Print Thread
All the Kayak Accessible Rigs Along the Texas Coast #10745533 04/04/15 08:04 PM
S
Sharkinator Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
I thought it might be an interesting topic for everyone to pool their knowledge of all the rigs along the coast that are within 3 miles of the shore. We have the ones that we fish, but I was interested in possibly trying some new places, but did not want to have to endlessly cruise the coast looking for near shore rigs. Here is a list of all the rigs I have fished or know about. If you know of any other rigs and their locations please add to the list.

Bolivar Peninsula

There is a rig a mile or two north of the North Galveston Jetty. As I recall it is 2 or 3 miles out. My guess is that it is probably the most over fished rig in the gulf because of its location. Made one trip out a couple of years ago. Caught sharks drifting back in, but nothing at the rig.

Surfside

There is a rig several miles north of town. Never fished this one, but it is fairly close in. I would guess about a mile and a half.

Mustang Island

The Mayan Princess rigs about 10 miles south of Port A. Over 10 rigs in all, but 4 that are fairly close together that are the easiest to access by kayak. The closest is about 1 1/2 miles out.

Mustang Island State Park standpipe. We camped out at Mustang Island State Park last year and noticed a standpipe very close in to shore. It might have been only a half mile from shore. It is so close that it is hardly visible from outside the park. We fished the Mayan Princess rigs that day, so we were not able to check it out. Has anyone visited this one? Any luck?

North Padre Island

Bob Hall Standpipe - Easily found about a mile and a half off of Bob Hall pier. Popular destination of kayak fishermen.

PINS rig and standpipe - This is my favorite rig because it is out of the way and not fished very often. It is about 1 1/2 miles offshore, but 20 miles or so from the nearest port. Therefore, boats rarely visit it. There is a standpipe another 1/2-3/4 miles beyond this rig. Never made the trip to that one since I always seem to catch something at the short rig. This rig is located about 7 miles down the beach in Padre Island National Seashore. It appears to not be functioning and a larger rig further offshore from this one disappeared last year. I am really hoping this one is not next on the hit list.

Anyone have any rigs to add to this list? Are there any on the northern coast or down on South Padre?

Re: All the Kayak Accessible Rigs Along the Texas Coast [Re: Sharkinator] #10806337 04/29/15 03:46 PM
S
Sharkinator Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
S
Are these all the accessible rigs? I saw a "Matagorda rig" mentioned in a post. Is anyone familiar with that rig and its location? OMG

Re: All the Kayak Accessible Rigs Along the Texas Coast [Re: Sharkinator] #10806368 04/29/15 03:56 PM
B
bert Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Have you tried using the Navionics web app to look for them?

http://webapp.navionics.com/

Bert

"Ipsa scientia potestas est"-Knowledge in itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

"Beware the lolipop of mediocrity, one lick and you could suck forever" - unknown author
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide