Print Thread
Whiting Are In The Surf #11894122 10/22/16 05:34 PM
C
C Worthy Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
I posted this in the Croaker Run .... NOT! but I thought I would make a separate post for those that like to fish for Whiting in the surf. Folks..... THEY HAVE ARRIVED smile

I just came back Friday from being at the coast for a week. I don't know what you guys are waiting for LOL. Seriously, I started out with two rods out and had to put one up because it was working me to death. I will give what I found out. First I was using Fishbites Crab Flesh. For some reason they really liked the flesh color because I had pink too and could hardly get a bite on it. But the second that flesh hit the water they were on it. I was using a double hook rig and was catching them two at a time. Now here is a secret that I learned this week. Everyone tells you to use a #6 or #4 hook because their mouths are small. Like I said I had two poles out and one pole had two #4 hooks and all I caught on the small hooks were small fish because they could suck it in easy. On the other rod, I was using a 4/0 circle hook (for real) and I was catching 14-15" whiting on every cast. You would get a ton on bites with the small fish hitting it but when that big snatch came it was a good fish. I figure I caught close to 50-60 fish in a 4-6 hr trip on the two days I actually spent fishing. I have to admit, I did not catch one single croaker the whole time. 95% whiting, 1 puppy redfish, 2 trout (9-10"), 1 ladyfish, and 1 hardhead. I fished Bolivar one day and then fished right in front of the Galvestonian the other day. Didn't seem to matter where I fished, as long as I used Fishbites Crab Flesh color strips. I would cut the strips about 2" long and double the hook through it. Buy as much as you can before you go, because Academy was out of the flesh color when I was there. I went through two bags and a little out of a third bag. I tried shrimp, squid, pink and flesh crab, and by far the flesh crab was the ticket. Good luck guys and fill the box and have fun. Right now is the time for those kiddos to have a ball. Oh, I was just throwing out as far as I could, no special sand bar or gut, they were everywhere.
I just came back Friday from being at the coast for a week. I don't know what you guys are waiting for LOL. Seriously, I started out with two rods out and had to put one up because it was working me to death. I will give what I found out. First I was using Fishbites Crab Flesh. For some reason they really liked the flesh color because I had pink too and could hardly get a bite on it. But the second that flesh hit the water they were on it. I was using a double hook rig and was catching them two at a time. Now here is a secret that I learned this week. Everyone tells you to use a #6 or #4 hook because their mouths are small. Like I said I had two poles out and one pole had two #4 hooks and all I caught on the small hooks were small fish because they could suck it in easy. On the other rod, I was using a 4/0 circle hook (for real) and I was catching 14-15" whiting on every cast. You would get a ton on bites with the small fish hitting it but when that big snatch came it was a good fish. I figure I caught close to 50-60 fish in a 4-6 hr trip on the two days I actually spent fishing. I have to admit, I did not catch one single croaker the whole time. 95% whiting, 1 puppy redfish, 2 trout (9-10"), 1 ladyfish, and 1 hardhead. I fished Bolivar one day and then fished right in front of the Galvestonian the other day. Didn't seem to matter where I fished, as long as I used Fishbites Crab Flesh color strips. I would cut the strips about 2" long and double the hook through it. Buy as much as you can before you go, because Academy was out of the flesh color when I was there. I went through two bags and a little out of a third bag. I tried shrimp, squid, pink and flesh crab, and by far the flesh crab was the ticket. Good luck guys and fill the box and have fun. Right now is the time for those kiddos to have a ball. Oh, I was just throwing out as far as I could, no special sand bar or gut, they were everywhere.

Last edited by C Worthy; 10/24/16 07:23 PM.

Life is one big playground. Be sure to ride all the rides before it closes.
Re: Whiting Are In The Surf [Re: C Worthy] #11912642 11/02/16 03:11 AM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Awesome post! cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide