texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,896
Posts13,954,968
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Port O'Connor Information #12746150 05/07/18 03:16 PM
J
johnsonjf Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
Good Morning,

I am coming to Port O'Connor on May 16th to participate in the annual Warrior Weekend. I am looking for any information which can help get these warriors on some great fishing. I am planning to work some of the old rig sites in west of Grass Island, I understand the trout and reds are biting really well on live bait over shell. Last I heard the gas/oil platforms all have shell around them which was put there when the rigs were installed. If there are any other locations people would like to share I would be grateful. I will post any pictures and all the information I have during the event and once the weekend is over.

Thanks,
Jeff

Re: Port O'Connor Information [Re: johnsonjf] #12751440 05/11/18 01:14 PM
VacMaster Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Jeff, I am a Veteran and will be a boat captain for my second year of WW.I fished POC on the 6 & 7 and caught about 50 trout over those 2 days. 26 of those went in the ice box. I fished near the entrance to Panther Lake and just west of that on Panther Reef over shell. I also fished one of the gas platforms near Panther Reef and all of these spots paid dividends. The hard heads eventually moved in near the the gas rig and pushed the trout off the spot. Charlies was out of live in the morning so I used Gulp shrimp under a popper. Charlies had live in the afternoon so I used live shrimps under the popper in the afternoon/evening. I also saw lots of birds working so I chunked in there with a top water Spook and caught multiple Lady Fish. Terrible to eat as they taste like $hit but are alot of fun to catch especially for the soldiers! Poor mans Tarpon, big-a-flippers. I recommend catch and release on these bad boys.

I also fished Bird Island near the entrance to the Matagorda Ship Channel. Caught a lot of trout there as well. I do think shell was the key as all of these were over shell. Used live croaker on the bottom with a small, 1 ounce lead weight. The outgoing tide funneling through a gut helped the bite at Bird Island. The Dolphin moved in and pushed the trout away.

Talked with another fisherman who did well on reds using Spanish Sardines along the inside of the Matagorda Jetty. I got into more Lady Fish live action on the outside of the jetty near the beach.

I put my Warrior on a nice trout last year near Bill Day reef. He hooked into a beautiful 26" sow which won him 2nd place. Missed first place by 2"! He was so excited to be able to weigh in a fish and actually win!

Good luck this year I hope y'all catch some big ones!!

Re: Port O'Connor Information [Re: johnsonjf] #12751461 05/11/18 01:27 PM
T
TroutSupport.com Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Bill Days Reef is always good this time of year. Also the west shoreline of West Matagorda between the little jetties and mouth of Powderhorn.

ya'll have fun.

110% Money Back Guarantee -Tons of Testimonials!

Speckled Trout/Redfish Instruction & DVD's - FREE Preview

Like us on Facebook
Re: Port O'Connor Information [Re: johnsonjf] #12752000 05/11/18 08:42 PM
J
johnsonjf Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
Thank you for the information. Hopefully we will be able to get to some of these locations and have the vets catch some great fish. Would be good to see them hook up with something more exciting than hard heads and gafftop.

I will post what we catch if it is worthy when I get back to town.

Thanks,
Jeff

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide