Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Kaying Broken Bow Lake #11599614 05/12/16 07:21 PM
BigBassB Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Ill be there next weekend with a fleet of Kayaks hoping to get on some good fish. Planning to hit the main lake, only part of the lake I have fished before is Steven's Gap(did decent last year in the very back).

Anyone been lately? What's the water clarity? Any good fishing reports? Suggestions, comments, tips all appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Kaying Broken Bow Lake [Re: BigBassB] #11602533 05/14/16 01:31 PM
Y
YAKnIT Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
I haven't fished many different parts of that lake. However, there are two places you can put in at the upper end of the lake, it just requires a few miles on dirt roads to get there.
The one furthest up is called Panther Creek. Its maybe a mile down from where the Mtn. Fork empties into the lake. You turn onto road D54300 off of highway 259. You just go eat about a mile and it ends at the lake. There are some primitive camp spots back there.
The second one is a few miles further south, but I'm not sure if it has an actual name. According to Google maps, you leave highway 259 and turn onto D4631. As you go east, the road is then called Johnny Beavers trail. I would recommend using the google maps app as you drive toward the lake, as there are numerous other roads, forks in the road, etc. There are also some primitive camp spots back there.
At both of these spots you just launch at any good looking spot. There's no ramp.
These are good alternatives if want avoid wind on the main lake, especially the one furthest north.

Re: Kaying Broken Bow Lake [Re: YAKnIT] #11605317 05/16/16 01:45 PM
BigBassB Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Originally Posted By: YAKnIT
I haven't fished many different parts of that lake. However, there are two places you can put in at the upper end of the lake, it just requires a few miles on dirt roads to get there.
The one furthest up is called Panther Creek. Its maybe a mile down from where the Mtn. Fork empties into the lake. You turn onto road D54300 off of highway 259. You just go eat about a mile and it ends at the lake. There are some primitive camp spots back there.
The second one is a few miles further south, but I'm not sure if it has an actual name. According to Google maps, you leave highway 259 and turn onto D4631. As you go east, the road is then called Johnny Beavers trail. I would recommend using the google maps app as you drive toward the lake, as there are numerous other roads, forks in the road, etc. There are also some primitive camp spots back there.
At both of these spots you just launch at any good looking spot. There's no ramp.
These are good alternatives if want avoid wind on the main lake, especially the one furthest north.

That sounds awesome. We will have to check it out. Thanks

Re: Kaying Broken Bow Lake [Re: BigBassB] #11605342 05/16/16 01:55 PM
P
pearow Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Is there a good place to launch in the river just above the lake?-p-

Re: Kaying Broken Bow Lake [Re: pearow] #11606952 05/17/16 01:18 AM
Y
YAKnIT Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
Originally Posted By: pearow
Is there a good place to launch in the river just above the lake?-p-

You can launch at Panther Creek, which I mentioned above. It's not on the river but is less than a mile from where the river flows in. You can paddle up to where the river dumps in, and there's a good size creek that flows in from the east. You can venture up that creek arm.
There is a spot not to far up river called "the narrows". It's a low-water bridge that goes across the river when the water Is low, and when the river is high the water flows over the road. According to google maps this road is called "wey co 28000". I don't know if there's a sign for that road or not. You can put in there and then float down to the lake. You'll want to drop a car at Panther creek. That float will take you a few hours or so, depending on water flow and how much time you spend fishing. You can do this float when the river is not to high or not too low. IMO, 100-500 cfs is the right range. I did this float in April and we caught a bunch of decent sized sand bass that had run up the river, plus a few largemouth.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide