Print Thread
Help me understand this a little better. #10924663 06/18/15 04:11 AM
D
Duckcreek Davy Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
The following occurred at my Uncles farm the other day. The farm is located just outside the town of Sadler in Grayson county.

Anyways the recent rains caused Mustang creek to go way out of it's banks like so many other waterways in North Texas. The floodwaters played the devil with his fence down in the bottom land of the farm, so a friend was down there working on the fence when he heard a lot of splashing in the creek. He told Uncle Art there were a bunch of big fish in the creek. My uncle figured they were carp and gar because that's all he thought ever made it up this far in the Mustang. He went down there about 2 days later and walked up on a pool that had between 40-50 dead stripers in it. He said they ranged in size from 2 - 5 lbs are so. Now is it common for stripers to make it this far up a creek after the spawn? Could some still be spawning? in a normal year this creek doesn't flow all the time, but it does have steep deep banks that would hold a lot of water in a flood. Why do you think they died so quickly. Can you imagine how many must have been up there that didn't get landlocked and made it back to Texoma. Below is a google maps page placed on the area the creek runs through I'm talking about. From there it flows about 4 miles to the Hagerman and into the Big Mineral arm.
Mustang Creek

Dave Morris

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson,
Re: Help me understand this a little better. [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #10924707 06/18/15 04:38 AM
C
CrappieAddict Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Water got too hot on a few sunny days before the current rain and zapped all of the oxygen out of the water along with the oxygen use of the fish if they were in a small enough water hole? End of their life cycle? Weather conditions determine the spawn so it is possible they held off as long as they could. Could also be the equivalent of a lake turning over with or without the rain?

Is it possible to do something your whole life and still be an ameteur?
Re: Help me understand this a little better. [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #10924760 06/18/15 05:40 AM
D
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
Yeah, good point. Also a fair amount of rotting plant material in the water too robbing oxygen.

Dave Morris

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson,
Re: Help me understand this a little better. [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #10927092 06/19/15 02:26 AM
C
CrappieAddict Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
That's a good point. I forgot about how much vegetation and trees are in the water now. When certain plants are submerged/stressed like that, some release or give off chemicals that become harmful to residents of the water.

Is it possible to do something your whole life and still be an ameteur?
Re: Help me understand this a little better. [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #10927245 06/19/15 03:33 AM
D
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
Here's my favorite website regarding such things.
Auquaplant
It's very educational.

Dave Morris

Re: Help me understand this a little better. [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #10927713 06/19/15 01:36 PM
TIM CLINE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Stripers will run way up the major creeks on texoma when there is current! Many of the stripers that washed thru the dam still have not spawned. I cleaned two last weekend with green eggs like she was just now ready and another with a big sack of yellow eggs.

Re: Help me understand this a little better. [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #10928131 06/19/15 04:14 PM
B
BridgeportGuide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
A similar story....Back in the 80's there was a great population of Walleye here. There was a BIG flood in 89 or so. The Walleye followed their instincts and went with the flow of the spillway. Our biologist got a "You have to see this" call. He went to a deep hole three miles below the spillway and found 5-8 thousand dead Walleye (2-8 pounds) in the pool. He was just sick about it.

Re: Help me understand this a little better. [Re: TIM CLINE] #10928920 06/19/15 09:55 PM
D
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: TIM CLINE
Stripers will run way up the major creeks on texoma when there is current! Many of the stripers that washed thru the dam still have not spawned. I cleaned two last weekend with green eggs like she was just now ready and another with a big sack of yellow eggs.

Well I'll Be. I'm surprised to hear that.

Dave Morris

Re: Help me understand this a little better. [Re: BridgeportGuide] #10928921 06/19/15 09:55 PM
D
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: BridgeportGuide
A similar story....Back in the 80's there was a great population of Walleye here. There was a BIG flood in 89 or so. The Walleye followed their instincts and went with the flow of the spillway. Our biologist got a "You have to see this" call. He went to a deep hole three miles below the spillway and found 5-8 thousand dead Walleye (2-8 pounds) in the pool. He was just sick about it.

What a terrible loss.

Dave Morris

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide