Forums59
Topics1,037,829
Posts13,935,240
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ #8514530 01/29/13 05:23 AM
Jerry Hamon Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
Okay folks let's post up our ideas and suggestions here. This will help with the repetitive questions we see over and over.

Owner/Guide at River Crossing Guide Service

(214) 457-3407
revtcf@gmail.com
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8514573 01/29/13 05:59 AM
P
PayneFish Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
From paynespaddlefish.com

Kayak Fishing Etiquette 101: The Rules

If you are paddling near another kayaker, it is courteous to wave. Small talk is optional but almost always appreciated. If you are getting yes/no answers, say have a good day and keep paddling.

If you see someone catch a fish that you do not know, it is ok to congratulate them and engage in small talk. Again, yes/no answers mean keep moving. Do not paddle straight for them and crowd the location they are fishing.

When fishing, if you do not know the people you are fishing near, keep a distance of 50 yards. This changes on some water systems but better safe than sorry.

Observe the direction that the fisherman is moving down the bank. It is not ok to paddle 50 yards ahead of him and start fishing. Try fishing an opposite bank. If you feel you must paddle by it is expected for you to ask if you can slide up the bank a ways and fish. If allowed, make sure it is 100 yards or so up the bank. If you do start catching fish after an allowable pass, it is courteous to invite the angler to come fish that new spot with you.

If you are invited to fish a location with a local, do not give away the spots they show you. If you are the host, it is usually customary to ask the guest to not give away your spots. Set the expectation early.

If fishing in tight quarters, if you must pass between a fisherman and the bank, please ask before going through, especially if he is throwing toward the bank. The best bet is to avoid it as much as possible.

If loading or unloading on a boat ramp, please be quick and efficient. Picnics should not be on the ramp.

If you are loading or unloading with a group, offer to help others take their boats to the water or vehicle.

If you are fishing in a group it is most polite to share what the fish are biting on. If you have additional baits to share, that is a huge plus but not mandatory.

Do not disparage other kayakers if their boat does not meet your standards or brand preference.

Share ideas on rigging and compliment when you see something you like, even if it wouldnt work on your kayak.

Always help a kayaker in distress.

If you are a spot stealer, expect to be labeled as such in the community. We may not post it publicly but we will all know and you will find yourself fishing alone more and more.

Carry extra gear if possible. 360 lights, paddles, PFDs and rope are a good start. You never know who forgot what.

General manners, like saying thank you, go a long way.

People get tight lipped around tournament time. Dont ask. If they want to share their report, they will.

Some folks have sponsors. Some dont. Both sides of the argument need to be ok with each others situation. Dont be pushy.

There is no perfect kayak. Always remember that.

There are no perfect people. Always remember that.

This is just a start to the list and my hope is that others will add to it. Im not the expert that decides these things, just a guy trying to help others know what some of the other folks are thinking and expecting. Feel free to chime in.

Additional submissions:

If it is dark do not leave your vehicle parked at the ramp with the lights on. It blinds other people backing down. Just leave your parking lights on until you pull out.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8514620 01/29/13 06:38 AM
R
RoadBlock Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Pack your boat economically, there is nothing worse when fishing from a yak than clutter.
If you know what your going to be using that day take it and a few other things, you don't need every lure you own.
If you smoke (i used to) ask if people mind you smoking around them, try and stay down wind.
When it comes to safety/emergency equipment its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Don't ever think you won't flip/turtle it can and will happen to 90% of yakkers.
Take your time when choosing a boat/paddle/pfd if you don't love it to start you probably never will.
Be courteous even if others aren't. You get more bees with honey
As my Ma always said. (although you will hear some friendly ribbing )
Don't listen to brand snobs, most of us have a brand we like or dislike. Don't listen to us or like something just because we do. Form your own opinion and let the brand snobs and haters do as they wish.
Show respect, the only way you will ever learn anything in this community is to show respect to who is teaching you, despite age or gender or anything else. I know for a fact there are some young men and women who could woop me in a second. You never know who knows what.
Hang out with everyone you can, visit other camps at Get 2 Gethers.
Just because something looks funny or goofy doesn't mean it is useless. Some of the coolest diy yak stuff looks totally goofy.
Don't be afraid to make/build it yourself and if you do share the idea around.
Most of all get out in your yak whenever you can, you'll only get better with practice but don't get cocky. Somehow the yak gods know and have a way of humbling you.
Enjoy the sport,promote the sport, and prepare for the addiction.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: RoadBlock] #8515310 01/29/13 02:49 PM
readtrio Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Some good ideas here. Its a lot of stuff to remember. Most of it just common sense, which isn't too common these days,

Thanks for the write up!!

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8515822 01/29/13 04:26 PM
R
RoadBlock Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
I think thats the main problem. I thought it was just my 18 year old daughter and her friends but the more i am around college students its like that whole generation hid behind the door when God handed out the common sense!

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8515844 01/29/13 04:34 PM
S
SleepingTiger Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
oops, its a FAQ, not a place to ask questions

Last edited by SleepingTiger; 01/29/13 11:15 PM.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8516134 01/29/13 05:31 PM
D
District Paddle Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
A few safety guidelines:

You need to have a whistle, a PFD, and a fishing license. If you are paddling at night, you need to have a 360 degree light. You should turn your light on 30 minutes before the sun goes down, and in the morning, it should stay illuminated 30 minutes after the sun comes up.

Boat wakes can be tricky. The best way to approach the situation (to avoid taking on water or flipping) is to directly face the wake.

Anchors are great tools, but use them wisely and cautiously. Once you are anchored, it is hard to move your kayak.

Use a float plan. A float plan is a written outline of your intended trip. Use as much detail as possible, such as addresses and markers, and leave the information behind. I leave mine on my fridge for my wife.

While you aren't required to wear a PFD at all times, you are legally required to have one on board. Of course, it is recommended to wear it at all times. Don't rush when purchasing a vest - the idea here is to get the most comfortable vest possible. You won't be tempted to take it off.

Don't leave a stringer of fish hanging off your kayak if you are in the ocean or around alligators.

Learn how to use the various weather websites and phone apps. Staying on top of the weather is important.

How to re-enter your kayak:

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8518444 01/30/13 12:09 AM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8524827 01/31/13 04:09 AM
Y
Yakbuzz Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
Some of the areas we launch from only have a few feet of shoreline that is suitable to back up vehicle to and launch.

Please consider someonne else may want to launch and don't leave your vehicle backed into this shoreside slot while you are on the water.

I have seen this more times than I want.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Yakbuzz] #8528088 01/31/13 10:58 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Yakbuzz
Some of the areas we launch from only have a few feet of shoreline that is suitable to back up vehicle to and launch.

Please consider someonne else may want to launch and don't leave your vehicle backed into this shoreside slot while you are on the water.

I have seen this more times than I want.

This is a pet peeve of mine and especially when there is a large parking area. Just a little common courtesy goes a long way.

Just one more cast!

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8531857 02/01/13 08:25 PM
K
Kayak-Hooligan Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
just a curious thought do we always have to wear our life jacket? sometime it gets annoying or i want to get comfortable that i want to take it off for a couple of hours. can we have it on the yak and not wear it? will there be a fine for not wearing but having one on deck?

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8532118 02/01/13 09:21 PM
P
PayneFish Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
It has to be with you,not on you by law BUT...
I highly recommend you find a lifejacket that is comfortable enough to wear at all times. If you get hit,become unconscious, take a rogue wave you don't have time to get a life jacket or can't because you're not with it. Lives are lost every year and many more are almost lost. Sorry to preach at you but uncomfortable can usually be solved by a different jacket and is a whole lot better than dead. Ask your family. They'll agree with me.

Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8532879 02/02/13 12:15 AM
K
Kayak-Hooligan Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
K
thanks payne!

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8535479 02/02/13 06:01 PM
B
bert Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Most of what I would say is covered but a few I add from personal experience and opinion,

You are always up close and personal with nature in a kayak and accidents are eventually going to happen to you or someone with you, be prepared to handle these things. Know how to remove a hook and when you should and shouldn't remove one, know basic first aid for puncture and laceration style wounds. Be prepared to tow someone in case their injury is too severe.

ALWAYS have a first aid kit, if you get cut or a hook gets stuck in you when you are paddling you are going to need to be able to stabilize any bleeding before paddling to where you can get help. Styptic powder, gauze and waterproof dressings are 3 major necessities for this.

ALWAYS have something to cut hooks with, I keep 8" heavy wire cutters and they go through a 6/0 heavy wire hardened bass hook like butter.

ALWAYS have something to neutralize stings with, the pain from a bee, hornet or scorpion sting can sap your strength and make it easier for you to exhaust yourself. Having a tube or stick of something designed to neutralize the poison and relieve pain can easily save a day of fishing. I use stingeze and have for more than 15 years.

Bert

"Ipsa scientia potestas est"-Knowledge in itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

"Beware the lolipop of mediocrity, one lick and you could suck forever" - unknown author
Re: What You Always Wanted to Know About Kayak Fishing, But Were Afraid to Ask - A Kayak Fishing FAQ [Re: Jerry Hamon] #8535791 02/02/13 07:53 PM
butch sanders Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
dont call sit-ins
SINKS

Last edited by butch sanders; 02/02/13 07:53 PM.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide