Please help- Ray Hubbard/Lavon #10881684 05/29/15 09:58 PM
C
crumrw Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Hi guys,

So I've had my little jon boat for a few years now. Only had a 3.5 hp motor on it, so I used to only fish tied up to the GB pilings after launching at Chaha at Ray Hubbard. Every now and then I could get on some cats using cut shad, and minnows. The thing is though I want to catch crappie and whites/stripers/hybrids. This year my wife's grandpa gave me his old 15hp ted Williams motor and I finally got her up and running. I've put some time into the boat getting a bow mount made up for the trolling motor, installed some decks and even got a fish finder (Lowrance Mark-4 dsi). I've been taking my boat out for the last few weekends, and can read the finder fairly well, but I've come to the conclusion that I really know nothing about how to fish from a boat. I'll drift out into the areas where I remember seeing trees when the water was low and I can easily spot them on the finder, but when I try circling back to them I can't seem to find them again. Also, on occasion when I can get over some structure I can't ever seem to get any fishing done because I'm working so hard trying to stay in the same place.

Do I need to anchor? How do you do this without spooking fish? Is there a trick to trolling? Should I just tie off to structure sticking above the water? Am I looking in the right spots? I've fished Hubbard for 4 years and have yet to catch a crappie. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Re: Please help- Ray Hubbard/Lavon [Re: crumrw] #10881801 05/29/15 10:52 PM
H
Hickory Nut Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
H
The first thing I would do is get some marker buoys. When you see structure on the finder, pitch the marker 4 to 6 feet up wind of the structure, then use your trolling motor fishing into the wind and use the marker as a reference. If you flip the jig three feet to the right of the marker and get bit, you now have an idea of where they are. I have found in the summer, it may take a few minutes to get them started to biting, but after fifteen minutes with no bite it is time to keep looking. Hope this helps.

Re: Please help- Ray Hubbard/Lavon [Re: crumrw] #10881817 05/29/15 10:59 PM
Tommy Ezell Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Limited last week on Hubbard then had to go out of town. Hope their still biting or better yet I hope all the ramps don't close due to high water.

I like your post.. A little to much to explain you'll just have to experience a basic day. I don't know your availability or mine for that matter but if you pm me and we can get our schedules lined out with mother nature I'll offer you an open seat.

fish

Re: Please help- Ray Hubbard/Lavon [Re: Tommy Ezell] #10881850 05/29/15 11:17 PM
T
tboxfish Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Tommy Ezell
Limited last week on Hubbard then had to go out of town. Hope their still biting or better yet I hope all the ramps don't close due to high water.

I like your post.. A little to much to explain you'll just have to experience a basic day. I don't know your availability or mine for that matter but if you pm me and we can get our schedules lined out with mother nature I'll offer you an open seat.

fish

Great Gesture Tommy thumb

Take him up on this, you'll have fun and learn even more cheers

Todd Box
THERMOCLINE LURES
"Helping YOU catch MORE & LARGER fish!"
www.thermoclinelures.com/shop

Todd's Crappie Tutorial Trips
Cell 903-588-0129
Re: Please help- Ray Hubbard/Lavon [Re: crumrw] #10881870 05/29/15 11:25 PM
F
Fishbonz Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: crumrw
Hi guys,

So I've had my little jon boat for a few years now. Only had a 3.5 hp motor on it, so I used to only fish tied up to the GB pilings after launching at Chaha at Ray Hubbard. Every now and then I could get on some cats using cut shad, and minnows. The thing is though I want to catch crappie and whites/stripers/hybrids. This year my wife's grandpa gave me his old 15hp ted Williams motor and I finally got her up and running. I've put some time into the boat getting a bow mount made up for the trolling motor, installed some decks and even got a fish finder (Lowrance Mark-4 dsi). I've been taking my boat out for the last few weekends, and can read the finder fairly well, but I've come to the conclusion that I really know nothing about how to fish from a boat. I'll drift out into the areas where I remember seeing trees when the water was low and I can easily spot them on the finder, but when I try circling back to them I can't seem to find them again. Also, on occasion when I can get over some structure I can't ever seem to get any fishing done because I'm working so hard trying to stay in the same place.

Do I need to anchor? How do you do this without spooking fish? Is there a trick to trolling? Should I just tie off to structure sticking above the water? Am I looking in the right spots? I've fished Hubbard for 4 years and have yet to catch a crappie. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
PM sent to you

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: Please help- Ray Hubbard/Lavon [Re: tboxfish] #10882114 05/30/15 01:00 AM
C
cellis Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
C
Originally Posted By: tboxfish
Originally Posted By: Tommy Ezell

fish

Great Gesture Tommy thumb

Take him up on this, you'll have fun and learn even more cheers

Wow! Take Tommy up on that offer.

Re: Please help- Ray Hubbard/Lavon [Re: crumrw] #10882412 05/30/15 02:46 AM
C
crumrw Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Wow guys, thank you for the advice. What a great community. Tommy, thank you for the offer, and I'd love to go along with you and get some pointers! I'll pm you, and hopefully we can't get something lined up. Again, thank you for the gesture.

Re: Please help- Ray Hubbard/Lavon [Re: crumrw] #10882516 05/30/15 03:34 AM
T
Tom Englert Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Tommy is one of the few Hubbard guys that will share! It seems to be a pretty tight lipped group. He gave me a few tips and it totally changed the game for me on Hubbard. It definitely got me out from under the bridges.

PM me anytime and I will share what I know about the lake.

Tom

Re: Please help- Ray Hubbard/Lavon [Re: crumrw] #10885832 05/31/15 11:11 PM
C
crumrw Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Thanks Tom. Will do.

Re: Please help- Ray Hubbard/Lavon [Re: crumrw] #10885848 05/31/15 11:17 PM
Jacob Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
You need to buy the Crappie 101 DVD. If a picture is worth a thousand words, a video is worth a billion.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide