Print Thread
Photo enlargement help #11451870 03/02/16 07:14 PM
T
Trebor Neil Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
T
Have an older (1955 ?) photo, home camera, showing about 25 people, actually quite clear, size is 2 1/2" x 3", I would like to enlarge it to better show faces, with todays technology is that possible ?
Tried the computer programs I have, results not worth it.

You bettcha!
[Linked Image]
oofta!
Re: Photo enlargement help [Re: Trebor Neil] #11453969 03/03/16 05:21 PM
B
Blue Moon Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Trebor Neil
Have an older (1955 ?) photo, home camera, showing about 25 people, actually quite clear, size is 2 1/2" x 3", I would like to enlarge it to better show faces, with todays technology is that possible ?
Tried the computer programs I have, results not worth it.

Even if you don't have the original negative of the image, there are a multitude of companies that provide photo enlargement and restoration services that can create an enlargement. The process involves creating a very high resolution digital image of the original photo.

If the hard copy of the photo is loose and not permanently glued into a non-accessible photo album, companies that offer this service most often scan the original photo at very high resolution and use Photoshop to restore and properly size the image before creating the new enlarged print. All scanned photos will require some level of photo restoration and retouch during this process.

Here are a few examples of sizes that can be created from a 2x3 photo. Scanning at 300 dpi will allow the image to be enlarged up to 6x9, scanning at 800 dpi will allow prints up to 16x24 and scanning at 1200 dpi will allow the image to be printed up to 24x36. Results vary based on the quality of the original photo and the Photoshop skills of the person doing the restoration and sizing. Professionally upsizing any image requires special knowledge and skill.

Often old photos are glued into book style family photo albums that dont allow pages to be removed. In those cases scanning is not advised as removing the photo could cause damage to the photo. In this scenario the high resolution digital image is created by taking a photo of the original image. For professional results its best to use a service that specializes in this process.

For success, it requires a talented professional photographer to use studio lights and a tripod that holds the high resolution camera in perfect alignment to the image. For the best results, the camera must have an optically perfect professional lens attached thats capable of sharp edge to edge focus. Standard and even prosumer lenses are not suitable to capture the level of detail required for this process. Focus is critical and most often accomplished using LiveView mode zoomed in 10x while remotely monitoring on a large monitor before the shot is taken. The shutter is also remotely triggered with the mirror up. A grey card is shot for color balance and often a series of shots are bracketed to allow for stacking in Photoshop if necessary.

While any of the large photo service bureaus can do this for you, often the best results come from companies that specialize in reproducing original artwork into prints since artists are most critical of results as their collectors expect perfection when paying big money for limited edition signed prints.

Back when I was shooting film, for many years I used BWC in Dallas, now Richardson. For the last decade or so I've done my own digital work and printing in studio so I rarely use them anymore, however I suspect they would likely do a good job for you on this but you could find a multitude of other companies and perhaps one closer to you. Google similar companies and check reviews.

Good luck,

Blue Moon

Re: Photo enlargement help [Re: Trebor Neil] #11454190 03/03/16 06:56 PM
T
Trebor Neil Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
T
Blue Moon,

Many thanks

Will follow your advice