Print Thread
When you can't find them stacked try drifting #11650255 06/06/16 06:16 PM
C
Chris Richardson Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
C
I ran a charter on Richland Chambers Saturday for Guaranteed and one on Cedar Creek Sunday. Saturday we limited on white bass and even caught a couple keeper hybrids over on Chambers. Sunday we struggled for a while to find active fish but turned the corner about 9:30 and smoked the hybrids on lures with the largest measuring 26 and 3/8.

When the fish are spread out and its difficult to find large stacks of fish on structure (as it usually is on Cedar Creek when lots of water is rolling in and the gates are open) its a good strategy to fish on drift. We attempted to spot lock on isolated fish for a couple of hours with poor results. When this happens I like to find a large structure that lines up well with the wind direction and drift the edges for as long as possible. Heavier slabs that drop quickly work well for this technique because they don't kite out as far behind the boat.

Re: When you can't find them stacked try drifting [Re: Chris Richardson] #11650412 06/06/16 07:38 PM
S
SeaPro-Todd Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
I think drifting is a great idea, Chris. Been doing spot locks on hubbard. Small waves under the boat and they don't stay long at all! Did you try the splasher? Michael did that on Conroe and man the hibbie grouped up good.

Re: When you can't find them stacked try drifting [Re: Chris Richardson] #11650574 06/06/16 09:16 PM
C
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
C
Try the drift Todd. I think you'll find it effective.

and this splasher thing sounds like nonsense haha loco

Re: When you can't find them stacked try drifting [Re: Chris Richardson] #11650694 06/06/16 10:13 PM
C
chrisc/striper express guide service Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Drift fishing is the way...all this spot lock [censored] is the new thing,up at big T been drifting since the beginning smile I love drift fishing and it drives me nuts when guys anchor/spot lock in my drift line but hey what can ya do its public water smile nice fish!

Lake Texoma Striper Guide Chris Carey

Re: When you can't find them stacked try drifting [Re: Chris Richardson] #11650814 06/06/16 11:12 PM
J
justchillin Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Good job !! Saw you guys out on Sunday at Cedar Creek. I was in the pontoon not far from you out from Star Harbor around the same time. I saw you catching fish and wondered what I was doing wrong because I could not catch nothing. You guys were jigging the heck out of those slabs. Tried slabs for a little bit to no avail and finally just give up. I could not find any stacked up fish either.

Re: When you can't find them stacked try drifting [Re: Chris Richardson] #11651723 06/07/16 01:18 PM
S
SeaPro-Todd Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
LOL never heard of the splasher either. The bigT and now twok and Conroe guides are a bit loco

ChrisC, I've fished with ya on bigT and consider you the king Drifter!!! Lol. Us hubbard guys are so spoiled. We like to hunt for grouped fish to spotlock and catch da heck out of em before calling buddies over. Lol. But the past two years with high water, they roam more than stay put. So drift makes sense. Did drift a bit Sunday but the wind was high and too lazy to swap to larger slabs but did catch a few drifting with the help of the TM for speed control. Good info are being shared on TFF...gota love it! thumb cheers

Re: When you can't find them stacked try drifting [Re: Chris Richardson] #11652283 06/07/16 05:29 PM
T
Tx Tree Grower Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I had plans on going to Cedar Creek on Sunday but things didn't work out. Ended up going to RC Sunday evening instead because it is 30 minutes closer. Was a tough afternoon for me. Tried to find some shad for about an hour with no luck. Never did find fish grouped up on the main part of the lake. It was to late to head up the creek arms so we ended up drifting pelican and picking up a few scattered white bass. Was a pretty tough afternoon outing. Probably would have been better off just staying at home.

Re: When you can't find them stacked try drifting [Re: Chris Richardson] #11652421 06/07/16 06:43 PM
S
striper101 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
Great post! It's nice to see someone sharing a little knowledge with the class!! Thanks for the advice, and nice fish!

Re: When you can't find them stacked try drifting [Re: chrisc/striper express guide service] #11655152 06/08/16 08:56 PM
C
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
C
Originally Posted By: justchillin
Good job !! Saw you guys out on Sunday at Cedar Creek. I was in the pontoon not far from you out from Star Harbor around the same time. I saw you catching fish and wondered what I was doing wrong because I could not catch nothing. You guys were jigging the heck out of those slabs. Tried slabs for a little bit to no avail and finally just give up. I could not find any stacked up fish either.

Yes sir that was us! The fishing was pretty tough Sunday.

Originally Posted By: chrisc/striper express guide service
Drift fishing is the way...all this spot lock [censored] is the new thing,up at big T been drifting since the beginning smile I love drift fishing and it drives me nuts when guys anchor/spot lock in my drift line but hey what can ya do its public water smile nice fish!

Drifting has always been one of my favorite techniques on big open water lakes with large structures. I use spotlock on smaller lakes or isolated small structures. I know what you mean with people posting up on your drift line though. That kind of stuff will get you a good old fashion scolding from the old salts.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide