Print Thread
Diablo amigo #11050363 08/19/15 03:22 AM
T
txninja Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Who has one? Thinking about getting one. I'll be using it for duck hunting, bass fishing in lakes and some light river fishing. Done a lot of research but I wanted some input. There's no way for me to test one, I live way too far away from a dealer. Thanks

Re: Diablo amigo [Re: txninja] #11050427 08/19/15 04:10 AM
F
FreshSalt09 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
My buddy has the Adios and his biggest complaints are the width and the weight. It's a nightmare to cartop by yourself. The amigo is wider and heavier but if that's not a concern, go for it. The stability of the adios was decent. Very similar to my old Cuda 14 while sight casting.

If you're looking for a good dual purpose hunting/fishing kayak, I would check out the nucanoes and native ultimates too. Both of those boats have features that were specifically designed for duck hunting\fishing dual roles.

I just bought a native ultimate a couple weeks ago and I am very happy with it.

Re: Diablo amigo [Re: txninja] #11050528 08/19/15 10:57 AM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I really like its sleek looks! Kayaks are developing several sorts of new themes. Some are pushing propulsion systems other than paddling, some are obviously built with fishing in mind almost exclusively . . . then with this vessel you can see that it is keying off sort of the combined popularities of SOT (Sit on top) kayaks and SUP (stand up paddle) boards.

Anyway, a very cool hybrid. 38" width is a design attribute, not a flaw, intended to give it the stability. But, what I'd do is rig up a rope or even an elastic exercise strand so that when you reach across to grab it, you can reach it better; that or some sort of rigging like canoeists use to assist shouldering or lifting their vessels. Otherwise, it will sort of tip you too far over for good lifting leverage.

Since it has such a flat profile, I'd imagine it would be very easy to top carry with just a bit of experimenting.

One other thing, just as an observation from someone who owns both a kayak and a canoe, for the intentions you have listed, a Meyers Sportspal S-15 or S-16 would be super stable. Even two guys can stand up at the same time. I believe they weigh 57 lbs., and are made from aircraft aluminum. So, if you need something occasionally for two hunters/fishermen, or you are taking along a dog, this would be an interesting option.

It won't have the "cool" factor, but the canoe has a very broad range of applications including easy mounting of trolling motors to cross large lakes. And, you can carry a much larger payload.

Brad

Last edited by Brad R; 08/19/15 11:00 AM. Reason: oops
Re: Diablo amigo [Re: txninja] #11050902 08/19/15 03:15 PM
g.a.gonzales Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
The diablo amigo is like fishing off a dock. And cannot be compared to any other yak in it's price range on the market. It will float through what most people have to drag through with it's shallow draft. I use it for both duck hunting and fishing. No, it's not the fastest kayak on the market. But when I got one that's not what I was after. A good paddler with a good paddling stroke can keep up with someone in any boat so long as you are just cruising. The one thing I would suggest is to not buy one without buying the skeg. The skeg makes it a totally different boat... in a good way. Diablo paddlesports has a lot of tournament wins in the kayak bass fishing circuits In texas... and for good reason. If you can ever make it to fort Worth, Backwoods can get you in one to demo.

www.somethinfishycustomrods.com
Re: Diablo amigo [Re: txninja] #11081507 09/03/15 08:04 PM
K
Kent Meadows aka Team Hooligan Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Txninja, if its not to late: I have a Diablo Audios and my son has the Amigo. Bottom line we love them, and could honestly have any boat made. We chose these Diablo boats for one thing and one thing only STABILITY! I can stand and fling 10" 6oz swimbaits all night w/o even slightly rocking the boat. I can serve up a massive hook set while punching deep grass with no issues. I can fly fish all day and never fatigue do to the seating/standing ability. As for as a skeg yes if your lake has no grass...mine is full of both floating debris and standing emergent so a skeg is a huge disadvantage for us here in Austin. My son and I both have trucks so loading is never an issue....hope this helps sorry for the late reply.

Last edited by Kent Meadows aka Team Hooligan; 09/03/15 08:05 PM.

" Used to Chase giant's on Lake Austin & Town Lake "

Re: Diablo amigo [Re: txninja] #11082379 09/04/15 02:41 AM
G
GoodOleG Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
I currently own a Diablo Adios and have to side with g.a.gonzales!!! It's the most stable kayak I've been on to date! Mairner Sails had their demo days last wkend down the street from me at white rock and I tested many kayaks. Wilderness, Native, Hobie and Nucanoe. None of them compared to my Adios. Im 6' 210lbs and I have no issue standing, moving bow to stern and feel very secure while on the Adios! I found a simple technique to car top it with no issue. I bought a bath mat for $5 and rack pads. I lift one end up on the bath mat to the side of my 4Runner and simply stabilize it there, then walk to the rear end and lift it up into my rack pads and it easily slides into place. I've had no issues loading and unloading the Adios. It's by far the best value for a kayak, especially for sight fishing, fly fishing and all around skinny water fishing. The skeg is a must for tracking and if installed correctly you can raise and lower it as needed. With the skeg in down position you'll track for days. If you need to turn quickly simply raise it and you can turn on a dime. I can't say enough about Diablo Paddlesports. They have truly changed the game. I've even used the Adios solely as a SUP to hang with friends. It's a very versatile watercraft made by Texans in Texas. It won't disappoint and like Guillermo said its hot right now in the tourney circuit! Hell he's catching monsters out of his all the time!!! I hope my input helped. Good luck and tight lines!!!

~ G

Musician~Outdoorsman~Traveler
Diablo Paddlesports ProStaff
www.facebook.com/GoodOleG
www.instagram.com/GoodOleG
Re: Diablo amigo [Re: txninja] #11135236 09/29/15 07:39 PM
T
txninja Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Guys thanks for the input, I ordered the Amigo from Austin Kayak and it's coming in today. I'm pumped!

Re: Diablo amigo [Re: txninja] #11143199 10/03/15 07:06 PM
T
txninja Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Got to take the amigo out a couple of days ago. It's awesome for what I use it for. Stability is amazing. Look forward to duck hunting and fishing out of it. I've never beenin a yak where I felt more stable. Very happy with my purchase.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide