Page 1 of 2 1 2
Turtle Creek area of Dallas #12058675 01/25/17 12:33 PM
C
CoC Angler Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
C
Has anyone fished the turtle creek area near the intersection of turtle creek and Blackburn in uptown dallas? It appears to run a long way as part of it is a park. Looks very fishy, and I see no "no fishing" signs.....

SirHerbertC
Re: Turtle Creek area of Dallas [Re: CoC Angler] #12059164 01/25/17 05:21 PM
E
erittmueller Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
Decent bass, sunfish, and carp

Eric

Re: Turtle Creek area of Dallas [Re: CoC Angler] #12059679 01/25/17 09:34 PM
L
Lovfldx Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Catfish too, Eric. Lakeside, below the Dallas Athletic Club dam. Good bass and sunfish. Below its dam, deep pools here and there that hold some pretty big bass. Channel cats scattered hither and yon between lakeside and Lemmon Avenue. Bullheads everywhere and plentiful

Re: Turtle Creek area of Dallas [Re: CoC Angler] #12059724 01/25/17 10:03 PM
C
CoC Angler Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
C
Well this is very promising to hear. Although I was hoping somebody would say that they have caught a Crappie out of here, but no worries. Since this is right near where I work now it sounds like I'm going to be investigating this area with some ultra light and some jigs. Maybe bait up an area for some carp as well.

SirHerbertC
Re: Turtle Creek area of Dallas [Re: CoC Angler] #12062566 01/27/17 02:42 PM
M
Muzzlebrake Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
I sure wouldn't want to eat anything out of Bachman. That lake bottom is loaded with PCBs and other bad stuff from street runoffs not to mention what falls from the airplanes off of Love Field. Been that way since the 60's. It's been dredged a few times but still silts in fast.

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the earth."

Then He made the earth round...and He laughed and laughed and laughed!

Re: Turtle Creek area of Dallas [Re: CoC Angler] #12063144 01/27/17 08:05 PM
E
erittmueller Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
Bachman??????????? Where'd that come from?

And even so yes the fish are same to eat there. Its a lie that PCBs are there, only people are propagating that. Anyone testing it knows its good.

Eric

Re: Turtle Creek area of Dallas [Re: Muzzlebrake] #12063753 01/28/17 02:41 AM
A
ampfizo Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted By: Muzzlebrake
I sure wouldn't want to eat anything out of Bachman. That lake bottom is loaded with PCBs and other bad stuff from street runoffs not to mention what falls from the airplanes off of Love Field. Been that way since the 60's. It's been dredged a few times but still silts in fast.

I say to each his own.... i've fished and eaten fish from bachman....since i can remember, at 40 i can say i can still keep up with my 18 yr old and his friends in any sports they play.

Re: Turtle Creek area of Dallas [Re: CoC Angler] #12064427 01/28/17 05:56 PM
L
Lovfldx Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Even if it's catch and release only(which it isn't), The bass fishing there in pre spawn and spawn is absolutely dazzling! That lake is choked with HUGE bass. The crappie spawn in the spring, along the cypress tree sand flat, and the rip rap along Shorecrest should be awesome. Bachman has been producing consistent quality crappie this winter, not in huge numbers, but very few throwbacks.

Re: Turtle Creek area of Dallas [Re: CoC Angler] #12065576 01/29/17 04:45 PM
M
Muzzlebrake Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Bachman we have a problem http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/dallas-co...-lake/391642610

Last dredged in 2002 the lake now has sediment depths to 120" deep per the latest 2015 survey.
Toxic reports have been issued in the past.

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the earth."

Then He made the earth round...and He laughed and laughed and laughed!

Re: Turtle Creek area of Dallas [Re: CoC Angler] #12067254 01/30/17 04:53 PM
E
erittmueller Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
I was inquiring on how Bachman got brought up to begin with. Why was that posted here? Just came out of left field when the thread was about Turtle Creek...

Eric.

Re: Turtle Creek area of Dallas [Re: CoC Angler] #12067630 01/30/17 08:24 PM
B
BMART Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Even though the post is not related to Bachman, I have always wondered about water quality of white rock, bachman and the trinity past sandy lake dam

If it's legal ain't no way in hell it's catch and release, it's CATCH & GREASE, except ROUGH (TRASH) Fish
Re: Turtle Creek area of Dallas [Re: CoC Angler] #12067958 01/30/17 11:26 PM
E
erittmueller Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
Just to lend myself credability, I have a science degree (ecology, evolution, and behavior); have done an internship in Washington St where environmentalism is hardcore, and also worked with my uncle while up there who does stream gauging and measures just about everything you can measure about a stream/creek/river from flow rate to content of soils, toxins, etc etc. I'm not "mr expert" but definately know how to look up others research on an area.

White Rock: a few years ago all of the DFW lakes were measured for water quality and WR was actually the highest quality out of any of the lakes. Clear doesn't equal clean and trash does not equal toxic. Yes there is trash in WR and other city lakes (and really all bodies of water today) and that sucks, but that does not actually change the water quality. If it did then you would need to worry about the aluminum in soda cans diffusing into the soda, or the same with plastic bottles, all canned food, rice in plastic bags, etc etc, so everything you eat for the most part.....it doesn't degrade like that. There are lots of fish that are highly sensitive to water quality and will die if there are toxins in the water. For example Redhorse will not survive if there are any significant amounts of toxins. They need clean water to live (remember dirt doesn't have to do with quality here), and Redhorse live in White Rock Creek! WR is absolutely safe.

Bachman: Do you really think airports have jet fuel spilling all over the place??? There would be a hue and cry from the environmentalists the moment that happened. Airports are monitored closely that you'd think on environmental impact, and have some of the most strict guidelines out there. Jet fuel does not drain into the lake. The trash is from people, but like WR, it doesn't leech into the water. It's not fun to be around, and I want to punch litterers in the face, but it doesn't impact the water like that with regard to consumption.

Elm Fork Trinity: Ray Roberts releases into Lewisville, which releases and combines with the water released from Grapevine. It's water from those lakes and has no issues unless something spills into it after GV or LL. The PCBs that are the issue in the Trinity are in portion of the Trinity near W Ft Worth. They are stuck in the substrate in clumps and when a clump is exposed it dissipates into the nearby water and a fish can pick it up through absorption or eating another food source that contains it. Fish will move miles and miles over time and can easilty reach downriver to Dallas and beyond. The TPWD consumption ban states as far as 287, which is something like 100 miles away. Now, with that said, it doesn't mean everything is infected like some big outbreak and cancer if a guarantee if you eat fish from the river...even if you're fishing in the Trinity in W FT Worth your chances of consuming much PCB fish is extremely low in your whole life, but if you do get one from there thats bad, then thats pretty bad and your cancer risk skyrockets. It's like russian roulette. Fish in the Elm Fork are clear except for the part that is directly connected to the main river arm. Sandy Lake dam is separated by another dam between that and is all clear. Even at Frazier dam though, your statistical chances of getting a bad fish are basically as low as getting an eaqually poisoned food from the grocery store.

Rant complete

Eric

Re: Turtle Creek area of Dallas [Re: CoC Angler] #12079570 02/06/17 01:51 PM
B
BMART Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Thx for the biological perspective. I was just asking that question based on what I was seeing around these bodies of water. I have fished the muddy waters of elm fork, before sandy lake and never had any doubts; however the water bodies surrounded by urban population seemed somewhat suspicious that's why I posed that question.

If it's legal ain't no way in hell it's catch and release, it's CATCH & GREASE, except ROUGH (TRASH) Fish
Re: Turtle Creek area of Dallas [Re: CoC Angler] #12080202 02/06/17 07:34 PM
E
erittmueller Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
I get you, people tend to correlate the area of cleanliness from the human perspective with the quality of water. Remember that if there was any sort of spillage, leakage, runoff, etc from these areas, there would be workings like "don't walk through puddles" "stay inside when its raining"... Consumption dangers come from single instance events: a chemical truck spills, storage leaks, and so on. Unless someone is dumping sludge into the water or land then an accident is really the only thing going to be a threat.

Eric

Re: Turtle Creek area of Dallas [Re: CoC Angler] #12082988 02/08/17 03:17 AM
B
beans FFL Offline
Angler
Angler
B
i have fished it ones there is a lot of bass and sunfish the ruble is catching them they are really skittish but when you find what they will hit on it should be fire

grab life by the tits and milk it
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide