Texas Fishing Forum

Beating the Heat

Posted By: Phototex

Beating the Heat - 06/01/18 04:07 PM

Back in the day, I could fish all day in this kind of weather with few problems. If it got too bad out there, I'd simply fish at night instead. Now at an advanced age and with my medical issues, I can no longer tolerate the mid-day heat OR fish at night - both are just too hazardous to my health. I fished Tuesday in southeast Texas, but had to stop at 2:30 and head for my car and its AC. I don't want to stop fishing until October or move up north, but short of taking a 4- to 6-hour (air conditioned) lunch break and/or nap during mid-day, I can't think of very many options.

What are you folks' secrets for beating the heat?
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/01/18 04:34 PM

I soak towels in the cooler and throw them over my neck and shoulders
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/01/18 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Phototex
What are you folks' secrets for beating the heat?

Stay out of it. This time of year from 1PM-6PM or 7PM used to be my favorite and best time for catching numbers of BIG fish at Fork. I've had severe heat exhaustion at least five times. Each episode worse than the previous.

I feel your pain, buddy. My system just can't take the midday heat any longer. I'm 58 and in pretty good health.
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/01/18 04:37 PM

Houseboat. Anchor. Set out rods. Go inside and turn on AC.
Posted By: Jake Blood

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/01/18 04:39 PM

I wear a thin cloth hat, like a jungle hat, I often dunk it in the lake and put it back on my head to keep cool... If there is a breeze, that works really well... Also, drink LOTS AND LOTS of water the couple days before and during your trip... That said, I still get on the lake early and off by noon... or I fish in the evening.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/01/18 06:31 PM

Jump in the lake during the day.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/01/18 07:08 PM

Listen to your body(sounds like you are).
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/01/18 07:44 PM

I do like the fish.
I fish shallow early am.
When it gets hot I leave for a cool spot.
Fish do the same.
Posted By: timbertoes

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/01/18 08:34 PM

fishing until 2:30 was pretty good all by itself. smile
Posted By: SoonerDG

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/01/18 09:53 PM

I have the towels made by Frogg Toggs. I have two of them. I soak them in ice water and wrap them around my neck. Then rotate them, one soaking while one is in use. They work pretty good. A large brim hat or even a canopy on your boat could help too.

If I still can't stand it then, like other say, I get out of it.
Posted By: plk1122

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/01/18 10:20 PM

The heat is one reason I got a Bimini top. Its not the best and gets in the way sometimes, but sure beats getting baked and allows me to out last the heat longer.
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/01/18 11:43 PM

Yup
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/01/18 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By: plk1122
The heat is one reason I got a Bimini top. Its not the best and gets in the way sometimes, but sure beats getting baked and allows me to out last the heat longer.

Shade is king this time of year. I hated putting a t top on my boat, and cuss it during the cool weather, but it is nice right now.
Posted By: Peepaw on Fork

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/02/18 12:53 AM

Get under a bridge
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/02/18 01:09 AM

It's just something you have to deal with as you get older. I used to be able to work 60 hours a week in the sun, go out Friday night to the club until closing time and get up before the sun to go fishing on Saturday. NOT ANYMORE!

Those cool towels are great. Get 2 or 3 of them, soak them in water and throw them (in their plastic containers)in your cooler. They work wonders. We've even got one of those water misting fans.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/02/18 01:09 PM

Make sure you are well hydrated. That means drinking water the day and evening BEFORE fishing.
Use the cooling towels...keep 2 and rotate in cool to cold water. Use ice water with caution.
Wear a wide brimmed hat to keep the sun off your head and neck.
Wear light, loose fitting clothing that allow you to perspire and evaporate. DO NOT wet them down. This only slows perspiration and evaporation...the body's natural cooling system.

When it becomes uncomfortable, go in and cool down. Age and your physical health has a lot to do with how long you can stay out. Fishing is supposed to be fun and relaxing...keep it that way.

Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/02/18 01:13 PM

All of the above are such great steps to take to help with the heat of the day. I also add Elete to my water bottles. This is the best hydration water additive there is. No more leg cramps at night. Nothing in this product that will off set your medications. No sugar and low sodium. I highly recommend you try it and have samples I can send out. I just need the postage for you to try it. I make no money on the product; but can save you the higher postage from ordering straight from the factory Website that is in my signature. You can read about ELETE by clicking on the link.

Thanks,
Donald
Posted By: Bob Landry

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/02/18 04:17 PM

The sports drinks that replace electrolytes also help. What most people don't know is that they don't kick in until a couple of hours after you drink them, so start before you get on the water.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/02/18 06:09 PM

Yea, I just started night fishing, nice and cool , relatively speaking, no heatstroke to deal with, the wind usually lays at night...and no party craft to worry with...just mostly have the lake to yourself.
Posted By: getzitfisher

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/03/18 02:06 AM

I go out about 6am, fish until maybe 10am. Go home, take a nap, eat lunch, drink plenty of water. Go back out about 6pm and fish until dark. It helps that I live less than a mile from a boat ramp.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/03/18 02:39 AM

I am older as well and have similar issues. My days of walking up Ozark streams in 90 degree heat all day are over. It's all boat and lake.

Here are the things I do to keep cool:

1. Fish late in the evening and into the night.
2. Fish in shady open slips. The ones for big boats without a lift are what you are looking for.
3. Stay hydrated. Water alone won't cut it for me. I use watermelon. I'll usually have a big container of cut up watermelon heart in my cooler.
4. If I start out when the sun is still up I take the boat to the swim beach and get wet first. PK is a nice lake for this, as the water is clear. Downside is this makes you a target for biting flies.
Posted By: UJC

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/03/18 11:03 PM

Bimini top hands down. I put a B top on my bass boat for the gkids 6 years ago. I removed it for Fall and Winter. About 3 years ago, I started leaving it on the boat permanently. It makes a huge difference. When going from A to B it is a cooler ride. If fishing and a slight breeze or more, the tunnel effect makes it cooler in the sun. The gkids are not kids anymore but I leave it on. Those that fish with me will first snub their nose, to only to brag later about the top. If getting too hot, just get under it and cool off. Depending on the type of fishing, i.e., a brush pile, it can be fished under the top depending if you have the patience to argue with the bimin's poles and sun angle.

I paid $109 for it six years ago. It is aging well and this may be its last season but for less than $20 a year it has been well worth it. I also use a wide brim had from 'Sunday'. I forget if that is the hat model or brand name. When going from A to B, I place my ball cap (LSU of course) under it to keep the brim from obstructing my view. It has a neck flap too. My ears and nape never get sun burned. It is endearingly ugly. LOLs.

I fish all day and I am in my 7th decade. I stay hydrated like others have pointed out. My choice of refreshment is a little different but to each his or her own.

Recently I have noticed wearing shirts made specifically for fishing in the heat are a big improvement over T-shirts.
Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/03/18 11:09 PM

Lots of excellent advice here, I'm not old by any means but I'm also not a fan of cooking alive in the Texas heat! A nice shady spot works wonders, I'm always surprised at the temperature difference under a tree and under the sun.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/04/18 01:49 AM

Yes, I agree...that deal about wearing cool clothing and jumping in the lake, along with that wide brim hat...makes fishing tolerable in the heat...oh yea, if you are in a boat alone, make sure you beach it before or tie off a rope to you before jumping out or be prepared for a long swim! Ask me how I know! roflmao
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/04/18 12:15 PM

I rigged this up for the wife....works good.

Posted By: karstopo

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/04/18 12:47 PM

I too like to bring along a zip bag full of ice down cut watermelon or mango. Munching on big slices of that cold fruit really takes the edge off the heat. Any kind of shade helps. I’ve put bags of ice under my hat or on the back of my neck to cool down. Wading or swimming helps, but that’s not a good idea in some waters. I try to be well hydrated before a hot day of fishing. I also try to avoid all day fishing marathons in the heat. A few hours out usually scratches the itch.
Posted By: COFF

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/04/18 03:40 PM

Invest $25 in a LONG SLEEVE Magellan fishing shirt from Academy. Lots of other options that are just as good, but most cost way more money. The thin loose fitting material makes its own shade and still allows air movement. You'd be surprised how much cooler it keeps you when in direct sunlight. And get a wide brimmed hat.

Also, freeze a few bottles of water and put them in your ice chest. They help keep your ice longer, and when they start to melt you can drink them and have the best most refreshing coldest water ever.
Posted By: K. Kidd

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/04/18 06:27 PM

My dad would always stick his wrist down in the water for a few minutes. He always said it worked.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/05/18 03:13 PM

I fish until it gets too hot then I move to the bridges and fish there. Even if I decide to tie off and fish for crappie or take a nap I am fine. Then when it cools down i move back out. Otherwise take a long break at a marina store or restaurant with a/c.
Posted By: Buff2

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/06/18 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: bush hog

I built 2 of those for our boat. You can turn them out of your way and still have some shade. They make a heck of a difference
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/07/18 01:14 PM

long sleeves, long pants, with light colors both made from dry wicking material. Hat covering head and ears, and umbrella, plenty of cold water, I can fish all day...One in the front, and one in the back..

Posted By: sw53

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/07/18 02:01 PM

what type of life jacket is that your wearing?
Posted By: Seymour Bass

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/07/18 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Buff2
Originally Posted By: bush hog

I built 2 of those for our boat. You can turn them out of your way and still have some shade. They make a heck of a difference

A friend of mine made a portable misting system with a 12v pump and fan to his pontoon boat bimini top and an oversized umbrella on the front deck with mister. It drops the the temp down at least 20 degrees when the humidity is less than 30%. Similar to this but homemade and half the price.

http://www.mist-er-comfort.com/marine-misting-systems-2/
Posted By: retdbasser

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/07/18 09:09 PM

Jim Sr. What brand and where did you get the dry wicking light weight pants?

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/07/18 09:17 PM

Those are $25 at Dicks, made by Reebok,

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/07/18 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: sw53
what type of life jacket is that your wearing?

Cabelas Auto Inflating..
Posted By: Bilboinsa

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/08/18 12:41 PM

The heat has definitely been turned on in South Texas. Shade onboard is a given, not only for the heat, but obviously for the sun exposure. Long sleeve loose shirts and pants and wide brinmed hat that enjoys getting wet. A bimini is as important to me as a FF or power steering. It has now gotten so hot that I will get all my lines in and jump in for a ten minute soak. Actually blessed to be able to do that nowadays!
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/08/18 08:47 PM

I use a great Hydration product to put a few drops in my water bottles. It has really helped with the leg cramps that use old guys get at night after a hot day on the water. Check it out in my signature and mention my name for a discount if you order some. It has no sugar like the sports drinks; just all the things you need and nothing you don't.
Posted By: Paparon

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/08/18 09:07 PM

Lots of good advice here. Don't think I saw anything about sunscreen, which doesn't exactly help with the heat, but sure will help the skin. I'm 63 and I pretty much just fish daylight till around noon or before. If I stay longer than noon it's because it's a really nice day, I'm on a really nice lake, and I'm catching instead of fishing! At this point in my fishing life, it doesn't bother me a bit to quit early, get home, take a shower, relax and update my file on how many fish I caught banana, or didn't catch hammer that day!

Happy fishing to you Phototex! cheers
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/09/18 10:08 PM

I want to thank each of you for your responses. Some really good ideas here. Some I already do, and some I shall do in the future. Stay cool, y'all, and tight lines.

Tom
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Beating the Heat - 06/11/18 04:17 AM

It doesn't BEAT the heat, but remember to keep hydrated. Drink lots of water or gatoraide or something. I find it helpful to drink tomato juice with salt in it. It is not beating the heat, but it sure helps in the end when you do not get cramps. Use plenty of SPF sunscreen, too. When it got too hot when it was 110 in Dallas, we used to jump in the water while fishing. That would cool you off for a little while. I am coming down in early July to guide some guys on lake Lewisville and I am planning on taking more fluids than something to eat. You better EAT something, too, I know it doesn't feel like it, but while you are sweating, you are also loosing proteins, as well. So make sure to hydrate and eat something, or plan on going early and late. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum