09 02:28 PM

hahahahaha! 50ft hole! hahahaha! What lake are you talking about?!! rolfmao

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/11/09 04:13 PM

As soon as ugotthatcash tells us his secret hole, I'll tell ya'll mine... juggle

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/12/09 02:36 AM

I'll be out there Friday to see what I can find. I will see if I can find that 45' water Cash!!! lmao

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/12/09 03:04 AM

If you put in at the ramp and go approx. 2 miles north you can't miss it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good Luck

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/12/09 05:38 AM

Why would i want to tell you where my hole is?Then it will not be my secret hole anymore.lol But keep fishing it,the lake is small,we spent a year on the lake,fishing every inch,alot of boat gas and hot hours in the sun.You guys stick with it,and we'll get Cleburne figured out in the meantime.lol

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/12/09 01:38 PM

If you put in at the ramp and go approx. 2 miles north you can't miss it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good Luck

OH YEAY, I know where that spot is!!!! I bout ripped my lower end off getting there last time. I don't wan't to try it again!!! LMAO!!!

I will be out somewhere this weekend, but not sure where it will be or what time. So don't any of you punks try stalking me trying to figure out what I'm doing, cuz I'm sure you all have heard that I am the man when it comes to going deep. HAHAHAhahaha ha!!!

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/12/09 08:04 PM

LMAO calm down oldschool!! we don't want you to burst a vessel.lol We won't stalk you,i promise i'll call off the dogs.Oh i forgot to tell you about the servelence camera's we have set in the tree's and dock's,matter of fact i'm watching a jon boat and 1 pontoon boat fish right now via satalite.lol So good luck and remember "I'm watching you".

OH YEAY, I know where that spot is!!!! I bout ripped my lower end off getting there last time. I don't wan't to try it again!!! LMAO!!!

I will be out somewhere this weekend, but not sure where it will be or what time. So don't any of you punks try stalking me trying to figure out what I'm doing, cuz I'm sure you all have heard that I am the man when it comes to going deep. HAHAHAhahaha ha!!!

Posted By: Lannie Robertson

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/14/09 09:39 AM

LMAO,you guys are killin me.That lake is so small,we all know theres only two good hot spots on that little lake.And you can tell where they are,because you have to take a number to get on them.
Posted By: MarcW

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/15/09 04:08 AM

great place! i strongly recommend.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/15/09 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Lannie Robertson
LMAO,you guys are killin me.That lake is so small,we all know theres only two good hot spots on that little lake.And you can tell where they are,because you have to take a number to get on them.
Well you fish those two holes and i'll fish the other 25 holes,and the 50' dropoff at the northend.lol

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/16/09 11:23 PM

The ramp is on Park Lane off of 3136 , the ramp

is very steep , ut is useable , senkoes and flukes

around docks and grass work well also soft plastics

worked slooooooooowly work well

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/17/09 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: hero fisherman

The ramp is on Park Lane off of 3136 , the ramp

is very steep , ut is useable , senkoes and flukes

around docks and grass work well also soft plastics

worked slooooooooowly work well

Yeah i dont think i work my plastics slow enough. Havent had enough time on the water practicing them yet.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/17/09 05:30 PM

Try wacky rigging a Banjo Minnow at the hot water outlet. It's the shizzle!

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/18/09 01:31 AM

The tip of the week for this lake is:A bubblegum(pink) colored 7" Zoom trickworm,rigged on a herdon double proppeled torpedo.Fish it fast as you can,probably use a quantum Code burner reel,that has the 7.0 gear ratio,and a 7'6" medium fast action rod.If you crank it fast enough,the noise will draw the fish to your lure,and the gay fish will bite your pink colored worm.lmao.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/18/09 02:38 PM

The tip of the week for this lake is:A bubblegum(pink) colored 7" Zoom trickworm,rigged on a herdon double proppeled torpedo.Fish it fast as you can,probably use a quantum Code burner reel,that has the 7.0 gear ratio,and a 7'6" medium fast action rod.If you crank it fast enough,the noise will draw the fish to your lure,and the gay fish will bite your pink colored worm.lmao.

YOU WIN!!!!

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/18/09 02:51 PM

Or you can fish a Scum Frog injected with a stick of TNT (red in color). May want to break out the 14' crappie pole for this one; remember "Safety First". Place tip in water to get him headed in the right direction, use Wal Mart's Best mono cuz you know that stuff will snap easy. break out Zippo lighter and send his arss deep. If your frog looks back at you with a smile on the way down you may have picked up the Fag Frog instead of a Scum Frog.

Make sure you get the right kinda' frog!!!!

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/19/09 01:43 AM

We won a tourney i think a few years back that way.But your right all but if the frog winks as he looks back."your in deep cacha".lmao

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/19/09 04:18 PM

Man for such a small lake we got this topic up to five pages! rock ON!!!!!!!

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/19/09 04:21 PM

This one is just to get my post count up. nuts

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/20/09 10:54 AM

LOL believe it or not,last march and april,when i started the wensday night tourneys,and posted the weights of the 9-12 lb fish that was being caught out there.The lake has been getting alot of publicity,not to mention everyone thinking if they show up,they would catch a 10 pounder.lol

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/20/09 01:33 PM

Where is this lake at y'all are talking so much about. I need to get out there and catch me a ten pounder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/21/09 05:44 AM

LOL believe it or not,last march and april,when i started the wensday night tourneys,and posted the weights of the 9-12 lb fish that was being caught out there.The lake has been getting alot of publicity,not to mention everyone thinking if they show up,they would catch a 10 pounder.lol

They don't????

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/25/09 02:37 AM

I use to fish that lake alot,and maybe 1 or 2 times have i been skunked.The lake does get pressure,but they still bite,just not what everybody is throwing.I know of 5 guys that throw jigs,5 guys that throw carolina rigged brush hogs,5 guys cranking the dam,5 guys throwing wacky worms,5 guys throwing drop shot's,and the guys who change there patterns and technique ussually catch them.I have learned alot and try to be versitile,but when they are on everybody catches them,but when they are off,only a few catch them.Lake is so small that the have seen every chigger craw made,every kind of brush hog,every color crank and spinner bait made,and once they have been hooked a few times they learn,so we change up our technique's and pattern and ussually always find keepers,somedays alot of short fish and just one or two keepers,but we find them.So everybody should quit crying on how much pressure the lake gets,and just think of the opprotunity's that was brought to the area.Cleburne,Eagle Mountain,Grapevine,Granbury,almost every lake that holds a bass,will be used as a playing field for the hunter and the hunted.It's a small lake and everybody can catch a good fish,just remember to put him back for a fellow fisherman to have his day,just like you did.
Posted By: MercJP

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/25/09 02:48 AM

Oh for sure. I always catch atleast one. And me living right down the rode i hit it once a week, if not more. And i catch them in a different spot on different baits every week.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/25/09 02:48 PM

That is my home lake and I love it , I usually catch them , usually a senkoe or fluke

works for me but I also crank and worm , and I have a few spots I carolina rig that nearly always produce for me , sometimes keepers sometimes not but I am happy to catch to catch them

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/27/09 07:04 PM

Not sure about what boat hero fisherman fishes out of but I see $BassSlayin'JP$ there all the time. Keep moving, keep changing baits, and keep putting them back for everyone else to enjoy!! And for that 50' deep hole, I've lived here since '72 and it doesn't exsist. 10+ pounders do though!!! Hot pink worms at the dam...HaHaHa.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/28/09 02:27 AM

I fish out of a Champion not a bass slayin JPS

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/28/09 02:33 AM

Hero fishes out of a Champion

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/28/09 03:57 PM

Hero you live here on the lake?

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/29/09 02:38 AM

No I do not live on the lake but I do try to

visit it three to four times a week , I live in

town and am blessed as I get to do something I

love , I am not suppose to be here I had a

brain tumor removed in 95 but the Lord has blessed

me and my sons

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/29/09 02:42 AM

Team Cabelas do you live on Alvarado Lake ?
Posted By: Josh315

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/29/09 08:31 PM

I have been fishing Alvarado for about ten years I still haven't caught my ten pounder yet haha. I went yesterday for a couple hours caught a few on the dam, well my wife did. Just found this post good read. Thats awesome Hero glad your still here doing what you love.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/29/09 08:42 PM

I amm also glad I am here and so proud of my

two sons who live with me they are 14 & 16 and

they both love to fish , their mom left shortly

after my surgery , both can run the boat as well

as load and unload it

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/29/09 10:12 PM

Cool hope to see you out there one day I fish there pretty often haven't had the chance the last two months but I plan on hitting it a couple times a week again.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/29/09 11:19 PM

Josh it would be nice to meet you sometime , what

kind of boat do you fish out of ? And I will

admit to you I am not a fishing hero but a hero

to my boys because of what I went through and

raising them , thats just a screen name

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/30/09 01:53 AM

I have a 1988 champion with a prov150 its not too pretty but it gets the job done.Haha

Re: Alvarado Lake - 11/30/09 12:41 PM

My Champion is a 96 with a 150 Mariner , likewise

mine is not in showroom condition but it does what I

want it to do and that is to let me fish
Posted By: aggie_angler09

Re: Alvarado Lake - 12/01/09 08:23 AM

glad I got on this forum and found this topic. alvarado has been haunting me, but I always fished it on horrible weather days. That lake looks so good and I've seen so much activity just never got into em like I thought I would. I live in Cleburne, so I'll be out there again soon. Thanks for the tips everybody.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 12/01/09 02:08 PM

aggie - I have figured out when the water has been muddy I try to find clean water, but when that fails I go super shallow throwing a big bladed spinnerbait or even a buzzbait. This has helped me out on the days I thought I would get skunked on Alvarado.

If that doesn't work out fish the 60' holes on the west end of the lake with the pink Banjo Minnow. rolfmao

Good luck,
Steve
Posted By: aggie_angler09

Re: Alvarado Lake - 12/01/09 08:23 PM

Hahaha, I might just START with the 60' holes first. Sounds like a damn good strategy. I just hope the depth finder doesn't explode trying to locate em.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 12/02/09 12:53 AM

aggie-angler09,first thing is not to have on,show,or even say the word aggie at the lake.Those fish are all longhorn fans.lmao.That's probably your first haunting from the lake.lolBut on the real,do as uncle funky said,fish slow as possible,the fish will be shallow year round there.Lake is not big enough and the deeper parts are on the west bank with docks as cover.We usually throw jigs and c-rigs(i don't)my partner that is,and finess with wacky worms.And really do good,but always fish the shallow spots to.Remember if it looks like it would hold a fish,believe it it does.Lake has alot of bass in it and structure is abundence and the fish get stacked on it,once you find the tree's in the 15-20' range,your odds of a good fish are good.Meaning the dam drop off,and all the points on the lake have good drop offs,and also try fishing mid-lake west bank boat docks and walls,creek channel runs that way.good luck and let us know how you do.

Re: Alvarado Lake - 12/02/09 02:01 PM

Might take some extra gas just in case you get too far out from shore when your GPS takes a [censored]....

Re: Alvarado Lake - 12/04/09 02:38 AM

That's when i break out the flares.lol
Posted By: PatrickDominick

Re: Alvarado Lake - 05/29/14 01:55 PM

I'm fishing this lake after work today. Anyone hitting any white bass in Alvarado?
Posted By: Glowka

Re: Alvarado Lake - 05/30/14 02:42 AM

Talk about thread re-hash!
Posted By: PhishWhisperer

Re: Alvarado Lake - 05/30/14 02:49 AM

How in the world did this crummy thread ever get so many hits?
Posted By: PatrickDominick

Re: Alvarado Lake - 05/30/14 04:28 AM

Trolled throughout the main lake up and down and around. Caught 1 channel cat. Still a nice evening out in the kayak though smile
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum