Texas Fishing Forum

Punishment for no fishing license question

Posted By: Tex Pat

Punishment for no fishing license question - 08/09/08 12:09 PM

Is the owner/operator of a boat liable in any way for fisherman in the boat without a license? I am always current but I have a buddy who lapses a bit. I remind him to renew and all that, but sometimes we end up in the boat and he takes a risk. If we get checked and he has no license, can I get fined or something?
Posted By: Mudshark

Re: Punishment for no fishing license question - 08/09/08 12:13 PM

You will not get a ticket. There may be a risk of losing some or all of the fish in the boat but I am not sure about that one. My main risk would be coming home with a ticket and hearing to the rash of ^%*% from the wife. I don't risk it.
Posted By: fishinnb

Re: Punishment for no fishing license question - 08/09/08 12:20 PM

just a hassle for you. i remind my buddy of all the money i sink into the boat and that a fishing license doesn't cost that much.

Posted By: David Lee

Re: Punishment for no fishing license question - 08/09/08 01:35 PM

The boat owner will not get a ticket.
Posted By: fishmagnet

Re: Punishment for no fishing license question - 08/09/08 01:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Tex Pat
Is the owner/operator of a boat liable in any way for fisherman in the boat without a license? I am always current but I have a buddy who lapses a bit. I remind him to renew and all that, but sometimes we end up in the boat and he takes a risk. If we get checked and he has no license, can I get fined or something?

The boat owner/operator is not responsible for the irresponsibility of his passengers.

They get the ticket, not you, though the loss of fishing time and embarassment are shared by all!
Posted By: bgibson

Re: Punishment for no fishing license question - 08/09/08 07:00 PM

A couple hundred dollar ticket will do wonders to jog his memory.
Posted By: Tex Pat

Re: Punishment for no fishing license question - 08/09/08 10:47 PM

Thanks guys.
Posted By: Catfish_Hunter

Re: Punishment for no fishing license question - 08/10/08 12:03 AM

Do like I do...tell him he ain't goin' with ya unless he has one.
Posted By: Scott Smith

Re: Punishment for no fishing license question - 08/11/08 01:41 PM

My buddy and I got checked on a river that briefly goes into another state. I was legal in two states but not that one. The water patrol came over and checked our license. Of course neither one of us were legal. It was my buddies boat and he was at the front of the boat throwing a throw net for bait so we could do some catfishing. I never left the wheel as I guided my buddy to the bait. The water patrol said that both of us could get a ticket even though I never touched a fishing pole and never threw the net. He let us off with a warning only because his shift was over and he was headed to the house. So my advice is to not let him touch anything.
Posted By: Lakeguide

Re: Punishment for no fishing license question - 08/11/08 07:17 PM

This Q always comes around this time of year I think. Renewal is at the end of the month and it is a gamble on wheather to buy the one day tag or just go fishing and take your chances. I wish TPDW would make the license year to date, but it makes more sense to the to sell it date to date from an accounting standpoint.

The person with a license will not be ticketed, but limits will be in question.
Posted By: iamquockie

Re: Punishment for no fishing license question - 08/11/08 10:39 PM

Originally Posted By: *Lakeguide*
This Q always comes around this time of year I think. Renewal is at the end of the month and it is a gamble on wheather to buy the one day tag or just go fishing and take your chances. I wish TPDW would make the license year to date, but it makes more sense to the to sell it date to date from an accounting standpoint.

The person with a license will not be ticketed, but limits will be in question.

thats funny.....a couple of my friends do have a one year from purchase date license that they bought from texoma...its for texas....only a couple of dollars more...wouldn't make much sense to buy that license now but hey in june when he bought it , that was the best way to go.
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: Punishment for no fishing license question - 08/12/08 10:30 AM

I think that is just for Texoma which is separate from a TX fishing license and an Oklahoma fishing license.
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Punishment for no fishing license question - 08/12/08 11:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Tex Pat

Your partner's ticket. That said, my guess is if your partner has no license, the GW is going to give your boat the once over to see if he can get you for anything too. Here's a thought....After the 15th of this month, your partner can procure a new license....Why don't you remind him, or better still yet, offer to take him with you when you get your new license....A word to everyone on the TFF....New Licenses are needed on 9/01.....
Posted By: Canino

Re: Punishment for no fishing license question - 08/12/08 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: SkeeterDon
I think that is just for Texoma which is separate from a TX fishing license and an Oklahoma fishing license.

Texas has an all-water year from date license. Just ask for the one that's $45. It runs from the day you buy it until the last day of the month a year later, so it's good for up to 13 months.
Posted By: Baylor_Guy�

Re: Punishment for no fishing license question - 08/12/08 05:56 PM

but you still have to buy a texoma stamp
Posted By: jboato

Re: Punishment for no fishing license question - 08/12/08 09:36 PM

I buy the year from the date, Fresh/Saltwater. Glad I don't have to worry about renewing soon!
Posted By: PaulGrapevine

Re: Punishment for no fishing license question - 08/13/08 11:52 AM

The one year liscense seems like a better deal but it works out more expensive in the long run. You will still have to buy a new liscense next year. The best way to go it just to pay the money every August/September for the resident fishing or super combo and be done with it. Why try to get by now when you need one next year anyways? I agree the calendar is a little silly for fishing. The calendar is set up for hunting season. If you really do just buy a new liscense every August, its not that bad. You do still need a stamp for Texoma as well.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Punishment for no fishing license question - 08/13/08 12:36 PM

You can fish on Texoma without a Texoma license. You just have to have a Texas fishing license and fish on the Texas side (OK lic. and fish OK. side) The border is tricky:)
Posted By: BAND OF BROTHERS

Re: Punishment for no fishing license question - 08/13/08 04:36 PM

How much is the Texoma stamp and can you get them at Wal-mart?
Posted By: Pencil pusher

Re: Punishment for no fishing license question - 08/13/08 04:46 PM

Its not a stamp, it is a separate license. If you are fishing Texoma and have a Texoma license, you don't need either a Texas or Oklahoma license. I don't know if Wal Mart does them or not, I would think it is very likely that Walmarts in the vicinity of Texoma would. Marinas and tackle stores at the lake do have them.
Posted By: PaulGrapevine

Re: Punishment for no fishing license question - 08/14/08 12:00 AM

Pretty sure anywhere with a TP&W machine can sell you one. I think they are $12. Seems like it is liscense type 205. I might be wrong on that though. Someone told me that if you have a Texas and Oklahoma liscense, you don't need one. Most of us don't have an Oklahoma fishing liscense though.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum