Texas Fishing Forum

Help Locating Grab Post for Trailer Steps

Posted By: jcastleman

Help Locating Grab Post for Trailer Steps - 01/18/18 11:56 PM

I am looking for a solution to the step system on the new Skeeter trailers. I know that there are several reputable step manufacturers out there: Easy-Step, Trick-Step, Ezee-Step, etc.... What I am looking for is a grab handle to work in conjunction with the factory supplied steps already on the 2018 FX 21LE trailers. While they are fairly easy to use getting into the boat, the step down from the deck to exit is a pretty good one for my father when he fishes with me. He owns a 2017 Skeeter ZX 225 and has the same issue with his boat.

If anyone on here knows of a company or individual that makes solely a grab handle with a clean finish on it to closely match the coating on the trailer, it would be greatly appreciated if you could point me in the right direction.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Help Locating Grab Post for Trailer Steps - 01/19/18 04:35 AM

Look up a member by the name of bluebonnet2. He just moved to Mexico but had one fabricated by a guy before he moved. I believe he told me it was in Marshall. It’s the nicest I’ve seen for just a handle.

Edit: I found the post but the pics were photobucket. They don’t show up any longer. here is his profile. Shoot him a PM.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/users/26038

Re: Help Locating Grab Post for Trailer Steps - 01/19/18 05:54 AM

I found the pics on bass boat central. They still worked over there. Scroll down this post and you will see the handle. Couple of good shots of it

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=748073&page=2

He mentions the shop in that thread. Said it’s called YouBrokeWhat welding service in Waskom TX.

Re: Help Locating Grab Post for Trailer Steps - 01/19/18 12:15 PM

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I can't see the photo on either site. However I do have the info to contact bluebonnet now and a place to start. I will contact him and see if he can shoot me a pic of his setup. I have an idea of how to build one, just need someone locally that can weld aluminum. His setup may be better suited than my idea so I am definitely open to checking it out. Thanks again!
Posted By: gdeloach

Re: Help Locating Grab Post for Trailer Steps - 01/22/18 01:57 PM

Here is a copy of the image he posted

Re: Help Locating Grab Post for Trailer Steps - 01/22/18 04:01 PM

Yes. That’s one of two pics he post
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: Help Locating Grab Post for Trailer Steps - 01/22/18 11:38 PM

You might give Custom Marine Concepts in Spring, TX a call. The do a lot of custom fab work for bay boats. I know it is a bit of a haul for you but they are pretty dang good at what they do.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Help Locating Grab Post for Trailer Steps - 01/24/18 11:45 PM

I like gdloach’s concept.

Re: Help Locating Grab Post for Trailer Steps - 01/25/18 02:23 AM

Thanks for all the feedback. I have designed a solution for what I need and will be getting the parts in soon. After I get all the cuts made this weekend I will bring the parts to a shop that welds aluminum next week. Hope fully it comes out like I have it pictured in my head. Once I get it put on, I will post pics of it for any other Skeeter owners that may be interested.

Re: Help Locating Grab Post for Trailer Steps - 02/11/18 08:57 PM

Update on grab post.
Thanks to all of the responses I got on this issue. This is what I came up with. Made of aluminum and bolted on. Tried using a roll on bedliner but it really didn't work so I removed it. Will have to do a little more looking and try again on the coating.

Re: Help Locating Grab Post for Trailer Steps - 02/11/18 09:24 PM

With Skeeter building their own trailers that looks like a simple modification we may see in the future.

Good job.

Re: Help Locating Grab Post for Trailer Steps - 02/11/18 09:36 PM

That would be nice to see in the future. It really needs a bigger gusset in order to give it a little more stability. But, it gives me somewhere to catch my balance as I take the long step out and down to keep me from falling. As long as I don't use it to pull myself up it should work just fine for my needs. Now my dad and one of his coworkers want one.
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: Help Locating Grab Post for Trailer Steps - 02/12/18 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: jcastleman
Update on grab post.
Thanks to all of the responses I got on this issue. This is what I came up with. Made of aluminum and bolted on. Tried using a roll on bedliner but it really didn't work so I removed it. Will have to do a little more looking and try again on the coating.

That looks pretty sharp. A couple of comments, you might want to add some fender washers to the top as well. One of the guys with a trick step put heat shrink tube on his vertical post, it might have been from Accu-Cull.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum