Texas Fishing Forum

Trailer wiring help

Posted By: thefuzz

Trailer wiring help - 07/24/18 10:37 AM

Good morning, I have a skeeter XX/225. Trailer was manufactured in 06 and It was blowing the fuse on my truck. I saw the ground connector was bad on the 5 wire trailer side connector. I cut it and went to replace it and realized it had 10 Wires going into it. The new connector has the standard 5. I cannot find another 5 wire like this. I’ve never seen a set up like it. I’ll upload the image shortly
Posted By: DannyMac

Re: Trailer wiring help - 07/24/18 05:28 PM

That is really screwed up! I just re-wired my dual axle trailer with brakes. Also switched out old lights for LEDs. Running lights and nighttime tail lights will be green/brown or just brown on the passenger side and yellow/brown or just brown on the driver side. These two wires plus those from any side running lights are connected together to one brown wire that goes to the connector. Turn and brake lights: green on passenger side and yellow on driver side. These connect to their respective posts on the connector. Ground wire (white or black) needs a good connection to the trailer...no corrosion! Electric brake, blue wires, connect together then one to the connector. Four wires to the connector (no brakes) or five (with brakes). A blown fuse (my Silverado has three...one under the hood and two in the dash panel) means something shorted from one or more 12V feeds (running and tail lights, brake lights, or electric brake) to ground. Connector on truck: If factory wired, look up on the internet. Just make sure the picture shows your view looking at it from the rear. (we got hung up by a picture showing from the front, as though you were wiring the truck to the connector. Lol! We burned the fuses! Bass akwards). With that, connect your trailer wires to the trailer connector appropriate to the truck connector. Long winded but I tried to be thorough.
Posted By: Shadetree

Re: Trailer wiring help - 07/24/18 06:14 PM

From your description sounds like you ahve surge brakes. The 5th wire is back up lights which activates a valve in the brake line so brakes won't apply when backing up. The 5 flat should be available, bg
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Trailer wiring help - 07/24/18 09:43 PM

Did they wire each side of the trailer separately, and make the splices inside the connector?
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Trailer wiring help - 07/24/18 10:52 PM

That's what it sounds like to me.
Posted By: kevine80

Re: Trailer wiring help - 07/25/18 12:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Shadetree
From your description sounds like you ahve surge brakes. The 5th wire is back up lights which activates a valve in the brake line so brakes won't apply when backing up. The 5 flat should be available, bg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this ---i have the same trailer ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: thefuzz

Re: Trailer wiring help - 07/30/18 03:50 AM

Yeah, they did wire it 5 to one side 5 to the other. THe connector had 10 wires. After jacking with this thing for days, I am pulling it all and redoing. Prob solved. Lol, thanks for the help though gents.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum