Print Thread
Light Rod & Reel Suggestions #11423559 02/18/16 10:52 PM
C
Cole P Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Howdy y'all, I would like to get more serious about sunfish fishing and would like to hear your opinions on the subject. I'm not afraid to spend some money on good gear so price isn't too much of a factor within reason. I mostly jig or drop shot for sunfish if that makes a difference. Thanks y'all, Cole.

Cole Porter

Private Water Fishing
P: (214) 871-0044
C: (214) 460-7630
E: cporter@privatewaterfishing
E: info@privatewaterfishing
Re: Light Rod & Reel Suggestions [Re: Cole P] #11423594 02/18/16 11:08 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
First of all welcome Cole to the Texas Fishing Forum. Glad to have you on board and looking forward to reading more of your post. cheers As for sunfish fishing, nothing beats it. You do not have to spend much money getting started. I have always kept it very simple. I use the Shakespeare Ugly Stick Combo (UL) with six pound test line. A size six hook with a size five shot. I do not drop shot but have friends who do and they usually out fish me. I also use a small light float under certain condition such as a rough bottom or fish being suspended. I use live night crawlers 95 percent of the time while fishing for sunfish. Where ever a spot looks good I throw a worm at it. Read about the different types of sunfish and learn their habits. The more you fish for them the better you will get. It takes time to really be able to get the big ones but you can pick up the patterns pretty fast. Again the more you fish for them the better you will get. There are a lot of super anglers who post here and you will get a lot of very good advice. Take the advice and develop a style that will work for you. fish

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Light Rod & Reel Suggestions [Re: Cole P] #11424142 02/19/16 03:09 AM
J
jagg Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
How do you fish? Bait or lures or both? Where do you fish? Big lakes, little lakes, ponds, big rivers, small rivers, creeks or streams? What part of TX? The more info you give, the better we can help you.

Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and all that is within me,
bless His Holy Name!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBzsXYK-44H5uEUe3WXjmLg
Re: Light Rod & Reel Suggestions [Re: Cole P] #11424544 02/19/16 12:07 PM
J
J-Moe Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
I use short ultralight rods in the creeks. I often throw a single 1/32 ounce jig. I have an ugly stik and it works fine. My friend has a Quantum xtra-light 5 foot rod that works better. It has a moderate acting tip vs. a fast acting tip. He can toss a single jig further than I can. I use the smallest Pflueger President spinning reel with my ultra light rod. Maximum of 6 lb. test.

Re: Light Rod & Reel Suggestions [Re: Cole P] #11424724 02/19/16 02:20 PM
J
JigandJeep Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I like the little 5' Ugly Stick. Fits in the back seat of my small car and is easy to carry through the woods when creek fishing. one little reel that I've been really liking for the value is this mitchell avocet IV 500UL. You can get it on overstockbait.com for under $20 and it performs really well in my opinion. I switch between 6 lb. hi vis mono and 6 or 8 lb. flouro. If I was forced to get rid of all my other rigs and choose one, I wouldn't have to think too long about it.

Re: Light Rod & Reel Suggestions [Re: Cole P] #11424751 02/19/16 02:29 PM
A
Action_Jackson Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Shakespeare ultra light(I prefer shorter rods) with 4lb test line and a #6 or #8 hook should do the trick! Wax worms, crickets, or night crawlers will get ya bit!

Katchin krappie...doin surgeries(filleting)...and givin hott grease baths until krunchy and golden brown is what it's all about!!!

"STAY ready for the THUMP"!!!!
Re: Light Rod & Reel Suggestions [Re: Cole P] #11425111 02/19/16 05:21 PM
K
kdub#1 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I picked up a tfo 7 ft med light. Love it for gills, crappie, and sandies.

Re: Light Rod & Reel Suggestions [Re: Cole P] #11425391 02/19/16 07:30 PM
L
Laker One Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
L
Love my Bass Pro UL series 5' rod. Can't beat it.

Side Note: Using the fly rod more on the sunfish!

Re: Light Rod & Reel Suggestions [Re: Cole P] #11426627 02/20/16 10:10 AM
J
jagg Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
For a good "all around" rod I would go with either a Bass Pro Micro Lite Graphite rod 6' Light Fast action or the St Croix Panfish Series 6' UL fast action. Both are 1 piece construction and are Taylor made for jigging and other "feel" presentations. The BPS rod is a great rod for the money ($50 or less when they are on sale). The St croix rod is built with better components and really seems to have been built by panfisherman for panfisherman.

I tend to fish a longer rod than most on this board. I use to fish a 4'6" Ugly Stik Lite and really liked it, but found that when I was missing more and more fish. I was still getting bites but was missing them on the hookset. If I was making longer casts, especially casts helped by a tailwind, I found myself missing more fish. So, I went back to basics and figured a longer rod was going to get me greater leverage for hooksets. Especially on bites further away. That's indeed what happened. What I found out is with a little practice, the 6' rod can do everything the shorter rods can do and more. Even on creek banks with the thickest brush the 6' rod is plenty compact enough to get the job done. What the 6' rod does that the shorter rods don't do is offer more techniques (pitching more than a 4' radius comes to mind) and also offers more angles to fish and better control for your presentation. It's not AS critical when fishing with bait, but even with bait, I'll take every advantage I can get when fishing for these tricky guys. Another factor for my favoring the longer rods is I'm often fishing clearer waters so longer casts and pitches are a must. Hope this helps.

Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and all that is within me,
bless His Holy Name!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBzsXYK-44H5uEUe3WXjmLg
Re: Light Rod & Reel Suggestions [Re: jagg] #11427881 02/21/16 03:07 AM
J
JigandJeep Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
This is some pretty good advice in my opinion. Love the smaller ULs, but the arguments for the longer rod are something to really consider. I think OP is going to end up with a few different rigs.
Originally Posted By: jagg
For a good "all around" rod I would go with either a Bass Pro Micro Lite Graphite rod 6' Light Fast action or the St Croix Panfish Series 6' UL fast action. Both are 1 piece construction and are Taylor made for jigging and other "feel" presentations. The BPS rod is a great rod for the money ($50 or less when they are on sale). The St croix rod is built with better components and really seems to have been built by panfisherman for panfisherman.

I tend to fish a longer rod than most on this board. I use to fish a 4'6" Ugly Stik Lite and really liked it, but found that when I was missing more and more fish. I was still getting bites but was missing them on the hookset. If I was making longer casts, especially casts helped by a tailwind, I found myself missing more fish. So, I went back to basics and figured a longer rod was going to get me greater leverage for hooksets. Especially on bites further away. That's indeed what happened. What I found out is with a little practice, the 6' rod can do everything the shorter rods can do and more. Even on creek banks with the thickest brush the 6' rod is plenty compact enough to get the job done. What the 6' rod does that the shorter rods don't do is offer more techniques (pitching more than a 4' radius comes to mind) and also offers more angles to fish and better control for your presentation. It's not AS critical when fishing with bait, but even with bait, I'll take every advantage I can get when fishing for these tricky guys. Another factor for my favoring the longer rods is I'm often fishing clearer waters so longer casts and pitches are a must. Hope this helps.

Re: Light Rod & Reel Suggestions [Re: Cole P] #11443378 02/27/16 05:54 PM
H
Hooky_Looky Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
H
Use hotdogs for sunfish. Cheaper than worms.

Re: Light Rod & Reel Suggestions [Re: Cole P] #11445704 02/29/16 12:20 AM
D
drrouter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Tiny Deadbolt & St. Crois Triumph - best $100 combo you can buy.

Re: Light Rod & Reel Suggestions [Re: Cole P] #11520070 04/04/16 04:06 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Cole P
Howdy y'all, I would like to get more serious about sunfish fishing and would like to hear your opinions on the subject. I'm not afraid to spend some money on good gear so price isn't too much of a factor within reason. I mostly jig or drop shot for sunfish if that makes a difference. Thanks y'all, Cole.

I am a jig only kind of guy. I use Boneheads, light action, strong back bone, fast action tip, very sensitive...every length on panfish...love them! $100 per rod....Go buy 2, in different lengths (make sure one of them is a 7 ft one piece or 8 ft two piece), then put Shimano reels on them for about the same price as a St Croix rod/reel setup.

I use Shimano Reels exclusively, at least 4 ball bearings...$60 to 200, Best value on the market...you pay more, but you get much more...you can buy cheaper, or you can pay more, but you just can't get a better reel, for the money. Don't mess with the two handled versions. I used to go through cheap reels like they were going out of style, and have tried cheap reels that folks recommended on here...they just won't last...I usually end up giving my old shimanos away in good working condition to friends that bought cheap reels(that broke), when I buy new/upgraded reels. Cheap reels are terrible about line twist/tangles, as well. I usually wait until businesses mark down the Shimanos, then go replace a couple every year. I have had some of my Shimano's over a decade(prior to giving them away), and normally don't even clean them, but I use the heck out of them.

A good cheap rod, is the Shakepeare Micro series, $20
Shimano reel...At least 4 ball bearings...Sedona/Sonora level and above.

You can buy the Ugly Stick combos on the cheap and when the reel craps out, buy a Shimano reel...Budget buy! Ugly sticks are not very sensitive, but they are durable! When using an ugly stick, keep your finger on the line to help detect bites, and/or use light pound braid.

Re: Light Rod & Reel Suggestions [Re: Cole P] #11521769 04/04/16 11:03 PM
G
Gitter Done Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
G
Ugly stick combo!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide