Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Lewisville Blues #11383393 02/01/16 02:37 PM
Flipside Outdoors Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
I'm still new to this blue catfishing and I've only had one good outing so far. I went out yesterday and caught a bunch of bait (another problem I've been having is not being able to catch bait, but I think that is solved now) and then went to several spots. The first spot I tried is the spot I lucked into blues in November which is in the little elm branch in timber 35ft deep. I've tried this spot now 3 times unsuccessfully but my buddies are insistent that we try it for 30mins to an hour every time we go out now because of the one good trip. We ended up just getting 1 nice white bass from this spot and then moved on. The second spot was on the edge of a dropoff still in the little elm branch towards the north side. I picked this spot because the wind had been blowing out of the south for several days and everything I've been reading says find wind blown structure. We marked a ton of baitfish here and what looked like to me to be scattered fish all over the drop off. We fished here for about an hour and realized that it was all white bass. We moved to another stump we saw nearby sticking out of 35ft but there were no channels or structure near it and I only gave that spot 10mins. We then resigned to just fishing for white bass and caught some of the biggest whites I've ever caught.

Now my question is this. How the hell do I find blues instead of whites. I was running low on daylight otherwise I would have tried more spots. It seemed every spot I picked we just caught whites. I have a humminbird 898 so I have SI but I can't tell what species of fish I'm looking at. Most of the fish we passed over on the drop offs where suspended about 20ft-30ft down in 40ft of water. They didn't looked schooled up to me, but very scattered all over the drop off so I figured they might be catfish. Any vague hints as to what area of the lake I should be looking in for blues would be greatly appreciated as right now I'm clueless.

Flipside Outdoors - High quality, affordable tungsten weights
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Lewisville Blues [Re: Flipside Outdoors] #11383460 02/01/16 03:10 PM
F
Fishin' Nut Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Early morning, look for the cormorants roosting in the trees north of of Little Elm boat ramp. Approach slowly and quietly and stop about 20 feet from the tree. Have a large bobber and two feet underneath it a non weighted hook baited with raw bacon or Bar S hotdog. Cast as close to the trunk as possible. The idea is to lob the bait so that the bobber makes a splat when it hits the water. Blues think a bird just pooped breakfast and will grab the bait.

Originally Posted by OTFF
He is truly a sick individual.
Re: Lewisville Blues [Re: Flipside Outdoors] #11384088 02/01/16 07:41 PM
B
BADLANDER Offline
Angler
Angler
B
1.STUDY your 898 (watch Side imaging videos .. a bunch of them from diff people) set it up correctly.
2. leave your buddies at home and spend the whole day cruising and graphing.
3 I use my SI only out to 120 ft as my fav setting
then click to mt DI to look at the colors of the fish head that solid red shows a Blue cats MUG.
4. next time you graph tons of fish snap the still pic to compare to your catch, You will eventually kno what you are looking at.
I have been out with a guides to watch them read the graph and use to my advantage, yeah we hammered the fish but my main objective was to learn.
Just my 2 cents. I have several double digits and have never had to go passed the cut.http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XnfHKDbfgYc

Last edited by Lewisvillan; 02/03/16 04:41 AM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide