Page 1 of 2 1 2
4 Dog Questions #12616495 02/08/18 09:22 AM
D
DallasCB4 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
I have been considering buying another dog. I already have a chihuahua mix 20lbs of pure demon. Anyways I want a Rottweiler. I am wondering if anyone has experience with them?
Things I want to know

Question #1 Are they friendly with other dogs? I want it to get along with my chi/mix even tho the chi/mix may hate him at first because he has had zero contact with other dogs and goes insane when he sees another dog

Question #2 Are they easy to train?

Question #3 Will they be too aggressive? I want it to protect but at the same time get along with family, friends, and other dogs. That way I can actually go to dog parks and on walks without worrying if my dog will try to lunge/attack someone for once

Question #4 What kind of Rottweiler is in photo #1?

I asked Question #4 because I want to know if there are different types of Rotts, im going to attach a few pictures so everyone will have a better understanding of what I am talking about

1st photo, this the type of Rott I want lean, lots of brown color, and face also has no wrinkles. Perfect in my opinion. Is this a pup? if so please refer to question on photo #3

2nd photo, just another angle of a similar dog with the same characteristics that I like of course. notice round snout like in photo #1

3rd photo, now this is where I have questions, why is this Rotts head so big and more pudgy? If you look closely it looks like a pug on roids. I do not like face but body looks great. If the first Rott is a pup, will it turn out looking like this as an adult?

4th photo, This is about 95% of Rotts I see. Obviously not lean, more wrinkles around neck, loose skin which makes it look shorter, and pudgy snout. Also not much distinct brown on its face. is this a senior dog?

5th photo, A side view of head and curved/pudgy snout that I DO NOT prefer. Snout to long, makes face look small

Re: 4 Dog Questions [Re: DallasCB4] #12616529 02/08/18 12:00 PM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
In a nutshell, there is no way a rottweiler will provide what you want, sorry. Most are mean and I know I wouldn't ever trust them.

😎 Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions 😎

Re: 4 Dog Questions [Re: DallasCB4] #12616545 02/08/18 12:14 PM
Bandit 200 XP Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
We use to have Rottie's and they were just like little kids. I still miss Rowdy.

Triton 200 XP
200 Yamaha 0X66
Re: 4 Dog Questions [Re: DallasCB4] #12616553 02/08/18 12:28 PM
T
Tallgrass05 Offline
bill maher's protege
bill maher's protege
T
You can always get a DNA test of the dog you're interested in to see what it really is.

Re: 4 Dog Questions [Re: DallasCB4] #12616556 02/08/18 12:31 PM
don the angler Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
My son works for Travelers insurance & they will not sell a homeowners policy if a Rottweiler lives in the home.

Re: 4 Dog Questions [Re: DallasCB4] #12616590 02/08/18 01:02 PM
M
MBarger Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Rots are usually on the "dangerous breed list" so as said above can run into issues with homeowner policies. If you ever have to rent a place it would be next to impossible to have that breed.
To answer your questions: I would be hesistant to put a large dog of any kind around that chihuahua especially if it has not been socialized. If the bigger dog feels challenged it may not be a good ending. On the flip side my aunt in law breeds rots and Chinese crested dogs. You wouldnt get those rots to take on a Chinese crested if you gave them a De Frisco's Ribeye.
Well socialized rots will be just fine with other dogs, etc. they are protective by nature. Early socialization is key.
I used to work at a veterinarians office and we had 2 very good rot breeders bring their dogs in constantly. (these would be AKC registered, very well trained, etc). I absolutely loved those dogs and never had a problem. Very cool personalities.
I think the first picture is a younger dog (probably 3-4) the rest I would say are older at different stages in life

Re: 4 Dog Questions [Re: don the angler] #12616592 02/08/18 01:05 PM
Pinkus Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: don the angler
My son works for Travelers insurance & they will not sell a homeowners policy if a Rottweiler lives in the home.

Same problem here with Dobermans, we finally found home owners at amica years ago... I used to have a rottie and I second that she was a big ol baby and the little dog still ran the yard even tho the rottie has 100 pounds on her.. my rottie thought she was a lap dog and was really smart, not always a good thing because she liked to get out of the fence and was creative with it.. she wouldnt leave the yard but still didnt like her out the fence..

Re: 4 Dog Questions [Re: DallasCB4] #12616613 02/08/18 01:27 PM
U
UGLYSHCTICK Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
U
I've only been around 2 rotties. they were big ol babies. Only way they would hurt you is leaning on you trying to get you to pet them.

Just want to make folks smile, and spit coffee on their keyboard.

If you put beans in your chili, you don't know beans about chili.

God doesn't create temporary people, you will spend eternity somewhere. Choose wisely.
Re: 4 Dog Questions [Re: DallasCB4] #12616657 02/08/18 02:01 PM
T
tsspencer2887 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
A business down the street from my office kept a rot and a pit in their yard. Every once in a while they would get out and I'd run across them while I was on my afternoon walk. They would both run up to me looking like holy terrors but I know well enough to stand my ground. As soon as they got to me, they'd jump and lick and run circles. When I'd start scratching either of them, they lean all their weight on me trying to get closer. Frightening looking dogs but sweet as honey. I've walked them back to their homes more than once.

I know a lot of guys on here prefer to skip the puppy stage, but in your case, I'd recommend getting a puppy. He'll grow up accustomed to the smaller dog and the smaller dog will have a chance to get used to him before he gets big enough to eat said small dog.

Re: 4 Dog Questions [Re: DallasCB4] #12616662 02/08/18 02:04 PM
RATZ Online Happy
Activity Coordinator
Online Happy
Activity Coordinator
socialize them early and you should be fine.

If God is your co-pilot then change seats

https://abaltcustomlures.com/

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: 4 Dog Questions [Re: DallasCB4] #12616834 02/08/18 03:15 PM
B
Big Hopper Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
We raised Rotties for years. The wife trained and showed them in AKC events and gained many titles on them. Including CD, CDX, Temperament Testing and then certified as a Therapy Dog. Since she had the Therapy Dog cert. she was allowed to take the dog to nursing homes, childrens events, etc. Sort of like what they call in broader terms now, a "Service Dog". (No, we didn't take them into McDonnalds just because we could. That's irresponsible)
If you're old enough to remember old time morning local TV, I have a picture of Mr. Peppermint (Jerry Haynes) with our large male Ceaser. They were at a benefit for children with cancer. Just down from where my wife and dog were stationed, they were giving away small ice cream cones. I can't tell you how many kids came just a little too close, and that "mean" dog took the opportunity to take a lick of their ice cream. Mom, "You can just let the doggie have the ice cream now". Good memories of a great dog. He was shown in AKC Obedience, and at the Nationals held here in Dallas one year, he took third place with 199 points out of 200 available. 1st Place had 200, Second Place had 199 1/2. The only time that he ever got angry, was when we were swimming in the pool. He would worry himself to death because he was sure that my daughters (about 5 to 6 years old) and I were not supposed to be in the water. He thought we were drowning and would do anything to save us.

We had several other Rotties over the years but he come to mind mostly. We've recently had a Labrador, and now a Border Collie. They're all good, but not a Rottie.

The best advice we can give, is that the breed is maligned much like Pitt Bulls (I have one of those too). THERE ARE APPARENTLY TWO LINES OF BREEDING. One is where the breeder wants a Bad A$$ dog for junkyard protection, or sale to gang members thugs and other nefarious people. YOU WANT TO SEARCH FOR THE BLOODLINE FROM FAMILY DOGS, AND TRAINING DOGS THAT HAVE TITLES AND PEDIGREE. Do not buy one from Trade days in Canton or Traders Village in GP for instance. Find a good reliable breeder. It will cost some $$$. But you can't afford to get the wrong dog. My wife still trains dog to this day, and the hardest part of dog training remains the part where you have to train the OWNER. Be responsible.

Good Luck

I'm glad there are wine drinkers in this world ..... it saves more beer for the rest of us.
Hopper
Re: 4 Dog Questions [Re: Tallgrass05] #12616841 02/08/18 03:22 PM
S
Scagnetti Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Tallgrass05
You can always get a DNA test of the dog you're interested in to see what it really is.

And make sure it has been home schooled in a Christian conservative family.

[Linked Image]

Re: 4 Dog Questions [Re: DallasCB4] #12616930 02/08/18 04:08 PM
Dfitz Offline
"Nice Guy"
"Nice Guy"
You don't sound like a good dog owner, maybe try improving your current dog before getting a new bigger and stronger one. Why is your chihuahua not socialized? Buying a dog just because of its looks or "badass" appearance without knowing how to control it will end up in a disaster. How a dog looks should come after you find a dog that has the correct personality for you, in this case, a family dog not a working dog.

I'm going to make the assumption you don't know anything about training a dog, expect to pay $3-4k just on obedience so you can take it on walks without being dragged around. The dog will need continued education after training by you to reinforce the training it learned. It will be meaner than s*!t if you don't continually socialize it. You won't be able to have people visit your house, the dog will think its job is to protect you from the "strangers". These are strong dogs, if it lunges at another dog when you are walking it, are you strong enough not to be pulled over?

Also, seems like you did 15 minutes of Google searches about Rotts and then decided to get your info from OT. I'm basing this on your opening post. My anecdotal evidence is that most Rotts are great dogs when they have great owners. But also one of the worst dogs if they have undisciplined owners. If you do decide to get one, do everyone in your life a favor, become a better dog owner.

Don't worry about the mule, just load the cart
[Linked Image]
Re: 4 Dog Questions [Re: DallasCB4] #12618071 02/09/18 02:45 AM
aquaholic1822 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I despise rotts. Got attacked by one when I was 10. Broke my wrist it bit down so hard

Last edited by aquaholic1822; 02/09/18 02:57 AM. Reason: 1shot grows cows

[Linked Image]
Re: 4 Dog Questions [Re: aquaholic1822] #12618086 02/09/18 02:50 AM
1ShotNoKills Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: aquaholic1822
I despise rotts. Got attacked by one when I was 10. Broke my wrist it but down so hard

Were you trying to fist it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide