Texas Fishing Forum

Possum Kingdom guide services

Posted By: tcmitch25

Possum Kingdom guide services - 02/05/18 08:24 PM

I've seen a lot of great guides post on here but can't find the names and contact information of them at the moment. A buddy and I would like to take a trip sometime this spring for stripers, possibly second week in March due to spring break and us both being in education. I know there are tons of great guides, but would love to have one who is great at teaching techniques to other fisherman when given the chance.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Kerry Dugan

Re: Possum Kingdom guide services - 02/06/18 03:29 PM

Randy Wood 817-999-1922

Mike Acosta 817-578-0023

Casey Armstrong 940-659-8106

Anyone of these listed above are great guides. Have worked with them for several years. There are a few more, but I do not have their info.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Possum Kingdom guide services - 02/06/18 05:18 PM

You are smart to get a guide. Fishing at PK can be great or horrible and all on the same day. If you can't find the fish you can't catch them. The guides spend a lot of time making sure they know where those stripers are in that 65 mile long lake.

Good Luck.
Posted By: Joe Todd

Re: Possum Kingdom guide services - 02/11/18 01:50 AM

Originally Posted By: tcmitch25
I've seen a lot of great guides post on here but can't find the names and contact information of them at the moment. A buddy and I would like to take a trip sometime this spring for stripers, possibly second week in March due to spring break and us both being in education. I know there are tons of great guides, but would love to have one who is great at teaching techniques to other fisherman when given the chance.

Thanks in advance.
The ones Kerry listed are all capable guides. Jeff Bobo is another (817-253-5549). If you are interested in a night trip then look back on some posts marked "PK Night Trip". It is an experience you will never forget.

Under The Stars Guide Service: 940-631-2036
Posted By: JJHunts

Re: Possum Kingdom guide services - 02/16/18 06:32 PM

I know Mike Lambert of Muddy Water Outfitters is on them good right now. Big ones! He runs a big waterfowl operation in the winter and does trips on PK through the spring. Great guy and good fisherman you would enjoy a day with him!

940-781-3129
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Possum Kingdom guide services - 02/16/18 07:37 PM

If you want to catch trees that are underwater 40ft I'm your guide.
If not, well then you better follow Kerry's direction.
Posted By: over the hill @PK

Re: Possum Kingdom guide services - 02/22/18 04:41 PM

I hope the alge bloom spreads no futher than it has
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Possum Kingdom guide services - 02/22/18 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Butch @PK

Is there evidence of GA this year? I know the conditions have been right for it.
Posted By: Titleist77

Re: Possum Kingdom guide services - 02/22/18 06:39 PM

I need to book a striper trip on pk. Ive never been and wondering what type of gear is needed or is it supplied?
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Possum Kingdom guide services - 02/22/18 10:26 PM

Originally Posted By: TCK73
Originally Posted By: Butch @PK

Is there evidence of GA this year? I know the conditions have been right for it.

Looked it up on TPWD website. They checked it in December and found none at the dam and minimal amounts at elm Creek. Stated not enough to be harmful to aquatic species. I didn’t see were there had been further testing this year yet.

Re: Possum Kingdom guide services - 02/22/18 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Titleist77
I need to book a striper trip on pk. Ive never been and wondering what type of gear is needed or is it supplied?

Most of us supply tackle and clean your fish. If you have a special rod/reel you like you can bring it. We try not to laugh if it is a snoopy rod or a surf rod though.
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Possum Kingdom guide services - 02/24/18 04:31 PM

Don't know why they can't get off their rears and up date, bloom from willow beach and sandy beach. tried calling with no answer to see how strong it is. fish

Re: Possum Kingdom guide services - 02/25/18 03:24 PM

All that fresh water coming in might dilute it or better yet send it down river

Re: Possum Kingdom guide services - 02/25/18 05:45 PM

I didn’t see any ga last night just 45 stripers. North shore, peanut patch, elm creek, cedar creek, broadway just south of sandy beach. .

Re: Possum Kingdom guide services - 02/25/18 05:56 PM

Sounds like an awesome night Bobo banana

Re: Possum Kingdom guide services - 02/25/18 07:06 PM

It was. I finally fished with someone who truly can hang longer than me. He outfished me 2 to 1 and I had to say uncle before he would quit at 3:00 am. bow_down
Posted By: RANDY WOOD

Re: Possum Kingdom guide services - 02/27/18 04:35 PM

There is a bloom. I noticed one small drum and a gizzard shad floundering on top in the dock lights of Willow Beach several weeks ago. I wasn’t sure then if was cold water or GA.
I been around PK for all the alga blooms.
It’s really hard to tell just how bad the kill is. Birds and pelicans clean up most of the shad and juvenile fish kill before anyone sees it.
Big fish may not float until gas develops in there stomach.
I have not seen any dead large fish floating.
I fished Sunday with my son. Started late and quit early but still caught fish. Fish from patch to up around Cado acted pretty normal.
The rain and fresh water input helps dilute the toxin. The clouds stunt the green alga which controls GA.
What we need is a bunch of sunshine to boost the green alga in the lake.
So I guess what I am trying to say is don’t panic yet.
Myself and several others should be all over the lake this weekend. I’ll ask others what they see and report back.

Re: Possum Kingdom guide services - 02/27/18 08:07 PM

Thanks for that report Randy. Whats the water temps looking like? The TPWD page says 51-59 but that can't be right.

Re: Possum Kingdom guide services - 02/28/18 12:12 AM

I remember seeing 52-54 Sunday. Pretty chilly

Re: Possum Kingdom guide services - 02/28/18 01:20 AM

Sunday evening water temp was 51 degrees. Monday 3:30 am water was 47 degrees midlake.

Re: Possum Kingdom guide services - 03/01/18 01:08 AM

Casy Armstrong just texted that water was tested again today and no toxic water was found. Not sure who tested it and how. Didn’t ask. Over & out
Posted By: JayInNRH

Re: Possum Kingdom guide services - 03/01/18 03:58 AM

I talked to the Inland Fisheries District out of Wichita Falls. They cover the lake. They tested Monday and Today. Not sure exactly where Monday, but it was up North. Today's test was in Scenic. All clear for Golden Algea.

Re: Possum Kingdom guide services - 03/01/18 03:13 PM

Thanks randy. Might be a couple of weeks before things get warm enough for me to do much good fishing. Besides, I bet the brazos is pumping muddy water in the lake. Just hope it's contained north of the peninsula.

Re: Possum Kingdom guide services - 03/02/18 01:03 AM

The Brazos is barely flowing if it even is. I crossed it at South Bend Monday and it was pretty stagnant. Hardly any rain has fallen since.

Re: Possum Kingdom guide services - 03/02/18 03:22 PM

That is surprising. When I crossed Keechi Creek on Hwy 4 from jacksboro to Graford keechi was rolling hard and muddy. Neely Slough is stained and the lower area of my garden is partially washed away. Looks like PK got a toad strangler but maybe Brozos upstream didn't see that
Posted By: krazy kris

Re: Possum Kingdom guide services - 03/04/18 05:14 AM

I live across the road from the Brazos a few bends up the river from pk (heron bend) I've noticed quite a few dead shad, blue Gill, and gar.
Posted By: Titleist77

Re: Possum Kingdom guide services - 03/23/18 02:28 PM

Which guide is recommended for just catching striper and release them? Just want to catch some for fun(preferably large ones..lol). Also, a guide that doesn't mind the possibility of me bringing some big swimbaits to throw a little?

Re: Possum Kingdom guide services - 03/24/18 01:39 PM

Most of us do a lot of catch and release when we are scouting. I don’t mind at all when clients prefer not to keep fish as long as the fish aren’t hooked deep with the possibility of them dying. I don’t mind clients chunking and winding either if there are only 2 clients and me on the boat. When there are several people flinging trebles around I usually will get hooked so I prefer just bait or slab fishing. Give me a call if you decide you want to go.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum