Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Ultimate catfishing boat #11713855 07/09/16 08:18 PM
L
livemusic Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
What do consider to be ideal design features of a boat for catfishing? If I were to buy one, if I could, I would like for the boat to also serve as a decent bass fishing boat, since I do both. I saw a Sea Ark boat recently that looked nice. I fish rivers, and there is sand, so, for instance, I need a keel saver, I forget what you call those but if you run your boat up onto a sandbar or gravel bar, it won't ruin your centerline. A large live well is desirable. A front deck for bass fishing but also quite a bit of open floor space. Lots of storage, for sure. I am thinking 18-20 feet long and not more than 115-150 hp; I don't need to go 60 mph. I also need a troll motor for bass fishing. Those types of things.

I am not set on this but I have a friend who has a stick steer boat and it sure is handy for setting/running limblines, since your seat is near the front of the boat. Max hp for stick steer might possibly be an issue.

I have never known anyone who owns a jet propulsion motor instead of a prop, I wonder why they are not more popular. We have so many stumps around here, sure seems like a good thing, but I know nothing about it. Mercury has jet motors up to 80hp.

Here is an interesting boat I came across online that has a center console --

~~~
Bill
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Ultimate catfishing boat [Re: livemusic] #11713912 07/09/16 09:03 PM
B
BigPoppa007 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I like Big Deep Vs but I don't Bass fish.

Maybe:

Last edited by BigPoppa007; 07/09/16 09:04 PM.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Ultimate catfishing boat [Re: livemusic] #11713914 07/09/16 09:04 PM
D
devin828 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
D
its basically what you can afford I turmoiled over your very debate before I bought my 2008 1600 Fish hawk I compared new vs old
prop motor vs jet
stick steering vs wheel steering
center console vs side console
Sometimes you can go all out and spend thousands of dollars and your boat sits in the driveway for more often than you fish its all up to you. Decide what YOU need how YOURE going to be fishing as if you were by yourself If you have a family then that will need to be factored in also basicly its what you need to make your trips as comfortable as possible for YOU..... thats what makes a great Cat-fishing boat of course look around at other boats and get your ideas of what you need Build a great Catfishing-boat good luck my fellow fisherman .

Re: Ultimate catfishing boat [Re: livemusic] #11713938 07/09/16 09:16 PM
tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
For lake fishing, bigger is better.

I live with Fear everyday but sometimes she lets me go fishin
Lewisvillecatfish.com

PB 65#
www.lewisvillecatfish.com
Facebook.com/Tom Gravley
www.youtube.com/gravleybrats
Re: Ultimate catfishing boat [Re: livemusic] #11715052 07/10/16 04:46 PM
B
Bob Landry Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
An aluminum jon type is ideal, but you want something with close to a 15 degree deadrise or it's going to be a rough ride on choppy water.

I like my Seaark 1872 CC. It was a special order configured with none of the unnecessary options that you see on the dealer lots. I have 4 Driftmaster bases spaced from bow to stern on each side and an aluminum arch across the back that will allow 6 rod holders to be screwed in for trolling.

I previously had a G3 that I was less than impressed with, but the lack of maintenance by the previous owner on both boat and motor contributed heavily to that. I have a preference for a center console simply because it's easier to move to either side to fish.

2015 Seaark 1872 MV CC Etec-90
Two Helix 12 CHIRP SI's, , MinnKota Riptide ST80/i-pilot Link, Bob's Hydraulic
2020 Robalo R200 CC, Yamaha 150

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Re: Ultimate catfishing boat [Re: livemusic] #11715591 07/10/16 11:12 PM
M
Muzzlebrake Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M

Last edited by Muzzlebrake; 07/10/16 11:13 PM.

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the earth."

Then He made the earth round...and He laughed and laughed and laughed!

Re: Ultimate catfishing boat [Re: Bob Landry] #11716176 07/11/16 11:52 AM
L
livemusic Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted By: Bob Landry
An aluminum jon type is ideal, but you want something with close to a 15 degree deadrise or it's going to be a rough ride on choppy water.

I like my Seaark 1872 CC. It was a special order configured with none of the unnecessary options that you see on the dealer lots. I have 4 Driftmaster bases spaced from bow to stern on each side and an aluminum arch across the back that will allow 6 rod holders to be screwed in for trolling.

I previously had a G3 that I was less than impressed with, but the lack of maintenance by the previous owner on both boat and motor contributed heavily to that. I have a preference for a center console simply because it's easier to move to either side to fish.

Do you know top speed in the Sea Ark with 90hp and was it done with GPS?

Regarding the 1872 CC, what does "CC" stand for?

~~~
Bill
Re: Ultimate catfishing boat [Re: livemusic] #11716330 07/11/16 01:43 PM
B
Big Zee Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
If you fish rivers, you need to look at the metal gauge rating for the bottom of the boat. Like you said you got a lot of stumps, the bottom of the boat will hit some and slowly weaken a lesser gauge boat. You might want to look at the Sea Ark and G3 web site. My next boat will be a Sea Ark or G3. I've also learned if your running limb lines or jug lines, the side console is great but the center console is easier to move around in. My fishing buddy seems to miss jugs sometimes, I just grap them as we go by. You might also want to check out the Gator Trax boats. If your location is Louisiana, I would diffently check out Gator Trax.

Hebrews 11:1
Re: Ultimate catfishing boat [Re: Muzzlebrake] #11717850 07/12/16 02:45 AM
L
lowew79 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Originally Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Beautiful boat, and I've considered a 'toon, but how do you get down to the water to land your catch? Plus, all that stuff between the rails and you (couches and whatever)? Plus, all that leather and carpet and catfish mess, how do you deal with that?

Politicians are like diapers, they both need to be changed often, and for the same reason - Unknown
Re: Ultimate catfishing boat [Re: livemusic] #11718072 07/12/16 10:19 AM
J
jackiekennedyfishingguide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Boats like vehicles are a trade off, a Kia or Dodge 3/4 T diesel ain't for everyone. The more vee on the bottom the better it rides and the more water it drafts, the less the more stable and shallow water capabilities. Fiberglass or composite versus an aluminum, the areas you fish will dictate this. Most will reply from their experience with a couple of boats and the current one they have is simply the way to go. In the event someone has a boat sponsor that is the best, only, and greatest thing going. What works for one may not work so well for others. Jets work great in shallow water and where underwater structure may ruin a prop, but jets put out about 60% of rated HP compared to a prop. Sand is a big problem with jets.
The boat you show in the first picture will most likely work fine as dual purpose bass/catfish rig. wouldn't work for me because I need more room and less deck. Any combo boat like a fish&ski will do a little of both but neither good.
Nearly all aluminum boat will break sooner or later and require welding, that goes with the territory just as glass boat will rip or tear and require fiberglass repair of the bottom or jell coat.
Good luck in your search and most don't get the first boat correct, you will soon want bigger, wider, faster, more economical, or out from under the payments.

903-603-3793
Clients or I have landed eight state record fish and eighteen water body records.
TPWD Elite Angler
[Linked Image]
jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Ultimate catfishing boat [Re: livemusic] #11718252 07/12/16 01:35 PM
M
Muzzlebrake Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
The problem with aluminum boats now days is finding one that the hull is made from a full 1/8" think aluminum and not .090 or .100 thick aluminum alloy which is usually very brittle and won't take much abuse before cracking especially at welds and corners. I was lucky to find an older Tracker Avalanche and this thing is built like a battleship and heavy, rides like a heavy old Ranger boat. The newer Bass Trackers won't even take rough open water without cracking from the inside out. A 24ft center console Willie boat Fusion would be one of my picks if not for the $$$. These are another battleship constructed aluminum boat. Shallow water V-bottom made for abuse with .190 hull thickness.
http://www.willieboats.com/boats/power-boats/fuzion/

Last edited by Muzzlebrake; 07/12/16 01:37 PM.

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the earth."

Re: Ultimate catfishing boat [Re: lowew79] #11718257 07/12/16 01:40 PM
M
Muzzlebrake Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: lowew79

Beautiful boat, and I've considered a 'toon, but how do you get down to the water to land your catch? Plus, all that stuff between the rails and you (couches and whatever)? Plus, all that leather and carpet and catfish mess, how do you deal with that?

You use this boat to tow the other fishing boat around while cooking hambugers on the grill and drinking those little umbrella drinks and smoking $25 cigars smile If you can afford this boat you can hire some deck hands to do all that other stuff.

Last edited by Muzzlebrake; 07/12/16 01:42 PM.

Re: Ultimate catfishing boat [Re: Muzzlebrake] #11718267 07/12/16 01:47 PM
L
lowew79 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Originally Posted By: lowew79

You use this boat to tow the other fishing boat around while cooking hambugers on the grill and drinking those little umbrella drinks and smoking $25 cigars smile If you can afford this boat you can hire some deck hands to do all that other stuff.

I see a lot of bass boats that float around that price.

Politicians are like diapers, they both need to be changed often, and for the same reason - Unknown
Re: Ultimate catfishing boat [Re: livemusic] #11718367 07/12/16 02:32 PM
ðŸ€El Gato Azul🀠Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
My vote is for the Sea Hunt bx24 with the Yamaha 300 but I'm a lake fisherman

There is a fine line between fishing and floating around like an idiot!!
texas Check out out my YouTube channel El Gato Azul TV texas
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg0aV-uOxzxKxeqFFfREzKg
âš“ï¸âš“ï¸âš“ï¸âš“ï¸ Home of little boys holding big catfish! âš“ï¸âš“ï¸âš“ï¸âš“ï¸
Re: Ultimate catfishing boat [Re: livemusic] #11718370 07/12/16 02:32 PM
B
Big Sam Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
CC stands for center console for the person that asked. smile

If it ain't broke don't fix it...but go ahead and work on it anyway.....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide