Print Thread
I'm New and Looking for Your Experience #11020294 08/04/15 11:26 PM
B
boylerpig Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
Howdy all. As I stated above I'm looking for your experience in both of your failures and successes. I have a Hobie PA14 on order and need some outfitting help. I have looked through the old posts here and gleaned some good information but looking for more.

First is a PFD to be worn full time while fishing. I can swim, just don't want to. Comfort and safety are my concerns. Suggestions?

Second is a battery to run a fishfinder as well as inboard / outboard lighting when necessary. I found some 12V 20Ah deep cells that would seem to fit the job but again I'm looking for your experience.

I used to fish out of an Alumcraft 17 ft and I can see outfitting a kayak that weight and size are more of an issue.
Thanks for any help you can provide.

BP...

Why lie when the truth is so much more fun!
Re: I'm New and Looking for Your Experience [Re: boylerpig] #11020550 08/05/15 01:10 AM
B
bert Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
With the size of that boat get a trailer is my first suggestion. Which model fish finder? How long are you going to stay out? Navigation lights or full strings of fishing lights? Knowing these factors would determine the best battery for your needs.

I like to wear inflatable pfd's in the summer time and traditional flotation pfd's in the winter.

Bert

"Ipsa scientia potestas est"-Knowledge in itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

"Beware the lolipop of mediocrity, one lick and you could suck forever" - unknown author
Re: I'm New and Looking for Your Experience [Re: boylerpig] #11020652 08/05/15 01:49 AM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
You'll definitely need a trailer, that is for sure! That is one big, solid vessel!

But, the PA 14 comes so loaded down with standard goodies that other than looking for those specifics you mention, I'd be slow to outfit it.

A lot of us with other makes and models need to add rod holders; you won't need to, at least not at first, because you have all of that horizontal rod storage. You won't need a trolling motor; you have a propulsion system that could likely keep up with a trolling motor. The stock seat is great so that should be okay.

Anyway, you get the idea, be a bit slow to outfit it until you watch countless videos of how others are doing it, see them out on the water, then decide what you really want before you start drilling holes and so forth. Early purchases are often impulsive. And, accessories are expensive.

Not sure whether the PA 14 comes with a paddle as standard or not, but I like the double bladed models to move a big vessel like that around without swinging a single back and forth from side to side.

I bet you love the PA 14.

Brad

Re: I'm New and Looking for Your Experience [Re: Brad R] #11022491 08/05/15 07:59 PM
B
boylerpig Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
B
10-4 on the slow to outfit. I don't mind spending money when and where it's needed but I love saving a buck if i can build it myself. wink

I plan on both gulf and local lake fishing. I know the PA14 is a bigger kayak than most but I feel it will meet my needs the best. All my years of boylerpig'n has taken it's toll on my body and I'll save my arms for casting instead of paddling. I would like to think some all day trips are still in my fishing future.

To answer a few of y'alls questions:
FF is a Lowrance Elite 5
Lights would be navigation, cockpit and some extras on the hull for the higher visibility (I've had power boats try to run over me when I had my Alumacraft).

Thank'ya.. BP...

Why lie when the truth is so much more fun!
Re: I'm New and Looking for Your Experience [Re: boylerpig] #11026130 08/07/15 03:25 AM
Okyakfishing Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
I will say that for a new kayak you have started off right, most of us can only dream of such a nice rig. Don't get in a hurry to buy a lot of extra's, spend some time in the kayak and then decide the best layout and what works best for you. I bought a locator for my kayak first thing because I thought I needed one since I have them on the bass boat but haven't even put it on my kayak yet been a couple of years now. Most of the time you will be fishing shallow or at least I do in small lakes and rivers so I haven't found a need for the locator.

Either way - enjoy and if you just hate your new kayak. I'm sure several guys on here will give you at least a $1000 for it any day. cool

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide