Texas Fishing Forum

Choke Canyon South Shore Ramp

Posted By: fish123

Choke Canyon South Shore Ramp - 03/09/18 08:52 PM

I have not been to Choke since the water has been so low. Is anyone launching at the south shore ramp? I spoke on the phone to someone at the park and they said only small boats can launch there. I am not sure what she meant by that. I have a 18ft bass boat. Is it really too shallow to launch? Or is it just too shallow to jump on a plane near the ramp?
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Choke Canyon South Shore Ramp - 03/10/18 12:06 AM

The end of the ramp is out of water. Take a look at Google earth.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Choke Canyon South Shore Ramp - 03/10/18 03:19 AM

They were supposed to be fixing the ramp, doubt it’s happening though. Last time I was there they had barricades across the ramp, I figured nobody was allowed to use the ramp.
Posted By: Wes H

Re: Choke Canyon South Shore Ramp - 03/10/18 05:14 AM

I met a guy at calliham a week ago who had just come from there and said he was unable to launch with his bass boat.
Posted By: R.Baker

Re: Choke Canyon South Shore Ramp - 03/10/18 06:55 PM

I was there last weekend, save yourself the hassle and just go to Calliham.
Posted By: Txbassin

Re: Choke Canyon South Shore Ramp - 03/12/18 11:35 PM

They spent a ton of our money fixing the ramp. All that was needed was the years of silt to removed,last time i asked,the folks at Calliham unit said they had no plans to remove the silt because it would just come back. I say BS.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: Choke Canyon South Shore Ramp - 03/12/18 11:44 PM

This would be a great time to extend the ramp like they did at Cassels Boykin park on Sam Rayburn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhluNmdeP3s

Re: Choke Canyon South Shore Ramp - 03/13/18 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Txbassin
They spent a ton of our money fixing the ramp. All that was needed was the years of silt to removed,last time i asked,the folks at Calliham unit said they had no plans to remove the silt because it would just come back. I say BS.

From what I understood, the sand under the ramp had washed out.

Re: Choke Canyon South Shore Ramp - 03/14/18 02:39 AM

Yes the sand washed out from under the ramp and caused it to collapse. These pictures are from a few weeks back.
Remember when choke opened? I think the level was lower than it is now and we used this ramp.
I used it on opening day.I think it was in the spring of 1987.

Re: Choke Canyon South Shore Ramp - 03/14/18 03:13 AM

Thanks for the pics!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Choke Canyon South Shore Ramp - 03/14/18 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Txbassin

Yes the sand washed out from under the ramp and caused it to collapse. These pictures are from a few weeks back.
Remember when choke opened? I think the level was lower than it is now and we used this ramp.
I used it on opening day.I think it was in the spring of 1987.

So these are current water level from south shores. Are they allowing people to launch there? Seems like 4x4 would be no problem, pretty much what mason point looked like a few years ago. We stuck a 2wd duramax on it but a 4x4 1/2 ton did perfectly fine the next day.

Thanks for the information, so is it like a launch at your own risk? or they still wont let you? or?
Posted By: RudyDep

Re: Choke Canyon South Shore Ramp - 03/14/18 01:57 PM

BUT, is anyone catching fish? Size? Numbers?...

Re: Choke Canyon South Shore Ramp - 03/15/18 11:08 PM

Launch at your own risk!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum