Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
First time taking boat to coast, looking for input #11763060 08/07/16 03:38 PM
P
parttime Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
P
Planning a trip to Rockport for Labor day weekend. We’ve been down there a few time but have never taken my boat (18” Mako) because I really do not know where I can and can’t go in it and I worry about tides, and shallow reefs. This time we plan to bring it with us. Here is my plan, and I would appreciate any input from those more experienced than me.
We want to put in near Aransas Pass (ramp locations? Cost?) and if the forecast is for 1-2’ waves (best forecast site that is real time?), we would run out to Boatmen’s Reef (unless someone wants to share another location that is close in to shore?). If the weather will not allow that, then we would fish around the jetties. So how does this sound for our first time with the boat down there?

Parttime (John)
Follow me on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/c/AJOutdoors1
Re: First time taking boat to coast, looking for input [Re: parttime] #11763807 08/07/16 10:54 PM
lite-liner Offline
Capt. CUDA
Capt. CUDA
good idea, lots to do in that area. you can run safely all the way to the jetties from there. keep an eye on the tides
ramp at Conn Brown is good & relatively safe.
get a hook&line map for the area. they're at tackle town

[Linked Image]
Re: First time taking boat to coast, looking for input [Re: lite-liner] #11764459 08/08/16 10:21 AM
P
parttime Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: lite-liner
good idea, lots to do in that area. you can run safely all the way to the jetties from there. keep an eye on the tides
ramp at Conn Brown is good & relatively safe.
get a hook&line map for the area. they're at tackle town

Thank you for the reply! I plan to use shrimp under a popping cork, what other rigs/bait would be good to try?

Parttime (John)
Re: First time taking boat to coast, looking for input [Re: parttime] #11764604 08/08/16 01:00 PM
T
tunatamer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Shrimp under a popping cork might work if the weather is ice cream and you can fish just outside the surf line for specks/reds but is not something one would normally use at a a platform or wreck.

The simple rig would be what is called a "knocker" rig. This is just an egg sinker above the hook which can be anything from a 5/0 to 8/0 circle hook. You can also make it into a "Carolina" rig by adding a short piece of leader and a swivel and then putting the egg sinker above the swivel.

I, personally, am a jig user. For the first trip stop by Roy's or Academy in CC and get some Snapper Slappers in smaller sizes (1 oz. - 3 oz.) and pin a cigar minnow or spanish sardine on it. Buy some ribbonfish and drift or troll for kings too. They also sell leaders for that.

there are also places close to boat ramps you cna catch pin perch to take and they always work well anywhere you go.

Hope you kill 'em and let us know how it went.

"still" awesum
Re: First time taking boat to coast, looking for input [Re: tunatamer] #11764780 08/08/16 02:15 PM
P
parttime Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: tunatamer
Shrimp under a popping cork might work if the weather is ice cream and you can fish just outside the surf line for specks/reds but is not something one would normally use at a a platform or wreck.

The simple rig would be what is called a "knocker" rig. This is just an egg sinker above the hook which can be anything from a 5/0 to 8/0 circle hook. You can also make it into a "Carolina" rig by adding a short piece of leader and a swivel and then putting the egg sinker above the swivel.

I, personally, am a jig user. For the first trip stop by Roy's or Academy in CC and get some Snapper Slappers in smaller sizes (1 oz. - 3 oz.) and pin a cigar minnow or spanish sardine on it. Buy some ribbonfish and drift or troll for kings too. They also sell leaders for that.

there are also places close to boat ramps you cna catch pin perch to take and they always work well anywhere you go.

Hope you kill 'em and let us know how it went.
Great, thanks for the input! Yeah I was thinking the cork and shrimp for fishing near the jetties. Other than that my basic rig is the Carolina rig, so that is perfect.

Parttime (John)
Re: First time taking boat to coast, looking for input [Re: tunatamer] #11764784 08/08/16 02:16 PM
P
parttime Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
P
Oh, any pointers on locating close in platforms? How far out would I need to go to get to one?

Parttime (John)
Re: First time taking boat to coast, looking for input [Re: parttime] #11764862 08/08/16 02:54 PM
J
jtwhites85 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
If you get to Boatmen's you'll be able to see 2 - 3 platforms to the West relatively close. Lot's of traffic though as they are easily reached. Week before 4th we went out and hooked something at Boatmen's that we never saw or turned on pin perch. Figure it was a shark as it cut the fluorocarbon about 40" above the hook. 1 32" king and 4 snapper on the platforms. I agree with Conn Brown as the ramp to put in. It is 9 miles from there to the jetties and another 6 out to Boatmen's. Best of luck!

2006 Blue Wave 220 VBay
Re: First time taking boat to coast, looking for input [Re: jtwhites85] #11764960 08/08/16 03:24 PM
P
parttime Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: jtwhites85
If you get to Boatmen's you'll be able to see 2 - 3 platforms to the West relatively close. Lot's of traffic though as they are easily reached. Week before 4th we went out and hooked something at Boatmen's that we never saw or turned on pin perch. Figure it was a shark as it cut the fluorocarbon about 40" above the hook. 1 32" king and 4 snapper on the platforms. I agree with Conn Brown as the ramp to put in. It is 9 miles from there to the jetties and another 6 out to Boatmen's. Best of luck!

Thank you for the input, is there a speed restriction running from the ramp to the jetties?

Parttime (John)
Re: First time taking boat to coast, looking for input [Re: parttime] #11765219 08/08/16 05:07 PM
lite-liner Offline
Capt. CUDA
Capt. CUDA
don't think so

[Linked Image]
Re: First time taking boat to coast, looking for input [Re: parttime] #11765293 08/08/16 06:01 PM
P
parttime Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
P
Ok, good.

Parttime (John)
Re: First time taking boat to coast, looking for input [Re: parttime] #11766070 08/09/16 12:07 AM
C
ccoker Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
No speed restrictions.. it's just the intercoastal..
I lived a few miles from Conn Brown in City by the Sea when I was in high school.
We ran a 19ft Robalo offshore all the time.
Good luck!
Just keep an eye on the skies because it can get real ugly, real quick.

Re: First time taking boat to coast, looking for input [Re: parttime] #11766257 08/09/16 01:41 AM
T
tunatamer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
If you race down the shrimp boat channel to the jetties balls to the wall you'll be passing up a lot of spots to get live bait for offshore.

"still" awesum
Re: First time taking boat to coast, looking for input [Re: tunatamer] #11766686 08/09/16 10:28 AM
P
parttime Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
P
If you race down the shrimp boat channel to the jetties balls to the wall you'll be passing up a lot of spots to get live bait for offshore.

Tell me more! smile I'm bringing the cast net, just have no idea where to throw it down there.

Parttime (John)
Re: First time taking boat to coast, looking for input [Re: parttime] #11766811 08/09/16 12:39 PM
T
tunatamer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: parttime
Tell me more! smile I'm bringing the cast net, just have no idea where to throw it down there.

I can't give you particular spots but I'd keep an eye out while on the cruise toward the jetties. Watch for things that might indicate there are baitfish there. Nervous water, birds, etc. If it were me I'd have a couple of rigs handy for catching pin perch. You and someone else could catch a couple of dozen in 30 - 45 minutes. When you get closer to the jetties you might see schools of Menhaden (pogies, bunker) working either in the channel or along the jetties. If you take some live bait your chances of catching something to keep will increase. Ling are suckers for a live perch. There are spots by the ferry landing on both sides where the erch are thick. And some big ones.

As far as coords for oil platforms ... you shouldn't need them. They are scattered out from Port A to Packery and you can see them. Hop from one to the other. Troll ribbonfish for kings on the way from one to the next. If you can't get ribbonfish catch some spanish mackerel and cut long slender slabs from them to troll. I got a 52 pounder that way .

If the weather is real calm fish all sides of the platform, not just the down current side.

You should have a lot of fun.

"still" awesum
Re: First time taking boat to coast, looking for input [Re: tunatamer] #11767056 08/09/16 02:28 PM
P
parttime Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: parttime

I can't give you particular spots but I'd keep an eye out while on the cruise toward the jetties. Watch for things that might indicate there are baitfish there. Nervous water, birds, etc. If it were me I'd have a couple of rigs handy for catching pin perch. You and someone else could catch a couple of dozen in 30 - 45 minutes. When you get closer to the jetties you might see schools of Menhaden (pogies, bunker) working either in the channel or along the jetties. If you take some live bait your chances of catching something to keep will increase. Ling are suckers for a live perch. There are spots by the ferry landing on both sides where the erch are thick. And some big ones.

As far as coords for oil platforms ... you shouldn't need them. They are scattered out from Port A to Packery and you can see them. Hop from one to the other. Troll ribbonfish for kings on the way from one to the next. If you can't get ribbonfish catch some spanish mackerel and cut long slender slabs from them to troll. I got a 52 pounder that way .

If the weather is real calm fish all sides of the platform, not just the down current side.

You should have a lot of fun.

Wow, thanks for the great information! If you don't mind, I would like to message you to get some more details, like rigs for catch the ribbonfish, and how you troll out there (I have trolled, but always fresh water and depending on what your fishing for the speeds and rigs very greatly).

Parttime (John)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide