Print Thread
Spring Coming Early #11422688 02/18/16 04:47 PM
T
TroutSupport.com Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
I just wrote an article for next months Coastal Angler Magazine (March) about the spring transition and the factors at play and how to understand it and hopefully help everyone catch a few more fish during that time. A customer PM'd me yesterday and asked if "with all this hot weather on the coast should be start looking at spring transition areas'. I said absolutely. We've had a not so typical winter that was a month a half late to getting to the typical winter trout pattern (similar to redfish with low tides). And with the warmth, there are signs that spring is coming early. I keep an eye on the state of the bays progression every year as the seasons change and I can tell you there are signs occurring right now that are showing up that indicate it's ahead of schedule.

So, with out going into all of it. This is just a heads up. If your winter fish aren't where they are supposed to be this weekend.. be on your toes and start looking in typical spring transition areas. With the abnormal water temps and lack of cold everything may happen a bit faster this spring. That also means that those fish are going to spread out faster and you'll have to be ready for that and go looking for where they should be.

Good luck on the Water, TightLines
Tobin

110% Money Back Guarantee -Tons of Testimonials!

Speckled Trout/Redfish Instruction & DVD's - FREE Preview

Like us on Facebook
Re: Spring Coming Early [Re: TroutSupport.com] #11422967 02/18/16 06:39 PM
Capt. Andrew Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Been chasing fish all over this season. Cold,cool,warm water has been all over. Right now the bite is on a shell reef in 4ft of water. Some big trout are being caught its a great time to fish.

http://FishingCharterspi.com/
Snook,Redfish,Shark, Red snapper, tarpon
Shallow Sport Latitude 27’ Suzuki 300hp
South Texas Boat Outfitters (owner)
Pure Fishing Prostaff
TFO Rods ProStaff.

Re: Spring Coming Early [Re: TroutSupport.com] #11424977 02/19/16 04:19 PM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Andy, don't leave me hangin brau, post up some pigs you guys have caught this winter
t

Like us on Facebook
Re: Spring Coming Early [Re: TroutSupport.com] #11425707 02/19/16 09:56 PM
Capt. Andrew Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: TroutSupport.com
Andy, don't leave me hangin brau, post up some pigs you guys have caught this winter
t
Wish I could but I have not been on many this winter. Starting to get more bookings so I'm sure we will pull some out soon. Snook trip on Sunday always look forward to doing those.

Pure Fishing Prostaff
TFO Rods ProStaff.

Re: Spring Coming Early [Re: TroutSupport.com] #11441613 02/26/16 07:01 PM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
I hear ya, you guys focused more on the deep snook this winter huh.

Here is a little more info for the rest of you guys that are going fishing between now and end of April.

I posted this on another forum I post on....
..... if you aren't already switching your search for the tiny bait in spring transition areas, it's time. That's where you're going to catch more fish.. and not exactly tiny fish either, good solid fish. Look for tiny glass minnows and tiny shad/menhaden (this winters hatch). The more you find this stuff over the right structure in the spring transition areas the more fish you are going to catch. Start training your eyes and you'll see it and you can see the signs of it... little tiny bait balls and tiny surface ripples...

It also doesn't mean that you have to throw little tiny silver baits around it either. Sure downsize to Norton Sand Eel Junior or the smaller Chicken Boy shrimp or a Bass Assassin paddle tail, but don't hesitate to throw a one knocker spook, Fat Boy, or Brown Devil in there too. The suspending baits are all still very useful. I think Caleb Harp had a great report the other day throwing Softdines XL's as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSSU3
...Happened to look down and see what looked like a 29-30" trout slowly swimming out to deeper water. I was a little surprise it was in that shallow of water, 8-10". But the weather/water was warm and there was plenty of crab and mullet to feed on.

Reply : Oh yeah, you're on them bro! Nice. Some good trout also spreading into the marshes right now as well. Going all over...that's what is going to make it tough for most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasIslandBoy
Water was 75.5* in south bay yesterday were the redfish were.
You're right Andy. Up here it's been ranging from mid 60's to high 60's. It wouldn't surprise me if a flat or marsh has already hit 70 before this last big blow..

Reply: This one won't drop the water temp much, but it did drop the tide level. I'm itching to go throw a One Knocker, I'm just not sure if it's going to be in Big Lake or in Baffin and maybe sneak all the way down to the Laguna.

Like us on Facebook
Re: Spring Coming Early [Re: TroutSupport.com] #11449011 03/01/16 03:29 PM
Capt. Andrew Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Well we pulled a few more out on that charter and lost some right next to the boat. I need to make sure I check clients tackle... They forgot to take off the plastic sleeve that covers the hook... And still got two in the boat.

Pure Fishing Prostaff
TFO Rods ProStaff.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide