Texas Fishing Forum

Bank Fishing Elephant Butte Reservoir (New Mexico)

Posted By: TXfisherman12

Bank Fishing Elephant Butte Reservoir (New Mexico) - 04/01/18 03:03 PM

I will be in El Paso, TX for business the first part of next week. I am planning to drive up to Elephant Butte Reservoir in New Mexico to try out some bank fishing. I have never fished in that area, so can anyone point me in the right direction for bank fishing? Also any good spots along the Rio Grande River? Not asking for anyone's honey hole but just a little guidance. I am most interested in catching bass (white, black) and panfish.
Posted By: karpbuster

Re: Bank Fishing Elephant Butte Reservoir (New Mexico) - 04/01/18 06:20 PM

Since you are coming from El Paso, I would try Caballo, the river then, Elephant Butte. Lots of white bass, so your best bet. The fishing reports for the Butte has the temp 53-57 and green water good for white bass, so I would go past Rock Canyon and park near Long Point and fish along that area, usually good for white bass and stripers are possible. Not much water shed this year and they are pulling 1,220 cfs from the Butte. I would stop at Caballo and fish there to see what is up. I like to cross the dam and park on the left past the dam and walk over the hill to the cove (Apache?). If not promising, then you can try the river along the way heading to the Butte. Fishing is picking up. Be careful of getting stuck in the blow sand, literally everywhere at the Butte and Caballo. So stay on the payment if you are in a car. Good Luck!

Re: Bank Fishing Elephant Butte Reservoir (New Mexico) - 04/01/18 07:37 PM

Thanks karpbuster!
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Bank Fishing Elephant Butte Reservoir (New Mexico) - 04/02/18 09:42 PM

I can attest to stay on the pavement, even if you have 4wd.
Posted By: Phototex

Re: Bank Fishing Elephant Butte Reservoir (New Mexico) - 04/11/18 01:50 AM

If the lake level is up in the bushes, you can drive to the "Catfish Camp" off I25 not far south of Socorro. I can't remember the mupstream as far back in the sloughs/creeks as you can get, but do watch out for rattlesnakes and cottonmouths. Tough fishing from the bank, but it can be done. I caught many over 7 in that area, right under my TM in less than 3 feet of water. Black jib & pork split tail eel worked best back then (mid-80s). If water is not high, I'm lost at the Butte.
Posted By: Fishcharmer

Re: Bank Fishing Elephant Butte Reservoir (New Mexico) - 04/11/18 08:12 PM

It's been a few years but slow roll a white spinnerbait around the bushes close to the bank near the Narrows on the west side and cast a Texas Rig tube..
Posted By: Capcom

Re: Bank Fishing Elephant Butte Reservoir (New Mexico) - 05/08/18 01:45 AM

So how was the fishing at Elephant Butte, learned to fish on that lake back when the town was called Hot Springs, a lot of great memories with my grandfather. Have not been back there in thirty years or more.

Re: Bank Fishing Elephant Butte Reservoir (New Mexico) - 03/06/19 12:37 AM

Sorry for the very belated post. Last April (2018) I fished mainly at the spillway at of Caballo lake in the state park. Caught a ton of very small white bass a couple of crappie and 2 small walleye. I fished the river in Truth or Consequences and was surprised with no luck even though there are some nice looking holes. I drove down to the point Karpbuster mentioned but lake was too shallow and I did not feel like wading. I can see that the sand is deceiving and it wouldn’t take much to get stuck fortunately I didn’t drive too far down - so thank you for the advice. If all goes well I plan to fish similar spots next Thursday. I will try and post sometime soon after. In the meantime if anyone has any tips on bank fishing the rio grande in these spots I am open to suggestions cool

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum