Print Thread
Humminbird 698ci HD SI vs Helix 7 SI GPS #11275580 12/11/15 04:40 AM
T
Topwater Dude Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
Newbie looking for FF for Propel Slayer for bass & crappie fishing at Rayburn 95% of time

I've tried to research these but am getting confused. The 698 is on sale for $400. The Helix is in the $600's.

What is the difference in the two? Helix worth the extra $250 or so?

Re: Humminbird 698ci HD SI vs Helix 7 SI GPS [Re: Topwater Dude] #11275928 12/11/15 02:19 PM
P
pelican Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Which Helix are you looking at?

If you are looking at the Helix 5 SI GPS the main difference I see is:
1) The 698 has 3 view preset buttons and the Helix has none.
2) The Helix has a wider screen
3) The Helix has 1 micro SD card slot and the 698 has a standard SD card slot

For me I would prefer the wider screen but I also like the 3 preset buttons for views.
If I were choosing between these two units I'd go with the Helix. You'll only spend the extra $ once but you'll be looking at that screen every time you go fishing.

Last edited by pelican; 12/11/15 03:01 PM.

I've never been good, But I've been Lucky!
I don't Lie or Exaggerate, but sometimes I remember BIG!
Re: Humminbird 698ci HD SI vs Helix 7 SI GPS [Re: Topwater Dude] #11276044 12/11/15 03:05 PM
T
Todd Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
One difference is the pixel matrix to display size. I was looking at the Helix 5, 598, and 698. All in the same price range at the time. Best thing I did was go to Basspro and look at them all turned on. Helix 5 with 800v x 480h on a 5" display looked awesome but was too small for me to see because it was laid sideways. The 698 with 480h x 640v 5" display looked bigger the way it was turned but was too poor quality pixel to make out fish on SI. The 598 with 640v x 640h 5" display also laid out like the 698 was just right with the higher pixel matrix. Now I haven't looked at the Helix 7 but with a bigger display it might be really nice. The bigger display the better when it comes to SI.

Is it worth the extra money? For my getting older eyes it is.

Last edited by Todd; 12/11/15 03:06 PM.
Re: Humminbird 698ci HD SI vs Helix 7 SI GPS [Re: Todd] #11276250 12/11/15 04:49 PM
P
pelican Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Originally Posted By: Todd
One difference is the pixel matrix to display size. I was looking at the Helix 5, 598, and 698. All in the same price range at the time. Best thing I did was go to Basspro and look at them all turned on. Helix 5 with 800v x 480h on a 5" display looked awesome but was too small for me to see because it was laid sideways. The 698 with 480h x 640v 5" display looked bigger the way it was turned but was too poor quality pixel to make out fish on SI. The 598 with 640v x 640h 5" display also laid out like the 698 was just right with the higher pixel matrix. Now I haven't looked at the Helix 7 but with a bigger display it might be really nice. The bigger display the better when it comes to SI.

Is it worth the extra money? For my getting older eyes it is.

IMO, just should buy one size bigger than you can afford, it only hurts once!

Re: Humminbird 698ci HD SI vs Helix 7 SI GPS [Re: pelican] #11276609 12/11/15 08:12 PM
T
Todd Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
Originally Posted By: pelican
IMO, just should buy one size bigger than you can afford, it only hurts once!

If I added up what I spent on each FF I bought working up to what I have now, I could have started out with twice what I have now. huh

Re: Humminbird 698ci HD SI vs Helix 7 SI GPS [Re: Topwater Dude] #11276647 12/11/15 08:34 PM
T
Topwater Dude Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
T
Ok. Sounds like the Helix 7 is preference of the two.
Now if I can just catch it on sale soon!

And my eyes of 56 yrs are old also.

Should I have any problems in mounting the unit? Transducer?

Last edited by Topwater Dude; 12/11/15 08:36 PM.
Re: Humminbird 698ci HD SI vs Helix 7 SI GPS [Re: Topwater Dude] #11276699 12/11/15 08:56 PM
B
bert Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Topwater Dude

You are more likely to find too many options for mounting it that are pretty easy and have difficulty choosing one.

Bert

"Ipsa scientia potestas est"-Knowledge in itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

"Beware the lolipop of mediocrity, one lick and you could suck forever" - unknown author
Re: Humminbird 698ci HD SI vs Helix 7 SI GPS [Re: Topwater Dude] #11276724 12/11/15 09:11 PM
P
pelican Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Originally Posted By: Topwater Dude
Ok. Sounds like the Helix 7 is preference of the two.
Now if I can just catch it on sale soon!

And my eyes of 56 yrs are old also.

Jump back on here when you get one, we are full of opinions, good luck.

Re: Humminbird 698ci HD SI vs Helix 7 SI GPS [Re: Topwater Dude] #11276773 12/11/15 09:37 PM
shadboy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Topwater here is the review I did on the Helix 7. It is on my hobie PA. Great unit.

First want to say thanks to David at Shut up and Fish. Great guy to work with and will answer all your questions.

Helix 7 SI. Was using a 2 year old Lowrance DSI that the tech is probably 4 years old so this is not an apples to apples comparison.

Pro's
SI was as good as promised. Being a crappie guy looking for BP's I can see this making it much easier to find new piles. Very good image. The experts say to upgrade to the HDSI transducer but I am too impatient to wait so used the compact, that comes with system. Will say Doug Vahrenberg's tips say to put SI sensitivity to 10-12. I will say on soft bottom 10'-20' 11 at least and deeper you may need 12-13 otherwise it is a little too dark (for me). I thought the transducer produced very good, easily recognizable images.

Bright, bright screen.

DI. I know they use side pulses to get the DI but out of the box I didn't think they were great. Will try different settings next time to see if I can improve image on DI.

Sonar. Not having sonar on my last one I wasn't sure I would miss it. I really don't miss it that much. Fish ID. Humminbird experts say that it works very good. I did see a few fish in submerged trees and caught one at that depth. Now I fished that tree cause I usualy catch crappie there. Will have to find a new to me pile, see if any Fish ID's show up and see if crappie are at the stated depth. If it works it will markedly improve my catching. Maybe grin

GPS. SO MUCH BETTER than old one. It is very responsive. Did some test and usual was 1 second response. On old one would have to approach waypoint from 20-30 yards away to get good location cause it wouldn't update fast enough. Now as soon as you can turn around you can go right back to way point.

Cons. Come on HB, what is with the sd card slot. 1st the door completely detaches from case. 2nd it is very hard to get card out. I thought about bringing a blank card out and getting screen shots but am afraid I might lose Navionics card or door if not extremely careful. bang

Install is on PA and you can find a thread on Hobie PA forums and I followed that guys steps for making a retractable transducer mount in the transducer pad for PA's. Pretty easy if you are good with dremel. I am not.

I think this will help me on crappie fishing and getting better idea of what is below me. I think either 5 or 7 will work great for yakers. Will update when I get more time on the water with it.

Re: Humminbird 698ci HD SI vs Helix 7 SI GPS [Re: Topwater Dude] #11276803 12/11/15 09:59 PM
P
pelican Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
I definitely vote that bigger is better but keep in mind as you go up in size you will also be going up in power consumption. The Helix 7 uses 800 mA so you may have to increase your battery Ah capacity. For me that would not be a issue for the benefit of having a bigger unit. Just something to consider.

Re: Humminbird 698ci HD SI vs Helix 7 SI GPS [Re: shadboy] #11278410 12/12/15 11:28 PM
W
Wayne P. Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted By: shadboy
Topwater here is the review I did on the Helix 7. It is on my hobie PA. Great unit.

First want to say thanks to David at Shut up and Fish. Great guy to work with and will answer all your questions.

Helix 7 SI. Was using a 2 year old Lowrance DSI that the tech is probably 4 years old so this is not an apples to apples comparison.

Pro's
SI was as good as promised. Being a crappie guy looking for BP's I can see this making it much easier to find new piles. Very good image. The experts say to upgrade to the HDSI transducer but I am too impatient to wait so used the compact, that comes with system. Will say Doug Vahrenberg's tips say to put SI sensitivity to 10-12. I will say on soft bottom 10'-20' 11 at least and deeper you may need 12-13 otherwise it is a little too dark (for me). I thought the transducer produced very good, easily recognizable images.

Bright, bright screen.

DI. I know they use side pulses to get the DI but out of the box I didn't think they were great. Will try different settings next time to see if I can improve image on DI.

Sonar. Not having sonar on my last one I wasn't sure I would miss it. I really don't miss it that much. Fish ID. Humminbird experts say that it works very good. I did see a few fish in submerged trees and caught one at that depth. Now I fished that tree cause I usualy catch crappie there. Will have to find a new to me pile, see if any Fish ID's show up and see if crappie are at the stated depth. If it works it will markedly improve my catching. Maybe grin

GPS. SO MUCH BETTER than old one. It is very responsive. Did some test and usual was 1 second response. On old one would have to approach waypoint from 20-30 yards away to get good location cause it wouldn't update fast enough. Now as soon as you can turn around you can go right back to way point.

Cons. Come on HB, what is with the sd card slot. 1st the door completely detaches from case. 2nd it is very hard to get card out. I thought about bringing a blank card out and getting screen shots but am afraid I might lose Navionics card or door if not extremely careful. bang

Install is on PA and you can find a thread on Hobie PA forums and I followed that guys steps for making a retractable transducer mount in the transducer pad for PA's. Pretty easy if you are good with dremel. I am not.

I think this will help me on crappie fishing and getting better idea of what is below me. I think either 5 or 7 will work great for yakers. Will update when I get more time on the water with it.

Humminbird's FishID is selective in that a fish will not get a symbol assigned unless it meets the criteria for a symbol. Its swim bladder has to be the size of about a 1- 1/2# bass to get even the smallest of the three size symbols. If you see FishID symbols for crappie,they are NICE ones.

This is a very large school of crappie and only a few were larger enough to be assigned a symbol and those symbols are the smallest of the three.

Yesterday I was bass fishing and saw a school of fish with Side Imaging and 2D sonar beside a submerged bridge but they did not get a symbol for any of them. I caught several crappie in the 10"-12" range on a bass jig swimming it through that school. I had caught some bass nearby that were less than 1#.

Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G3N and G4N, 1198c SI, SOLIX 10 SI G3,
Helix 8 MEGA SI+ GPS G4N, SOLIX 12 SI and G3, MEGA 360, MEGA LIVE TL, RC-1
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide