Print Thread
Addiction #12218991 04/27/17 11:34 AM
C
christian myrick Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
So over 30 years ago i started paddling. Back then it was my father and i. We had 2 canoes, one for rivers and one for lakes. Now fast forward to now our whole family paddles and we have 5 vikings. 1 reload, 440, 400 lite, gt and a profish 35. I never wouldve imagined when i was 5 i would be such a hoarder of kayaks. Hahaha. They will all be at demo days this sat if you wanna try em.

Re: Addiction [Re: christian myrick] #12219005 04/27/17 11:49 AM
N
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
N
Originally Posted By: christian myrick
So over 30 years ago i started paddling. Back then it was my father and i. We had 2 canoes, one for rivers and one for lakes. Now fast forward to now our whole family paddles and we have 5 vikings. 1 reload, 440, 400 lite, gt and a profish 35. I never wouldve imagined when i was 5 i would be such a hoarder of kayaks. Hahaha. They will all be at demo days this sat if you wanna try em.

Hmmmm, so you own 1 of each model kayak Viking makes? What are you, some kind of rep? grin

I with you on the hoarding. Although I've only been kayaking for 15 years I own 4 kayaks for myself with my oldest being a 2003 WS The Ride (my very first kayak) and my "newest" a 2011 WS Ride 135 with a couple of 2007 Perception Searches (13 & 15) in between. All four are identically rigged with a crate/rod holders, anchor trolley, seat, and rudder. I somehow have accumulated 5 paddles and 9 PFDs as well. I'm rigged as well as most guides. crazy

"Water is life's matter and matrix, mother and medium. There is no life without water." -Albert Szent-Gyorgyi

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." - Heraclitus
Re: Addiction [Re: christian myrick] #12219076 04/27/17 12:45 PM
C
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
Its nice to be able to say...which one today...

Re: Addiction [Re: christian myrick] #12219984 04/27/17 08:17 PM
R
Rhino68W Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Hey Christian! Have you seen the Chad Hoover and Flukemaster video about paddling? And if so how do you feel about the paddling advice Chad gives for fishing kayaks? Especially for the way it pertains to larger kayak fishermen like me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k000hSl8fSI

Re: Addiction [Re: Rhino68W] #12220034 04/27/17 08:44 PM
C
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Rhino68W
Hey Christian! Have you seen the Chad Hoover and Flukemaster video about paddling? And if so how do you feel about the paddling advice Chad gives for fishing kayaks? Especially for the way it pertains to larger kayak fishermen like me?

Well i agree with most of what he said. I believe good paddles are amazing and definitely make a difference but the best paddle in the world wont help a poor stroke. I also believe with most every fishing type sot people should focus on a high angle swing. Now native, pa etc have an exemption in this case. Tecnique is hands down the most important thing you can learn. Then spend the money on a great paddle. Thats when you will see the benifit. I dont like an adjustable length paddle, i believe you get the best fitting paddle for paddling. The amount of time most of us spend standing is much less than the time spent sit down paddling. The height adjustable seats wont make that much difference. Lots of us have our own opinions on how to do things. Another point i like he said, paddle without splash. The more noise you make the more energy you waist. There are many smarter, trained people to ask. Ive never had any formal training my father and i just did it and did it alot. I love to paddle.

Re: Addiction [Re: christian myrick] #12220647 04/28/17 03:26 AM
P
pelican Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
I'm guilty of owning 3 kayaks and I want 1 more, I have a bad stroke but I still love being out there fighting it.
Yep, I'm addicted.

I've never been good, But I've been Lucky!
I don't Lie or Exaggerate, but sometimes I remember BIG!
Re: Addiction [Re: christian myrick] #12220848 04/28/17 12:42 PM
R
Rhino68W Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: christian myrick
Originally Posted By: Rhino68W

Well i agree with most of what he said. I believe good paddles are amazing and definitely make a difference but the best paddle in the world wont help a poor stroke. I also believe with most every fishing type sot people should focus on a high angle swing. Now native, pa etc have an exemption in this case. Tecnique is hands down the most important thing you can learn. Then spend the money on a great paddle. Thats when you will see the benifit. I dont like an adjustable length paddle, i believe you get the best fitting paddle for paddling. The amount of time most of us spend standing is much less than the time spent sit down paddling. The height adjustable seats wont make that much difference. Lots of us have our own opinions on how to do things. Another point i like he said, paddle without splash. The more noise you make the more energy you waist. There are many smarter, trained people to ask. Ive never had any formal training my father and i just did it and did it alot. I love to paddle.

After I watched their video I went to PK and focused on the "no splash" areas. It seemed to help some but I have more practice to do. I think I am rushing to get into the next stroke that I don't let the rear paddle exit the water on its own.

Re: Addiction [Re: christian myrick] #12220951 04/28/17 01:44 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I like both means of propulsion almost equally. What really draws me in on paddling is it is so clean, simple . . . and having no mechanical issues to maintain. I find little difference in terms of energy output one from the other.

I guess on really long pulls, the pedal kayaks are easier but not by all that much because when you paddle, you glide better. You don't have the bottom end of a drive catching water and paddlers are almost always sleeker moving across water. So, you can paddle a quarter mile and glide (assuming calm water) another 50 yards and take in the views, then paddle again. It has a slightly different cadence to it.

No mistaking, at least on my part, though, that the pedalers and especially the bike pedal types, are going to out-fish paddlers in most cases but not all.

Yep! I dropped a few extra dollars and bought a Werner paddle. Whew! It is like night and day compared to my other paddle. I agree with the idea that we should use a rather deep stroke.

If anyone ends up on Lake Athens and wants to try a paddler, too, a primer on paddling technique, let me know. After learning to "stab" the paddle into the water and the angles, my speed went up about 1 or 2 MPH I would say.

Brad

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide