Texas Fishing Forum

Trout lures ?

Posted By: sae

Trout lures ? - 11/09/17 04:27 PM

Trying to get a headstart. What lures or flies do you like for stocker trout?.Thank's
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Trout lures ? - 11/09/17 06:25 PM

Super Duper 502 in brass with a red stripe on Berkley Trilene XL 4 pound clear blue line.
Academy will sell out and won't restock until spring.
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Trout lures ? - 11/09/17 06:31 PM

You can have all these for $30
Posted By: LearnedHat

Re: Trout lures ? - 11/09/17 06:41 PM

absent the #18 treble hook, it always looks like you could fashion a trout lure out of the stuff in your office or kitchen junk drawer.
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Trout lures ? - 11/09/17 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Smurfs

That pile will be worth $60 in the middle of January.

Re: Trout lures ? - 11/11/17 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By: PowerLizard

Yes!
Posted By: Roller22

Re: Trout lures ? - 11/12/17 02:58 PM

Panther Martin
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Trout lures ? - 11/12/17 07:16 PM

Little Cleo
Posted By: pavlaugh

Re: Trout lures ? - 11/12/17 08:41 PM

I've bought my fair share of $5 and $6 super dupers online over the years during peak season (because yes, Academy sells out and doesn't restock). $30 for those is a great deal for anyone using lures.

I've had better luck on power bait, but I still throw a super duper sometimes.

Re: Trout lures ? - 11/12/17 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: PowerLizard

SOLD!
Posted By: tuglyfe

Re: Trout lures ? - 11/28/17 11:40 PM

Rooster tails can be effective and deadly.
Posted By: gar1970

Re: Trout lures ? - 11/29/17 02:30 AM

Canned sweet corn

Re: Trout lures ? - 11/29/17 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By: gar1970
Canned sweet corn

will kill the ones you dont catch, dont chum!
Posted By: tuglyfe

Re: Trout lures ? - 12/02/17 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: gar1970
Canned sweet corn

will kill the ones you dont catch, dont chum!

I would err on the side of caution and agree with you...but..I mean...I haven't found any actual studies about this. Just a bunch of people saying they can't digest it, etc. I'm personally a fly angler, so, this has never been an option. I would discourage the use of it, but I have yet to actually see any evidence over the years. Maybe someone can shed some light on this, because it would be interesting to see actual studies done on it. I know Utah banned it for a while, but I believe they legalized it, again, in 2016, because they didn't have any real grounds/evidence to prove it was bad....but...IDK...

-tug
Posted By: Tallgrass05

Re: Trout lures ? - 12/02/17 11:16 PM

1/8 oz Rooster Tails, fished slowly. I like single hooks with the barb mashed down. Berkley Power Bait or corn under a bobber.

Posted By: skeeterK

Re: Trout lures ? - 12/05/17 09:29 PM

This in #12 works for me. Although I do get some funny looks from the corn slingers.

Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Trout lures ? - 12/06/17 02:07 AM

Joes flies. Inline spinner with fly and small treble trailer. I use 2 or 3 BB split shots to cast them and get them down. Probably can't find around here. I have a friend in "west by god" Virginia that sends them to me. If he can't buy he makes his own. I have brass and nickel blades un different sizes. Deadly on brownies but not many brownies around here. One day the trout were finicky on the Lower Fork and I slayed them on the Joe's flies.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Trout lures ? - 12/08/17 02:33 AM

TPWD : Trout Fishing Tips lists baits to use & whole kernel corn is one of the suggestions for bait. Chumming probably wouldn't be smart as you are missing bites when it's not on a hook. They suggest small hooks with a piece of corn as one method to catch. They aren't worried too much about survival because only a couple of locations that they can possibly survive from one year to the next. Its a put & take resource for the public.
Posted By: Jarek

Re: Trout lures ? - 12/12/17 05:50 PM

Small Japanese twitchbaits like Smith D-Contact or Smith D-Incite are killers for all kind of trouts
Posted By: Fish AKA Jerry

Re: Trout lures ? - 12/12/17 08:59 PM

Jigs ! 1/32 oz. on two pound test with micro-spin rods. Black and yellow marabou are my favorite. Trust me on this one.
Posted By: Canino

Re: Trout lures ? - 12/12/17 09:20 PM

Those stockers might chase something moving just to keep another fish from getting it first, but they've been fed pellets and that's what they're used to - something small, round and mostly immobile.

Try a small lead weight 12-18 inches up the line, a piece of foam or small float a couple of inches above the hook, and a very small hook with 2 powerbaits. That rig will suspend the baits up off the bottom.

I've tried using just the float and hanging the baits in the same zone but they wouldn't touch it - I think because the float on the surface scares them off or causes the bait to move too much.

I've tried and tried, and never had any luck on these little Texas stockers using anything moving.
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Trout lures ? - 12/19/17 03:52 AM

Hook at top with weight below! Trust me
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Trout lures ? - 12/19/17 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Stump jumper
Joes flies. Inline spinner with fly and small treble trailer. I use 2 or 3 BB split shots to cast them and get them down. Probably can't find around here. I have a friend in "west by god" Virginia that sends them to me. If he can't buy he makes his own. I have brass and nickel blades un different sizes. Deadly on brownies but not many brownies around here. One day the trout were finicky on the Lower Fork and I slayed them on the Joe's flies.

This is what I use on the Elk River in Tennessee. I remove the trailer, as I only catch and release.
Posted By: MathGeek

Re: Trout lures ? - 12/19/17 02:44 PM

Michigan Stinger Spoons
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Trout lures ? - 12/20/17 06:38 PM

berkley trout niblets.
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: Trout lures ? - 12/21/17 03:36 PM

Berkeley power bait for trout. Killer
Posted By: SenkoSam

Re: Trout lures ? - 12/24/17 03:05 AM

http://troutmagnet.com/

Work well rigged on 1/32 oz jigheads on 6# test line and slow erratic retrieves.
Posted By: Bass Art

Re: Trout lures ? - 12/29/17 03:32 AM

Rapala CD3 in rainbow trout.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum