Print Thread
Went for a swim #7474356 04/30/12 05:06 PM
M
MamaTried-ATX Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
I had a mandatory work meeting Saturday night. So, I stayed in town instead of heading to the coast and went to my favorite stump filled bass lake. 20+ mph winds made the fishing tough. I was using my aluminum boat that I have rigged similar to a bass boat, i.e. front casting deck and foot controlled trolling motor. Running the TM, casting, avoiding stumps, all while standing on one foot can be a challenge.

I had just cast out and was reaching for the TM with my right foot when the wind blew the boat into a submerged stump and I went over the side. I felt the fall happening and took a deep breath. The water wasn't cold. It took a heartbeat to realize I hadn't fallen on anything and was just in the water. A couple kicks and I look up expecting to break the surface. I realize I'm a lot further underwater than I thought and still sinking. I begin to swim upward. It was difficult, heavy and sluggish. I refused to let go of my curado/carrot stik combo.

I break the surface and begin to tread water while holding the rod. I see the boat about 15' away. Pop's look of panic recedes to just concern. He throws a life vest which the wind carried away. He throws a cushion which makes it to me. A few minutes later I'm out of the water.

Later that day I was reflecting on the experience. First why did I sink like a rock? It doesn't happen when I'm in the pool with the kids. I started adding up what I had in my cargo pockets. Left pocket keys, large buck knife, pliers, line clipper. Right pocket several packages of fishing weights and hooks. I also had a leatherman surge on my belt. I assume just enough weight to overcome natural buoyancy. Why was it difficult to swim to the surface? I was fully dressed in boots, cargo pants, and polo shirt. When I pulled myself back into the boat, the cargo pockets were full of water like a balloon. Of course, holding onto the rod didn't make it any easier. I've always been a decent swimmer and wasnt concerned for my safety during my dunking. Worse case, I drop the rod, kick off my shoes, and swim to the bank.

I had to ask myself some difficult questions though. In a similar situation, could Pop have even made it back to the surface? How about my 21 yr old nephew that cant swim a lick or any of the other folks I take fishing that havent had a real swim 20 yrs and probably never treaded water? Would throwing them a cushion even been possible? How would I have done if the swim would have occurred at the end of the POC big jetty with a ripping current and 1 of chop?

As you can imagine, the answers to those questions were not very encouraging. Its not going to be cheap but Im planning to purchase a compliment of auto-inflate life vests and direct all passengers to wear them. It may be overkill or overreaction but it will give me a little peace of mind knowing they would make it back to the surface.

Re: Went for a swim [Re: MamaTried-ATX] #7475157 04/30/12 07:57 PM
big fish 1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A little expensive but you can't put a price tag on a life. Thank goodness you're ok.

Re: Went for a swim [Re: MamaTried-ATX] #7475694 04/30/12 09:46 PM
A
AdanV Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Its good to know that youre alright.
All the clothes we wear can quadruple in weight when they fully absorbed with water.

The salts in every body of water vary and they play a good part in density & bouyancy.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide