Texas Fishing Forum

? "Best-for-Me" Fish Finder?

Posted By: DCmac

? "Best-for-Me" Fish Finder? - 02/27/18 06:06 PM

I beg forgiveness, consider me a rank novice. I don't know enough about them, unfamiliar (and confused) with all the terminology &c. I also don't know enough to have much idea of what it is I don't know and what all the questions are that I should be asking.

This time it's me asking this familiar question. What's the "best" fish finder for me to buy. If the cost is under $1,000 The Boss approves (no need to consider taking my mancard away - see aside, below). What I have now is a crappy intermittent Lowrance(?) that if they still made it I could probably buy it off the shelf for no more than $50.

I don't put any amount of trust in the sales people. So far I haven't talked to one who seems to really-really know fish/depth finders. I've got a whole lot more faith in TFFers, there's more knowledge & experience there than I'll ever be able to fully grasp.

I want (need!) the best imaging I can get for the cost.

Must be intuitive to use - I'm kind of a Neanderthal, I had problems getting by when the world was analog. In this digital age I sometimes struggle with my flip phone.

Lake map contours would be real nice to have. GPS or topical map feature not really needed as I don't see myself ever going anywhere where I won't be able to find my way around without GPS.

(Aside. One of these days I'm going to get custom-embroidered jackets made. Mine will say, in fancy script-like lettering, Captain, Commander, Lord & Master. Hers, in big bold block lettering, The Boss. Married guys get it.)
Posted By: jbobo

Re: ? "Best-for-Me" Fish Finder? - 02/27/18 06:26 PM

If you were local I would say go to Boris marine in lake worth or David Goodson at shut up and fish. Either are very knowledgeable and straight up guys. You can call David at ‭+1 (972) 822-9285‬
Or Donald at Boris at ‭(817) 624-3932‬. Explain your type of fishing and boat and thay can help.
I personally like humminbird helix units with a navionics platinum or premium map card.
Posted By: jbobo

Re: ? "Best-for-Me" Fish Finder? - 02/27/18 06:29 PM

(817) 624-3932 Boris marine
+1 (972) 822-9285 David Goodson
Don’t know what happened to them in my reply. Sorry
Posted By: Corey Stanley

Re: ? "Best-for-Me" Fish Finder? - 02/27/18 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: jbobo
If you were local I would say go to Boris marine in lake worth or David Goodson at shut up and fish. Either are very knowledgeable and straight up guys. You can call David at ‭+1 (972) 822-9285‬
Or Donald at Boris at ‭(817) 624-3932‬. Explain your type of fishing and boat and thay can help.
I personally like humminbird helix units with a navionics platinum or premium map card.

I completely agree, the Helix units are great units and can be the easiest, most user friendly units I have ever owned. Simplay find the most common pages that you use and set them to the three favorites buttons and go fishing. Pair that with either a Navionics Platinum or a Navionics+ Regions card and that makes a pretty awesome setup.
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: ? "Best-for-Me" Fish Finder? - 02/28/18 01:42 AM

Call me and let's talk. Once I know something about things, I will give ya some input. I have worked a lot with all the major brands. PM me a number or message me and I will give you my number.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum