Print Thread
Wade fishing guide San Luis pass #6592612 09/03/11 02:32 PM
S
Snooki Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
S
Just spent a weekend in San Luis pass. Trout jumping out of the water and wade fisherman fishing all day on the beach side. I loved standing in the gentle surf and seeing all the different fish. I want to learn how to do this. Does anyone know of a wade fishing instructor/guide for this area? Never been fishing in my life. Thanks

Re: Wade fishing guide San Luis pass [Re: Snooki] #6592845 09/03/11 04:36 PM
B
bill oxner Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Jusrt wade in and monkey fish.

[Linked Image]

The birds and the guides follow mr out
Re: Wade fishing guide San Luis pass [Re: bill oxner] #6593290 09/03/11 07:58 PM
S
Snooki Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
S
Well I like to think I'm a smart gal. Smarter than a monkey at least, so maybe you have something there...

Re: Wade fishing guide San Luis pass [Re: Snooki] #6593746 09/03/11 10:23 PM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
I don't know of a surf fishing guide but I do know many of the guides will surf fish this time of year, usually from a boat. I learned by just going out there and doing it. Spent most of my life fishing off of the jetties or a pier. Read some of the post on this site, watch what others do and use common sense. It may help to spend some time fishing the jetty so you get the hang of casting the rod and setting up your rigs. Some places will rent fishing equipment if you don't want to spend the money to until you know you will enjoy it. I don't know of any in that area but i expect they are there. You can go with a guide and fish the bays as well. They will teach you how to cast the rod and give you some good basic instruction. If you search some of the topics you will see some recommendations for guides. Also, you will see the same names pop up in several of the outdoor magazines that cover the Texas coast. Good luck, welcome to the forum and let us know how it goes.

I fish on a 14 ft piece of plastic.
Re: Wade fishing guide San Luis pass [Re: jnd59] #6593977 09/03/11 11:59 PM
B
bill oxner Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
I didn't know that you were a, "smart gal," when you first started the thread. Post up your picture and you might get a few free offers.

[Linked Image]

The birds and the guides follow mr out
Re: Wade fishing guide San Luis pass [Re: jnd59] #6594102 09/04/11 12:42 AM
S
Snooki Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
S
Thanks. I think I will just get out there. I saw a fairly inexpensive rod/reel and starter tackle box at bass pro. Between addictive fishing on you tube and this forum I should be able to figure it out. Appreciate the advice!

Re: Wade fishing guide San Luis pass [Re: bill oxner] #6594357 09/04/11 02:14 AM
E
Eldon V. Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
Hey:
I don't know much about fishing on the Gulf Coast, but I have been fishing there with a guide. Get a fishing license. Go to Walmart and buy a cheap spinning fishing pole. Have the salesman show you how to cast it. Go online and learn how to tie on a "Texas Rig," hook and sinker. Check other hook and sinker combinations. Go to a tackla store and buy some shrimp imitations. Talk with the sales person. Consider a small casting net, the smallest net. Wade into the surf and cast the net until you catch some minnow sized bait. Mud minnows preferred, or live shrimp. You can buy the bait, but it is not cheap. Put the minnows or shrimp on your hook, and you are underway.
Good luck, Eldon

"Freedom" is not free. Many men died to bring freedom to you and to me. Some of them sang: "...Christ was born across the sea with a glory in his bosom that transfigures you and me. Entitlement programs are not free. Someone did the work for you and for me.
Re: Wade fishing guide San Luis pass [Re: Eldon V.] #6599323 09/05/11 11:57 PM
S
Snooki Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
S
Thanks for the advice Eldon. Actually thought about fishing with lures and trying to learn and mimic whatever the big fish are eating first. But I like the idea of casting a net and saw a couple of folks doing this surf side....now I know why. Since I live all the way up in kingwood it will be a few days until I can get down to the pass but I will post my first catch at some point. Thanks again.

Re: Wade fishing guide San Luis pass [Re: Snooki] #6599650 09/06/11 01:31 AM
A
AdanV Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Originally Posted By: Snooki
Thanks for the advice Eldon. Actually thought about fishing with lures and trying to learn and mimic whatever the big fish are eating first. But I like the idea of casting a net and saw a couple of folks doing this surf side....now I know why. Since I live all the way up in kingwood it will be a few days until I can get down to the pass but I will post my first catch at some point. Thanks again.

If you want to fish with lures, here's pretty much the "standard" to have in your tackle box IMO:

- SPOONS: Gold and Silver (Its better to use Gold in the northern Texas Gulf Coast, IMO.)(Use a snap-swivel on top to prevent line twist).
- JERKBAITS: Mirrolures (Silvery White with Redhead), Chartreuse/White & Pink Colors
- SOFTPLASTICS: Swimbaits (Plum color with Chartreuse Tails), Berkeley GULP Shrimp (New Penny Color)

There's many others, but these are the top 3 from what Ive seen.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide